PDA

View Full Version : How to breath during a freefall while parachuting

Hay Ewe
18th Oct 2004, 22:42
Was playing a board game with the missus last night and got asked this question.

How to Breathe During A Freefall While Parachuting

A - Take slow, deep breaths

B - Take quick, short breats

C - You do not need to breathe at all through your mouth and nose. You will breathe through your skin.

Post some replies and tomorrow morning I shall post the answer that the game reakons is the correct one.

Hay Ewe

Onan the Clumsy
18th Oct 2004, 22:44
The answer is "Big breaths"...

...ethpethially if you're only thickthteen

:E

Another St Ivian
18th Oct 2004, 22:47
Anyway you can would be my answer! When I did a tandem for my birthday I nearly forgot the breathing bit. Could've been embarrasing.

ASI

criticalmass
18th Oct 2004, 22:52
As a vetaran of 2014 jumps (1073 of which were camera-jumps) I just breathed quite normally.

Onan the Clumsy
18th Oct 2004, 23:37
I once saw a tandem student hurl in the air. :yuk:

That was funny, but not for the tandem master :E

x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
:ooh:
:yuk:

AntiCrash
19th Oct 2004, 03:55
It is rumoured that the crafty French Parachutists can breathe through thier ears.:hmm:

Val d'Isere
19th Oct 2004, 06:55
I find that when I jump, I start off with slow, deep breaths, becoming quick, short breaths* towards the end.

*As opposd to "breats", Mr Hay Ewe.

Flying Lawyer
19th Oct 2004, 07:06
I've only jumped once, tandem from 12,000 feet, with the Army club at Netheravon.
The freefall was exciting and exhilarating - but I'm not sure I breathed at all until the canopy opened at 4,000'. :)

Wonderful experience - recommended. :ok:

FL

http://www.bluetonguehelicopters.com.au/pprune/touchngo.gif

Solid Rust Twotter
19th Oct 2004, 13:00
3800+ jumps. First few freefalls at or near terminal velocity one would breathe deeply and deliberately. Once one becomes more experienced it becomes habit and one would breathe normally.

Ozzy
19th Oct 2004, 14:07
Whatever yer do, don't hold yer breath or yer lungs will explode:uhoh: :eek:

Ozzy

eal401
19th Oct 2004, 14:27
I suspect if I tried such a pursuit, my breathing would consist of exhaling only and the following:

S

H

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

T

!

!

Or something similar! :E

ad astra
19th Oct 2004, 16:10
Whatever yer do, don't hold yer breath or yer lungs will explode

Ozzy

No no, that's exactly the wrong way round. Your lungs expand as pressure decreases.
You should never have breathing problems when you're going down....

gingernut
19th Oct 2004, 16:21
It is rumoured that the crafty French Parachutists can breathe through thier ears.

I always thought those French were cunning linguists.

Val d'Isere
19th Oct 2004, 18:53
Nah, that would make the French Ace-aurals.

Second thoughts, p'raps that's spot on! :}

Another post a dead cert to get deleted. :{

Paterbrat
19th Oct 2004, 20:32
In...and out, as per normal.

XXTSGR
19th Oct 2004, 22:38
As another former skydiver (now well-qualified for POPs :{ ) I never found any problem breathing normally.

Unlike the occasion when, as a jumpship driver, I realised that one of the skydivers had exited the aircraft taking the ignition key (C206) with him, the son of unmarried parents! :uhoh: :ooh: :eek: :mad: I didn't breathe much until I did a successful deadstick landing safely. Next occasion he was spotting I managed to take the aircraft out from under him and put him out 7 miles short of the DZ. :E

av8boy
19th Oct 2004, 23:56
I select: "C - You do not need to breathe at all through your mouth and nose. You will breathe through your skin."

The reason is simple (yet, my logic may well be misguided)... I think the question was only asked because the answer provided by the game was so absurd. That answer was "C," as noted.

If it wasn't "C," then why go to the trouble of posting the question?

I am prepared to be shown the door on this one, but it certainly seems that the question was posted because the answer provided by the game was, well, stupid.

Dave

Hay Ewe
20th Oct 2004, 00:06
Well, as promised, details about the question.

As av8boy stated, it is so absured that the answer must be 'C'.

Well, that is the answer to the question acording to the game but feel free to continue to discuss.

Its the board game called Worse case scenario, following on from the book and some of questions and answers are pretty absurd.

Anyway, apprantly people, whilst free falling, can breath through their skin!!!

Well, I suppose this thread will now dissapear into the ether of archives that is the history of PPRUNE, unless the humour keeps it going.

On another boring night, maybe I shall find another Question worthy of posting on proon.

Rgds Hay Ewe

Ozzy
20th Oct 2004, 00:50
Anyway, apprantly people, whilst free falling, can breath through their skin!!! Okay, who wants to volunteer to have their nose and mouth wrapped in duct tape and thrown out of a perfectly good aircraft? :E

Ozzy

shortly
20th Oct 2004, 02:15
Guys and Gals, this is roooollllly important. Perhaps we could convince that magnificent, intelligent, handsome and altruistic guy from the good old US of A - think his name is Bush to check this out for us by trying it himself. That is wrapping his head in masking tape and then letting someone throw him from a plane at great altitude. No parachute now that would be cheating. Boogy till you bounce.

A10 Thundybox
20th Oct 2004, 02:47
Ozzy

Won't your lungs implode?

Surely if you hold your breath your locking in relative low pressure which will be affected by increasing pressure nearer the ground?

It'd be a big jump mind, +10,000 I'd guess to achieve this.

'Tis why divers don't breath on an ascent, just one breath out all the way up due to expansion/decreasing pressure.

:8

Happy for bush to test anything dangerous, without equipment :E