PDA

View Full Version : Camera & Laptop bags / limits

jabird
16th Oct 2004, 13:04
I'm looking at getting a bag which can carry an SLR camera + lenses and a laptop, but am unsure about dimensions.

One looks like the proverbial "dbs", but seems to be slightly too large:

(all in cms)

BAG SIZE 56 39.5 15

A few carriers:

RYANAIR 50 35 23
EASYJET 55 40 20
BA 45 35 20 (UK dom & economy)

The bag is labelled as being "suitable for cabin baggage", but I'm assuming this is based on US Carriers.

There is a smaller cousin, but no external dimensions are listed (not sure if its ok to mention brands & models here?).

FR make no mention of laptops. EZ & BA say you can have one - and cameras are often mentioned too, but what about a bag which combines both?

I've seen threads on weight, but nothing on this (recently) - any suggestions?

BEagle
16th Oct 2004, 17:18
Normal standard limit is 115cm combined dimensions.

ba's limit isn't quite what you state, in whatever their silly name is for economy, you're allowed one bag only up to the 115 cm limit. See http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagcabin/public/en_gb

jabird
16th Oct 2004, 17:48
Sorry, I'd misread the notes at the bottom.

55 x 40x 20 cm is standard for BA - that makes the bag I'm looking at too big by 1cm for BA & EZ. Is anyone likely to fuss over that, especially if it is a canvas, rather than a rigid bag?

DDF
16th Oct 2004, 21:26
Ja Bird

From the EZY website

"Each passenger is usually permitted one standard piece of hand baggage to a maximum size limit of 55x40x20cm. There is no weight restriction, within reasonable limits - i.e. a passenger must be able to place the piece of luggage safely in the overhead storage bins without assistance. , In addition passengers may carry onboard a handbag, clutchbag, coats, umbrellas, duty-free goods, laptop computers, and small items of camera equipment"

If it’s a soft bag and over by 1cm then I’m sure you will be able to check it in as hand baggage

BA only allow this size when flying 1st/bussiness class

jabird
18th Oct 2004, 10:47
I'm sure EZ wouldn't be a problem, but presumably there'd be no way on Ryanair, and Flybe seem pretty restrictive too (can't find exact dimensions on their website though).

jetplease!
19th Oct 2004, 11:47
Buy the bag. Have every confidence that you will get it on board. I don't think the trained eye of a check-in agent will be able to see that your bag is 1cm too big.

Having just folwn back from the states, on a completely full 777, it completely pi**ed me off to see all the people in economy with the wheelie-suitcases. They are not cabin baggage. They are suitcases and as such should go in the hold! If it's not the kind of bag you'd carry with you walking round the shops, it's not hand-luggage.
If everyone had the same type of wheelie-suitcase, you would not be able to fit them all in the lockers, and inevitable some would have to go in the hold.

And another thing, whilst I'm having this little rant, it bugs me when parents buy their children the same type of wheelie-suitcases. Half the time the children can't even pull them along properly and just get in everyone's way!

jabird
20th Oct 2004, 00:53
Jet,

I opted for the smaller one, as the larger option actually looked quite cumbersome in terms of quick access to gear, and might have caused problems with the likes of FR. I can still see some potential weight issues with 2 SLRS + laptop + lenses, but should be able to mix & match accordingly - have never had cabin bags weighed before, and presume there is some leeway here as there is with checked bags?

PAXboy
20th Oct 2004, 16:21
I seem to recall that carriers were just starting to deal with the problem of large and multiple cabin bags but then 9/11 ensured that they wanted everyone to carry on as before. It will be a while. Probably once it can be confirmed that, "Although the flight crew made a safe landing and stoped on the runway, with all emergency vehicles waiting - many people died because their exit was blocked by cumbersome cabin bags. Here is a home video that was taken by the passenger in seat 54F. Although his camera survived, he didn't, overcome not by fire but by smoke."

Nothing much else changes human minds than money or bodies.

bealine
21st Oct 2004, 21:34
Although British Airways staff are not overtly supposed to admire the "Bearded One" or Virgin Atlantic, I respect them for sticking to their guns regarding trolley bags!

Even now, with all the commercial pressures the airlines face, VS will not allow wheelies into the Economy cabin!

Any Ground staff member, or passenger, who has witnessed the injuries these things cause would also agree! Blood spattered around the pristine white plastic of window surrounds, overhead lockers and peoples' clothes is not a pretty sight! (these type of injuries result from the pressure of the falling object being transmitted through one or both wheels!)

BEagle
22nd Oct 2004, 08:00
Equally infuriating are these infernal large backpacks that some people try to bring on. Seemingly oblivious of the way they barge into other passengers as they wrestle the blasted things on and off - and many of them are far too large to be considered as cabin baggage!

These overweight wheeled suitcases and heavy backpacks will one day result in someone dying. Until then, the airlines seem happy to tolerate them.

RatNair are now allowing even heavier bags into the cabin to try to reduce turn round times yet further. Another of the many good reasons never to fly with them - I don't want half a hundredweight of baggage blocking my escape when they have the accident that they're surely going to have one day soon.