PDA

View Full Version : Training expences

scraglad
18th Oct 2004, 15:18
Hello all, I know this topic has arose lot's of times so I do appologise. Im starting the ATPL's soon and have saved for this part all by myself!! Come the day when hour building,CPL.MEIR, MCC comes around,I dont have a single cent to fund the training. Apart from robbing a bank,I can't afford it. How has everyone else funded their training? Cheer's.

Megaton
18th Oct 2004, 15:39
Worked all the way through and took leave for the flying courses. Hard way to do it since you have to juggle study with work and then find enough leave to complete the CPL and IR.

FlyingForFun
18th Oct 2004, 21:14
Worked in a "proper" job since leaving university. (In fact, worked for many years, part-time, before that too.) Saved up money over a period of a few years. Was lucky enough to get a large redundancy payout which was a big help.

Now I've left my proper job, I'm not 100% sure how to fund my IR and MCC, but it will probably involve re-mortgaging my flat (which I originally bought with money from my proper job anyway).

FFF
--------------

boeingbus2002
18th Oct 2004, 22:23
Good luck on starting with your ATPL's.
However bear in mind the time limit from your first pass to your IR. How realistic/sure are you of obtaining the finance? If you are close to getting it (currently working, minimal overheads etc.) then no problem. But if you expect a long gap between finishing the exams and starting training, watch out for the 36month rule. (Must pass IR within 36 months of 1st pass at ATPL writtens.)
There are plenty of posts on here when calculating the expected costs. But always factor in an extra amount for contingency. (delays, extra training etc)

scraglad
20th Oct 2004, 14:41
Thank you all for your reply's.

Tinstaafl
20th Oct 2004, 15:00
Also covered here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45915)