PDA

View Full Version : Internet access problem

richard24
18th Oct 2004, 09:32
I have networked my broadband connection using a dray-tek router. For some reason I couldn't connect to it using my belkin wireless card, however my flat mate using the same card accessed the router fine, the only diffence I can see being is that he uses Windows 98 and I use XP. I had the card working with a previous router so I know the card is ok. After eventually giving up with the wireless card, i connected to the router via a network cable. Worked fine for two days until i turned the computer off, now I click on internet explorer and the page can not be displayed message comes up.( I installed service pack 2 in this time but am assured by the help desk it hasn't caused the problem). Network connections acknowledges that I am connected and I can even ping the routers ip address but no access to the internet. Even the wireless card has started connecting to the router again but still no internet access. Its just so strange how it worked perfectly and then stopped when I turned it off.

The router definately works fine as one of my flat mates uses the wireless conection off it and the other uses a network cable. I have also turned off my firewalls.
I have a new athlon 64 3000 compaq computer so Im ruling out hardware issues.

I have wasted two weekends of this please help.

Thanks in advance

amanoffewwords
18th Oct 2004, 10:49
Can you give us some network info:

Start --> run - type 'cmd' and then "ipconfig /all" in the system window.

Can you give us the info there.

Also, have you tried removing the network card in the device list, reboot your system and let windows re-install it - sometimes clears things up?

richard24
19th Oct 2004, 07:07
I have tried installing and re-installing the wireless card and even tried a different one. It detects the network sometimes but rarely connects, and when it does there is no internet. I am happy to use a network cable (if it works again). Hope this is the network info you were after . Thanks for the advice.

Tunnel Adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo Interface

Conncection Specific DNS suffix :
Description: Tunnel Adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo Interface
Pysical Address : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
DHCP Enabled: No
IP Address : fe80:5445:5245:444f%6
Default Gateway :
Net Bios over TcPIP: Disabled

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunnelling Psudo Interface
Conncection Specific DNS suffix :
Description: Tunnel Adapter AutomaticTunneling Pseudo Interface
Pysical Address: CO-A8-01-0A
DHCP Enabled: no
IP Address : FE80::5EFE:192.168.1.10%2
DNS Servers : FEC0:0:FFFF::1%2
: FEC0:0:FFFF::2%2
: FEC0:0:FFFF::3%2

Net Bios over TcPIP: Disabled

amanoffewwords
19th Oct 2004, 08:47
Looks like you've got IPv6 installed - info on microsoft site (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/teredo.mspx)

Assuming you are not set up for IPv6 the removal instructions are here (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/faqipv6.mspx#ECAAA)

ipconfig should be showing you defs for an Ethernet NIC. along with a MAC, gateway and IP address.

hth
Charles

richard24
20th Oct 2004, 07:16
I have tried your suggestion and I now get all the details come up when I use ipconfig. It is still saying that I can not conect when I used Internet Explorer and the wireless card is still having the same issues. I appreciate your help though as Its still a step in the right direction.

sky9
20th Oct 2004, 12:50
I have found that Internet Explorer has become very flaky since upgrading to SP2, even more so since the latest upgrades from Microsoft. I frequently fail to get sites including google although my email connection is fine.

willby
20th Oct 2004, 16:23
hi Sky9
I also am having problems with IE6 since loading SP2....specifically I cant load .pdf files from the CAA website.
I posted re same but have had no replies to date.
Willby

DeepC
21st Oct 2004, 20:27
My mate, richard24, says that he has somehow managed to get his internet connection working again but has little idea which of the many settings he played with that made the difference.

I recommended that he try the IT wizards that frequent this forum to get his answer. So a very big thanks from me that you leant your support and helped him.

He'll probably post his experience to try and point the others in search of an answer in the right direction.

Cheers

DeepC

richard24
23rd Oct 2004, 09:51
For some reason my Norton Firewall had become damaged. When clicking on it it wouldn't open sayin a file was missing and that I had to re-boot. This would come up even after a re-boot. From this I assumed the firewall was off so disregarded it. On Wednesday I decided at midnight to just delete nortan. I had tried everything else so just went for it. This fixed the problem but I have no idea why Norton went strange in the first place.
Thank you all for you suggestions.

amanoffewwords
23rd Oct 2004, 13:15
Glad you're sorted.

I got rid of Norton Firewall a long time ago thus giving my humble P4 1.8 a new lease of life - the firewall in my router does the job admirably, but without overloading the processor.

Cheers,
Charles