View Full Version : New word required

Mr Proachpoint
19th Oct 2004, 04:46
The Oxford Dictionary is looking for a new word to describe the damage caused to a cellphone when its vibrating ringer causes it to vibrate off a shelf and disintegrate onto a concrete floor. The words I used are already commonplace.........


19th Oct 2004, 05:19


and doesnt have a dictionary meaning yet.... untill now that is!:ok: :ok:

19th Oct 2004, 06:57
Surely not. I thought "vibrage" was the emotion felt by ladies when the batteries have run out at an inopportune moment!

19th Oct 2004, 07:39
They are starting the wrong end. It's the name for someone who leaves a cellphone with the vibrating option on that is relevant. And there are already lots in the English language ;)

19th Oct 2004, 08:51
I'd like to put forward the word vibraster which is a clever combination of the words vibrate and disaster. Only the brighter readers would have spotted that.
I don't believe the word already exists but I stand to be corrected.

19th Oct 2004, 09:28
Come on! And you call yourself pilots?
Why hasn't anyone put forward an acronym like:
V.I.T.P. - Vibration Induced Tumbling Phenomenon.

19th Oct 2004, 09:35
vibrofrap; verb, active. (from the French vibrofrappage), 1. the action of a vibrating mobile-phone falling off a ledge, counter etc onto a hard surface and sustaining damage,; past.participle vibrofrapped, abbreviated to vrapped.

19th Oct 2004, 10:09
SONOSHAT is my choice.
From sonorous....resonant and shatter to break up.Also has that good feeling of saying it...My phone just sonoshat itself.

19th Oct 2004, 10:24
The phone vibrating off the bedside table has happened to me on more than one occasion (I find that using the phone on vibrate makes an excellent alarm clock. Honest) so I had already developed an appropriate descriptive word.


Tower Ranger
19th Oct 2004, 10:47
How about VIBREAK as a new verb.
What`s wrong with your phone? I VIBROKE it, DOH!

19th Oct 2004, 11:02
Depending on the type of incoming message ......


Then again, taking the mobile/cellphone industry penchant for running abbreviations together;

MONOMO - (MObile NO MOre) :}

19th Oct 2004, 13:46

19th Oct 2004, 16:38
..........................................ronnied........... ...................

simon brown
19th Oct 2004, 16:50
Tamed Bill

Vibraster cant be used as this is already used to describe an "ethnic council workman involved in the digging up of roads utilising compressed air driven tools"

"Vibervert" could be used for some one who places the phone in their front trouser pocket in vibrate mode, who encourages others to phone them frequently....also known as phone sex


19th Oct 2004, 16:55
"Vibrexed"? as in vibrated, fell, exploded...or was that the dodgy battery...


19th Oct 2004, 18:31
simon brown

I'm crestfallen to find 'my' word invention already exists.
I do hope you are pleased with yourself in pointing this out and shattering a girls dreams of becoming a famous new word inventor.
You heartless beast you.

None of the above
19th Oct 2004, 18:54

As the phone has 'taken off', I suppose 'V1brate might be appropriate.

19th Oct 2004, 18:55
How about:


Val d'Isere
19th Oct 2004, 18:58
thankchristthateffinthingsbustpeaceandquietatlast :rolleyes: