PDA

View Full Version : Australian pilot needs JAA info!

TomOz
15th Oct 2004, 12:05
I know most of this has been covered in the past, but I would appreciate PPruners advice on the following:-

I have an Aussie CPL(H) with ATPL(H) theory credits, and I would like to convert to a JAA ATPL(H) with the intention of working in Ireland.

Can anybody recommend distance learning theory providers in Ireland, or should I pursue this at Bristol or Oxford in England? If sit the exams in England, will I have trouble down the track completing the flying element of the conversion in Ireland?

Does anybody know of medical examiners authorised to issue JAA medicals in Australia, and again, will this be recognised in Ireland?

If anybody can think of any other considerations I may have overlooked, please let me know.

Thanks very much. Tom :)

birdlady
15th Oct 2004, 17:37
Hi TomOz

To answer two of your questions:

1) The medical can not be done in Oz - well it can but the IAA may not except it as its Uk JAA not IAA JAA. You may be asking yourself at this point that well JAA is JAA its not. I will not comment on this furthur as

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: It will just get ugly. If you want to ask what I think please PM.

2) For the ATP's same reason. Has to be done in Ireland. Pan aviation in Dublin. [email protected] I found Paul a very helpfull bloke. He might be able to help you better than I can as Im fixed wing.

Also the bonus with doing it all in Ireland is that you can sit the exams and the medical in Dublin and not have to drag yourself all the way to London.

Hope this helps
Ciao for now BL:E :ok: :E :ok: :E

TomOz
16th Oct 2004, 21:35
Thanks for your help BirdLady.

One other question - I am not far away from "unfreezing" my Aussie ATPL, will I get any dispensations on the conversion requirements if I wait till that time to start my exams?

I appreciate the help that I've been receiving from Ppruners, it is nice to have some experienced advice before blowing massive wads of hard-earned muulah!

Tom. :)

birdlady
17th Oct 2004, 14:18
Hi Tom

To be perfectly honest Im not too sure if they will give you any special dispositions. I did my JAA PPL here in SA and unfortunately the school went bankrupt shortly after I finished it. I was really considering doing my CPL here and I might in the future - I dont know yet. One of my instructors was saying to me that if you have an 'unfrozen' ICAO ATP you only have to do 15hrs to convert to JAA. Unfortunately you have to do all the exams though. Im not too sure if this is true and this is UK JAA not IAA JAA. I suggest that you get in contact with Paul Deevy - he will be able to advise you better than I can or get in contact with the IAA and make sure what ever they tell you you get it in writting.

Hope this helps.....

Ciao BL :ok: :ok: :ok: