PDA

View Full Version : Relatives in QF

Prey
18th Oct 2004, 02:42
Hi guys

I'm 17 years old and am currently in year 12 about to complete the HSC. My dad has been flying for Qantas for quite a few years now and has suggested that this will give me an advantage in the cadetship application or at least for direct entry down the line if that doesn't work.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has found it to be of help in getting through the application process due to having relatives already working for the company or any other airline for that matter? I'm a little sceptical that it could be an advantage but obviously would be great. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your input and happy flying.

turbantime
18th Oct 2004, 03:10
Hmmm, same person as aces4bars? :hmm:

Trigger Happy
18th Oct 2004, 03:11
Hey Prey
The best person to give you an answer to your question would be your old man. He's in Qantas and has been for a while by the sounds of it, so he'd have a pretty good idea what goes on behind closed doors.
Sounds like in your post you know the answer anyway. Ge-up!

Prey, my advice mate..
Stop preying! it will only be a matter of time before you'll be asked to sign on the dotted line. Go through the testing, give it your best, merely formalities and enjoy what Asia has to offer. You'll be tought by one of the best- Bankok Betty! :p

*Lancer*
18th Oct 2004, 07:39
The only advantage is that it might allow you to have a better understanding of what's involved in the selection process. It won't allow you to circumvent it.

I'm sure there are plenty of predators ready to bite! :ooh: Good luck,

Lancer

Capt Fathom
18th Oct 2004, 07:52
No relatives in the Caribbean then Prey .. ?

OBNO
18th Oct 2004, 09:56
Thoughts? ..... I think you'll just have to send in your hat size!

Keg
18th Oct 2004, 10:36
There are lots of 'sons and daughters' who have never made it in. There are lots of people without relatives in QF who have made it in.

Lancer is spot on. The ONLY advantage is that you may know the selection process and the 'job' a bit better than the average applicant.

LEFT0
18th Oct 2004, 11:06
Wind up or what.............................:yuk:

Trigger Happy
18th Oct 2004, 23:46
Prey,
Surprised your not in there already!
My old mans a Cappy-tun and I've been offered a job!
And I'm NOT even a Pilot...
If I was forced to guess, I'd say having an old man in QF might even help!! :ooh:

happydriver
19th Oct 2004, 01:45
I swear some of us may never make it to the right or even the left hand seat of that big tin in the sky but i'm quite confident that we are all witty enough to win the next smart arse competition and be content bast*rds just the same....just an alternate incase your destination gets closed in....:E :E

Gateway Customer
19th Oct 2004, 02:52
Good post Prey

My Dad owns a fleet of 152's and he was telling me that he can help me get a job as a direct entry Captain in his fleet.

However I was just reading a post about what Fork Lift Drivers are being paid and Im considering a different path?

Can anybody help me make this tough decision.

Thanking you all in advance

QNIM
19th Oct 2004, 03:42
Gday Prey
For my two bobs worth
To get on in this world it’s not what you know but who you know, so unless you make some monumental stuff up you should get in.
Cheers Q :p