PDA

View Full Version : Adverts [for Wimmin]

chiglet
17th Oct 2004, 17:56
Just watched an ad for a "Skinn Cleanser" calld XXXX Visage.
my [poor] French translates this as XXXX Face...what do the French [or Gemans etc] call it? And what the chuff is "Hypoallergenic?"
watp,iktch

redsnail
17th Oct 2004, 18:18
Visage does mean face. :)

From Google Definitions: Hypoallergenic means Having a decreased tendency to provoke an allergic reaction: hypoallergenic cosmetics.

Reduces the risk of rashes, eczema and other skin problems

TamedBill
17th Oct 2004, 18:24
They can charge a bit more if they stick a French word on the bottle as it gives the illusion of being classy to thick people.

Hypo-allergenic means all the nasty brutish evil chemicals that may irritate our delicate, soft, vulnerable, pure and peachy female skin have been removed and probably shovelled into he-man products designed for more rufty tufty skin.

Deaf
19th Oct 2004, 04:54
Generally it means nothing.

I was at a contract packaging place and we were having a beer following some long and technical discussions when the subject got onto sunscreen. The bloke said "look at this" and produced some bottles of XX sunscreen a heavily promoted top brand. It came in four types for sensitive skin, extra water resistant, more b*lls**t etc.

While the promotions went into some detail as to which should be used for what; according to the labels the active ingredients were the same and they all used the same formulation in reality.

skydriller
19th Oct 2004, 05:06
The ones I like (not!) are the shampoo adds that insist their product has
'' Pro - Vitamins ''.....

I thought that vitamins came in the form of A, B1, B2... C,.. etc..

So whats a Pro-Vitamin? One that has a manager and gets paid for the advertising?

Regards, SD..

XXTSGR
19th Oct 2004, 14:05
Shampoo adverts are total lies in the most part. Containing fruit, vegetables, vitamins, honey, beer, etc. etc. It's all b:mad:cks.

Hair is dead cells. In good condition, yes, it looks good. But you can't "repair" it at all. All you can do is avoid damaging it by putting too much rubbish on it, excessive blow-drying, etc. Vitamins do nothing.

Vitamins in skin creams also do nothing - a vitamin is a fairly large molecule, far too large to get through the pores of the skin.

As for all the pseudo-scientific-sounding words they think up to put in adverts - "NEW! With Alpha-Hydroxy Compound!" They won't say what it is, or what it is supposed to do for you because they can't.

How they're allowed to get away with deliberately pulling the wool over people's eyes I don't know.

eal401
19th Oct 2004, 14:24
A recent discussion on the radio highlighted that it doesn't really matter what shampoo you use as it's all pretty much the same stuff.

So, whether you buy Tesco Value or Toni & Guy, it'll all have pretty much the same effect.

Someone needs to convince Mrs 401 of this, I can't!

BlueDiamond
19th Oct 2004, 14:37
it's all pretty much the same stuff.
I'm not sure that's entirely correct ... I've been doing some reading on this subject (just out of interest) and it seems that the hair products that are better for you to use are the ones which do not contain detergents. This would not usually include the cheaper ones which are generally loaded with the stuff. Also, some products now have silicone added which builds up over time to produce a shine on the hair ("It won't happen overnight, but it will happen.") and these are not the best things to use either.

I'm not sure that more expensive = better product but it might well be the case that the cheap stuff is best avoided. Probably the best way is to try different ones. Some will leave your hair feeling horrible ... dry and coarse (most notably the anti-dandruff shampoos) but others will give a much better result.

Flytest
19th Oct 2004, 14:49
Why is it for the thrush cream adverts, you never see the lass phoning up her fella saying "You son of a b*tch, you must have drilled some tramp when you were away last week and gave me thrush!!!"

I'd like to point out that I am not speaking from experience!!!!:E

tony draper
19th Oct 2004, 15:07
Drapes has been looking for a shampoo that will give him dandruff.

:(

Deaf
19th Oct 2004, 18:05

I'm not sure that more expensive = better product

Essentialy it doesn't. In the particular case I mentioned above the lead in was about active stuff AUD 0.0004 , filler a bit of plaster (calcium sulphate) packaging 0.04 Retai4.30

With the sunblock mentioned in the bottle AUD 0.34 Retail 11,50. 4 varietes identical apart from the colour on the BB bottle

flyblue
19th Oct 2004, 21:49
it's all pretty much the same stuff.
Someone needs to convince Mrs 401 of this, I can't!
Someone needs to convince my hair of this, I can't!!!! :ugh:

Mirkin About
20th Oct 2004, 03:32
Drapes,
a few days shampooing with Iso-Propyl Alcohol should do the trick.

allan907
20th Oct 2004, 04:32
Advertisers of this crap rely on the fact that girlies are gullible - en mass.

Until the girlies manage to see through this guise then the glass ceiling will remain firmly cemented in place:ok:

kabz
20th Oct 2004, 04:37
Drapes, if ya want to get dandruff/dermatitus, go to the $3 haircut place ... 'Where the tramps go ...'

Big crusty flakes that take 3 months of T-Gel use to get rid of :(

Maxflyer
20th Oct 2004, 10:04
I used to like the shampoo that smelt of apples. When I first lived in Germany I found it for sale. I used it and nearly filled the room with foam! It was bubble bath not shampoo. I tried to learn the lingo after that.

BlueWolf
20th Oct 2004, 10:45
Many moons back, I worked for a large manufacturing concern which produced hair care and sun protection products.

The company made its own licenced brands, and also manufactured products for a half dozen rival companies.

Standing in the factory one day, I watched a shampoo being put together.

From the final mixing vat, it went off down two separate bottling lines.

One bottling line was for a well-known and well-promoted pharmacy-only brand, which was packaged in 250ml bottles which sold for $10.

The other was for a little-known and non-promoted supermarket brand, which was packaged in 1 litre bottles, which retailed for $5.

Same stuff...but try getting the bubble-heads who use the "good" product to believe that, so sold are they on the myth created by the advertisers.

BlueDiamond
20th Oct 2004, 11:00
These days pharmacies are required to advise you if there is a cheaper non-branded medicine available (but only if the product is identical) however this does not apply to non-medicinal items. Few people would be able to find out which of the cheaper or generic items were identical to branded ones. I don't know where one would even start looking. Comparing labels might be a start but some of these things have so many ingredients listed that it could take quite a while to sort everything out.

Like different varieties of bread ... you keep trying until you find what you like. They may be only flour, water and yeast etc. but they do taste different.

chiglet
20th Oct 2004, 23:28
I still want to know what the French call XXX Visage, or even the German version.
watp,iktch

fernytickles
21st Oct 2004, 05:23
Sort of on the subject, why is it necessary to put alumin(i)um in deodorant? That is a case when cheaper is worser. Sadly ('cos of the cost) the more expensive brands seem to manage to make the deodorant without alumin(i)um. Its supposed to be a contributory factor in causing breast cancer, so is definitely a nasty ingredient.

BlueWolf
21st Oct 2004, 05:30
The aluminium is what makes it an anti-perspirant as well. Causes Altzheimer's (sp?) amongst other things. Sweat and be healthy.

gatfield
21st Oct 2004, 06:01
I have always wondered about those hair products which have as one of their ingredients 'human hair'. I mean who's hair are they using?

I have a beauty tip passed on from a dear gay friend - best thing for bags under your eyes is heamorroid cream.
:ok:

flyblue
21st Oct 2004, 07:48
Blue Diamond,
they tried that with cheaper medecines where I live. What happened is that as a consequence the more expensive branded ones where reduced too. Nice, you'd say. Nope, because as soon as the non-branded will be pushed out (everybody will buy the branded ones for the same price) they'll raise the prices again. It's called "dumping" and we airline people know something about it.:ouch:

BlueDiamond
21st Oct 2004, 12:58
Yes, it's a well known tactic where airlines are concerned, flyblue. :(

It doesn't seem to be happening with the pharmacy products here though ... a packet of no brand name paracetamol tablets will sit next to a brand name packet with all things being equal except the price. $2.65 for the brand name one and $1.20 for the other. :rolleyes:

Feeton Terrafirma
21st Oct 2004, 14:26
I didn't know you could buy anything for $1.20 in a chemist shop. Do they have those "one application only" packets now?

--x--x-O-x--x--
21st Oct 2004, 14:35
Advertisers of this crap rely on the fact that girlies are gullible - en mass. (sic)

Not only the girlies either. I know quite a few men who are firmly convinced (en masse) that Scotch Whiskies can have identical ingredients in identical proportions but still taste different. :rolleyes:

IFTB
21st Oct 2004, 14:41
--x--x-O-x--x-- (**** it :suspect: that's difficult) is right.
Here in France they have a few hundred brands of Whiskey which do not exist in Britain. Bet you they are the same as some of the better known brands but claimed by the experts (M/F) to be inferior! They are nearly half the price of the known brands!

Stockpicker
21st Oct 2004, 14:48
erm - sorry - are you saying that a Speyside and an Islay malt are the same??!!

:rolleyes:

avoman
21st Oct 2004, 19:48
Reference shampoo: I recall Which magazine stating thirty years ago that all additives in shampoo were a waste, the shampoo simultaneously washes out its own 'conditioner' or whatever magic ingredient is in any particular product. About the same time I recall a hair fashion model in another magazine confessing to her choice of shampoo, 'actually I use Fairy liquid!' and her hair looked pretty good on it. So at least one smart girlie.
This all confirmed my own prejudices about the cosmetic industry which is why I have not forgotten it. Avoman has used the cheapest possible washing up liquid as shampoo for thirty five years and still a full head of hair! How about Tesco own brand, 14 pence for one litre? I confess I am still waiting for my own alternative career as a top hair model to begin however.
Now Scotch whiskies, that is a completely different matter.

Kingsnake
21st Oct 2004, 21:48
"So, whether you buy Tesco Value or Toni & Guy, it'll all have pretty much the same effect."

"Someone needs to convince Mrs 401 of this, I can't!"

Simple 401: Frequently refill the Toni & Guy bottle from a gallon of Tesco value conveniantly hidden in the garage. Rember to keep a straight face when Toni & Guy mileage gets lauded. Allow bottle to run dry dry at least once a year to allay suspicion of foul play. Been doing doing it for ages. Enjoy.

:ok:

--x--x-O-x--x--
22nd Oct 2004, 04:05
erm - sorry - are you saying that a Speyside and an Islay malt are the same??!!
Quite the opposite, Stockpicker. I was attempting to say that there are some people who believe that if two products consist of identical ingredients then they must be identical in every respect. I was trying to say that if two whiskies exist which contain the same ingredients i.e. malted barley, water etc. then they must also be identical. This was meant to be tongue in cheek as we know perfectly well that they may be very different when it comes to taste.

The same applies to wines; they may consist of the same grapes from the same vines grown in the same vineyard and processed in an identical manner every year yet there are folk who swear that they can tell the difference between years (vintages.) There would probably be many people who could discern no difference at all. Instead of recognising this as a lack of sensitivity in themselves, they assert instead that no difference exists.

I have been guilty of this myself when listening to sound systems. I cannot discern any difference between one set of speakers and another, or one violin, guitar or flute and another, but I know that differences exists because I have been told so by people who are aware of them. I would be pretty stupid to say that because I cannot hear the difference, there IS none. All I can say with truth is that I cannot hear it

Same with shampoos. I can say with absolute certainty that I am mostly unable to distinguish between the results of 'A' as compared to "B", except for one. There is a shampoo that my wife buys that does, even to my insensitive, work-hardened hands, make a very distinctive difference to the feel of her hair and I know without doubt when she has used that particular one. I have no idea if it is a cheap one or an expensive one or if it has all those little additives that are alleged to do this or that, but I do know that the results are distinctly different from other products she uses. It's unmistakeable.

Onan the Clumsy
22nd Oct 2004, 13:25
--x etc

Shampoos and wines are totally different.

Shampoos are made of chemicals through an artificial process that can be reproduced with an extremely high degree of consistency, with quality assurance tests to create a continual stream of virtually identical product. Also, as someone pointed out earlier, multiple bottling lines can simultaneously be fed by the same product source.

Wines are made of chemicals too, but made through a natural proces that involves all sorts of controlable and uncontrolable parameters. Even if as the same grape is grown in the same vinyard two years running, the climate is different as is the insect population and even the plant itself.

BlueWolf
23rd Oct 2004, 08:18
Two wines are never the same, regardless of what we do to try to make them so.

The season is never the same from one year to the next, and neither is the vine, with the result that grapes from one year will have a different phenolic structure from those of another.

The best we can do is to try to make them as close as possible, by tweaking such parameters as are controllable, in order to achieve a general consistency for brand continuation purposes.

Cheaper wines which are the product of much blending are usually closer; single vineyard wines vary much more.

If they were always the same, there would be no Great Vintages. And that is what the magic of wine is all about.;)