PDA

View Full Version : Radeon 7000 AGP Video card

BOAC
18th Oct 2004, 21:20
W2000Pro: This board has been constantly locking up WM Player and my computer. I have replaced it with my old S3 Virge and it runs fine. Are there any tricks to setting up an AGP card eg BIOS settings etc?

nosefirsteverytime
19th Oct 2004, 12:15
What's your processor? If it's not intel, there's a problem installing it I think. I'm an engineering student, and I had to send my puter away to get the shaggin raethon card installed!

BOAC
19th Oct 2004, 12:52
NFET - that is interesting! It is AMD - the video card 'box' claims it is ok!

BOAC
22nd Oct 2004, 16:40
TCS - no - is that necessary if the machine detects and installs the drivers for the Radeon card on boot-up?

I am getting close to getting AN answer from Connect 3d who make this particular card - at least they have acknowledged the email!!

goates
22nd Oct 2004, 20:59
BOAC,

With Windows and video cards it is always preferrable to remove all previous drivers before installing a new card.

First go to the Add/Remove Programs Control and remove everything related to your video card in there. Reboot when asked to, and if you aren't asked to, do it anyways. Don't know about S3.

To make sure you have removed everything you can look for a program called Driver Cleaner which should do a more thorough job in the case of some drivers. I have heard that the nVidia drivers are bad for leaving behind the odd file or registry setting (I don't have any expereince with recent nVidia cards though). ATI has an uninstall program of their own called "Cat-Uninstaller" which removes all ATI software on the computer.

When the old drivers have been removed you can install the new card and drivers. It's a good idea to do this when you update drivers for the video card too to reduce the chance of conflicts between driver versions.

Hopefully this will help.

goates

Ausatco
23rd Oct 2004, 03:16
Don't forget to re-boot after uninstalling your old drivers. Windows will find a generic driver good enough to get you going until you install your new one.

AA

BOAC
23rd Oct 2004, 15:11
Thanks G and A - there was silly me thinking Bill G would look after me:{

goates
23rd Oct 2004, 17:19
That's exactly what Mr. Gates wants you to think. And while WindowsXP is much closer to that goal, it still isn't quite there yet.

How's the video card install going?

goates

BOAC
24th Oct 2004, 15:41
Been away suitcasing for a few days, but S3 card has been back back in for a week and all normal at the mo inc. WM Player. Will advise!

EDITED TO ADD Adaptec 'Direct CD' (enables use of CDROM as read/write drive) DID work but does not now - 'drive will not support etc'. Can still 'create' normal CDRoms with Data or audio content

Does a Video card change affect CDROM operation?
Further edit On 3rd re-install of CD prog now all well:{