PDA

View Full Version : DJ Tail strike in Perth last week?

BPA
16th Oct 2004, 11:20
Looks like VH-VOF had a tail strike in Perth last week.

http://www.atsb.gov.au/aviation/occurs/occurs_detail.cfm?ID=690

This link contains photo's.

http://www.vpmag.com/yssy/viewtopic.php?t=9683

It appears it was only a"minor" strike looking at the photos.

PammyAnderson
16th Oct 2004, 12:04
Well..... I guess its not as Bad as destroying a 747 in a golf coarse, or almost hitting a mountain near Canberra or ripping off a door on pushback or landing on the side runway lights in Darwin or writing off a brand new Airbus A330 engine ..................lol

bb744
16th Oct 2004, 12:52
To pam little chest glad to see that you are a pro. pilot too.

As an aside, I flew the fairway ornimant recently and it wasn't quite destroyed as you may think.

blueloo
16th Oct 2004, 13:02
Actually Pammy you'll probably find that an airline that has been round as long as QF has had more incidents than that. The good news is that in that period of time there have only been a few serious incidents some of which you mention. Thats a bloody good record in reality. Touch wood it stays that way. And touch wood no other carrier has a bingle either.

By the way Pammy, I think you will find that 95% of people who post on Pprune are already aware of those incidents you mention. I am sure if they want to know more about them, they could use the search function. Maybe you could use the search function too..............

The other strange thing about your post Pammy, is that the original posting made no mention of QF, nor did it bag out DJ, it merely mentioned an incident. It is good to see that you have only 5 posts. Presumably you only use that name when you wish to sledge QF.

itchybum
16th Oct 2004, 16:07
BB744 I thought it was destroyed... technically.

Was determined to be a write-off but Kwantarse spent mega-bux to prevent having a hull-loss on their records.

At least that was the stink of it at the time.

ZK-NSJ
16th Oct 2004, 20:09
i think i remember flying on it , on its first day back in service, looked buffed and polished to me, then again paint can hide a thousand sins

Keg
17th Oct 2004, 01:15
Incorrect itchy. Cost of new (or used) B744. Lots more than $100Mill. Cost to fix OJH, about 20% less than $100Mill. Sound economics and nothing to do with a hull loss record! Would have been nice to have avoided it in the first place but there were some interesting lessons for all of us (from the top down). Strange that there are about five years of employment Interesting that aboug 550 of the 1530 people listed as being 'longhaul' (B744, B747, B767) joined after the prang.

Good to see that Pammy upholds her namesakes reputation for lack of class! :E

Sunfish
17th Oct 2004, 08:18
The Boeing recovery division prides itself on doining a first class job. I would expect that OJH would be as good or better than it was before the accident.

If you ever get a chance to talk to those guys take it!

itchybum
17th Oct 2004, 10:42
Sunfish, it's a bit like a car with it's bent chassis straightened out. Would you buy the car????? :confused:

Whilst I'm sure the machine is back in good shape, it'll never ever be "as good as or better".

Re-sale value on bent (aero) machines is just like in the auto-market.

always inverted
17th Oct 2004, 23:42
Not quite correct there about the resale cost of cars, this probably relates to a/c accidents too. In my previous trade as a spraypainter in the auto industry we used to do repairs on alot of european cars Merc and BMW and a few Porsche's, repairers have to be approved by the manufacturers and the repairs caried out as per a repair schedule put out by the manufacturers and they stand by them.
The resale on a repaired car would be more affected by general depreciation than due to a biff.

I would imagine that the insurance companies would not pay out on the repairs if Boeing were not happy with the repair that was carried out.

Going Boeing
18th Oct 2004, 10:56
Itchy, you seem determined to believe what you want to believe, so I'll post a few facts for the benifit of "pruners" who have a more open mind. OJH was insured for $187M and the repair cost $96M so obviously the insurance company was not going to write off the aircraft. I flew the aircraft recenly and could not detect any handling differences which is to be expected considering that Boeing fitted an entire front fuselage section brand new from the Seattle assembly line. I expect that the airframe will retire from QF service after 22-24 years service with approx 100,000 hours total time. I'll happily fly the aircraft till it is retired. GB

itchybum
18th Oct 2004, 11:49
I'll happily fly the aircraft......out of balance......till it is retired.

The Enema Bandit
18th Oct 2004, 14:04
Itchybum, you're a farken idiot.

itchybum
18th Oct 2004, 15:38
"I know you are but what am I...."

Is that what you were expecting to hear??? :confused:

:rolleyes:

twenty eight
19th Oct 2004, 03:34
Shirley if Lufthansa can fix this (http://www.airdisaster.com/photos/d-abyu/20.shtml) kind of damage to one of their 747 200F and the aircraft fly for another Twenty years then I expect OJH to have a long and very productive life.

more pictures at
http://www.airdisaster.com/photos/d-abyu/photo.shtml

twenty eight

gaunty
19th Oct 2004, 05:17
Kai Tak strikes again, that's one tough mother of an aircraft, they obviously weren't trying hard enough with QF1. :}

Boeing Smash Repairs arrive;
Get chainsaw, cut out bent bits, ring factory, order new section "from frame x to y stringer w to z" send it out in the next freighter, offer it up, rig it out, rivet it on, and she's good to go.:ok:

Sorta supports the "If it's not Boeing I'm not going" routine although I do like the new Cityflyer A330 thingies they've got too.;)

Bendy
25th Oct 2004, 01:24
Why???......

Why has a thread, that started out as a report of a tailstrike in a Virgin aircraft, so quickly become a bash/defend Qantas thread????

Has anyone got anything useful to contribute on the original subject of this thread?????

This is not an attempt to attack DJ or anyone, but how about we stick to what the thread is about. If you want to start a Bash a Red Rat thread, then start one elsewhere.

Bendy

rescue 1
25th Oct 2004, 02:39
Agree Bendy. Seems that some of that old magic spin doctoring has rubbed off onto the pilot group :O

balance
25th Oct 2004, 05:49
So? What happened VB guys and gals? Or is this incident going to be buried like the VB stick shaker debacle?

PureRisk
25th Oct 2004, 08:45
I am just curious, as I didnt know about the Qantas aircraft almost hitting the mountain near Canberra until mentioned here and then going back and reading previous posts, ......
But ..........did the Tech crew get disciplined for this disastrous piece of airmanship and crm (cross checking of each others actions). ?
Some one on here earlier mentioned that "they were certain that qantas has had many more incidents than those mentioned in this post"......not my words by the way,...... but everyone would have to agree that there seems to be more and more qantas incidents/accidents happening in the modern era of the company.?
Is there something lacking in their procedures?
Is the cadet lack of experience finally showing now they are moving to FO's on the pocketrocket.?

mr hanky
25th Oct 2004, 09:32
PureRisk

What Bendy said!!!:rolleyes:

Keg
25th Oct 2004, 12:56
Is the cadet lack of experience finally showing now they are moving to FO's on the pocketrocket.?

ROFLMAO. QF has had cadets as F/Os for more than seven years now. A lot of them have moved OFF the 737 to the 744 and A330. Shock, horror but a few of them even have their commands now with AO! :rolleyes:

Fair dinkum some people on this forum have no idea.

SkySista
25th Oct 2004, 13:50
Going back to the actual, intended purpose of this thread....

can someone give a more direct link/directions to those photos mentioned??? at risk of sounding dumb I can't seem to find them in the given links... (note to self: late nights & flu do not mix....)

ta

Sky

Cornholio
25th Oct 2004, 18:10
shore that qantas has had many more incidents than there seems to be more and more qantas incidents/accidents in the more modern era of their company history. Modern history??? Is there something lacking in there procedures? When will pilots ever be able to demonstrate an acceptable level of comprehension of the English language?

Perhaps we should listen to advice and employ some tired old, has-been, ex CEO (he reckons... HAHAHAHAAA!!!) of some Slumfish company who can tell us all how good he is.... except he isn't any better.

But seriously, how many pilots paid attention during grammar and spelling lessons?

:eek:

:*

:zzz:

WaterSpider
26th Oct 2004, 00:02
I agree, none of us can spell........lol
My old man flew for 30 years, but go to the pub and his grammer was more "Ocka"! than the guy working in the mines......
One question which was asked that I must say I was curious about? What was the result of the QF canberra incident? Did any repremand come out of it?

Woomera
26th Oct 2004, 00:17
This thread now goeth nowhere save to oblivion!