PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to bin it?

timmcat
16th Oct 2004, 09:47
Spare PC at home, used for light browsing and homework. 400MHZ Celeron, 64MB RAM. W98SE.

Started to have trouble booting - even in safe mode. The PC would just lock up before boot complete. Suspected a hard drive issue, so loaded the tools on the start up floppy and tried to run scandisk. Stopped halfway through every time and locked up.
Now, getting very annoyed and really suspecting the HD, I tried to run a couple of HD diagnostic tools (particularly Seagate's utility, as it is a Seagate HD). Both programs crashed everytime I ran them.

Time to get serious now, and with little to lose, I decided to reformat and reinstall windows. Fdisk ran OK, deleted primary partition and recreated same. HD formatted OK, then, at the point where it starts copying files needed for installation from the CD, the damn thing locks up again. I've tried this operation a few times, once it did get as far as the initial introduction screen as set up starts, but usually it just hangs while still showing DOS type text.

I am now suspecting a dodgy Mobo, or, just maybe, faulty RAM. Any suggestions peeps?

Tim

Unwell_Raptor
16th Oct 2004, 10:20
I wouldn't invest any more time in the thing. Dump it and use something from this century.

timmcat
16th Oct 2004, 10:28
I know UR - I adopted it last year when it was being 'disposed of' at work. I have a modern fast home PC and Laptop. This is just a spare in my sons bedroom.

It's just bl**dy annoying when I can't fix something.

ORAC
16th Oct 2004, 13:02
Even if you could locate the fault, could you get the bits to fix it?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Oct 2004, 16:20
timmcat,

You did what I would have done: FDisk, Format, Fresh Install.

If you want to try something, strip it to bare bones:

CPU/Heatsink/Fan
RAM (Try a different Stick if you have more)
Vid Card
1 HD Primary Master
1 Optical Drive Secondary Master
Floppy Drive
Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse

See if you can get though an install then. (You could also check for the latest BIOS Revision for the mobo.)

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. If all that fails and you are looking at tossing parts and money at it, I would look at getting another comp being 'disposed of' at work. ;)

SoftTop
17th Oct 2004, 11:27
It also depends on whether this is going to be a hobby, a learning experience, or just a means to establish that you're just throwing good money after bad :rolleyes:

If either of the first two, make sure you have a time and money budget, then fill yer boots!

If the last one, pick it all up, walk to the nearest dustbin/trashcan and enjoy the experience of saving money as well as savouring the sound of plummeting intrinsic value.:ok:

Do it now!

Always trying to help :E

ST

Tinstaafl
17th Oct 2004, 15:55
If it's really a doorstop some of its parts might be worth adding to one of your other PCs eg HD.

Metro man
18th Oct 2004, 00:34
You could try fixing it as a learning experience ,parts are easy enough to get at weekend markets or on ebay .Useful if you want to try building a new PC.

You will almost certainly spend more trying to fix it than buying a similar machine in working condition. I fixed up an old P1 133mhz Win 95 machine as a project and learnt alot from it. I would now feel much more confident in assembling my new dream system when I can afford it.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
18th Oct 2004, 01:05
Metro man,

When you are ready let us know. We would be happy to look over the hardware you are thinking of buying before you make the purchase. Just in case we might have some ideas or directions you might not have considered. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Building your own PC is a very rewarding experience. :ok:

Binoculars
18th Oct 2004, 04:31
Now, Timmcat, here comes the forum dumbo's suggestion. Borrow a 128Mb stick of RAM from somebody, throw it in and see if it boots. If it does, buy one and use it. RAM is cheap as chips. If it doesn't, then maybe you can think about binning it.

But this goes back to my oft-repeated argument that a Pentium 400 with W98SE and 128Mb RAM is more than enough for easy and reliable use on internet surfing and basic applications. Why throw it away just because it's "out of date"? Despite what people are trying to tell you, you won't find a working and reliable computer of that vintage for the twenty quid or whatever a stick of RAM is worth, so what's to lose?.

A thought from a bear of very little brain.

:uhoh:

timmcat
18th Oct 2004, 09:29
Thanks for all the replies.

Bino's, I think I might just do that. ;)

spork
20th Oct 2004, 00:02
I have to agree with Binos as well - there ain't nothing wrong with older PCs like this.

Your symptoms sound exactly like faulty memory. If you can swap it out I reckon that'll sort it instantly.