PDA

View Full Version : G5 iMacs

Evo
15th Oct 2004, 07:07
It's time for a new Mac for Mrs. Evo, and I'm ... um ... she's tempted by one of these

http://images.apple.com/imac/images/indexallinone20040831.jpg

Reviews online seem good, but anyone used one yet? Comments?

Downsides seem to be graphics and memory. "unparalleled 2D and 3D graphics performance", yeah right - it's an ancient card and can't be upgraded, but in the end that doesn't matter, she doesn't play games. As for memory, it doesn't get enough by default and Apple prices are daft (£329 for a 1 gig upgrade !?!) but I think I can get that elsewhere. Apart from that it looks great.

Planning on ordering the 1.6GHz G5, 17" screen with a half-gig of memory, wireless networking and bluetooth keyboard.

PC v. Mac debate for the other thread, please :)

PPRuNe Towers
15th Oct 2004, 12:43
I had to stop my co-captain from licking one in a Middle Eastern dealer's yesterday:O :O Deeply embarrassing when I'm trying to strike a good deal on a mini iPod and the Airport Express discussed elsewhere:* :*

Absolutely stunning and deeply desirable but a major flaw in the aesthetics. I'd only consider it in a totally wireless setup using one of the new boxes combining ethernet and USB and perhaps even a wireless printer/multifunction device. I think I see the exact reason for having an Airport Express in the home now!

Look again at the photo and there are no peripherals connected by cable. It will get ugly very fast once you connect up our traditional mass of spaghetti:{ :{

Work wise it beat a G4 Powerbook comprehensively on an entire series of photoshop filter runs so it will fly through all everyday work. Slam in the ram, buy an Airport Express with it and enjoy.

Regards
Rob

Evo
15th Oct 2004, 12:52
I'm assuming that AirPort express is really 802.11b or g and Apple haven't reinvented the wheel?

If so, then the only cable going in there is the one supplying the power - keyboard and mouse use bluetooth, and everything else is elsewhere on the LAN :ok:

goates
15th Oct 2004, 14:05
Yep, Apple uses the 802.11g wireless standard. My brother has an iBook and bought a Linksys Router (WRT45G, I think) to give him wireless access to the internet in his house. Works like a charm.

For the RAM, you can almost definitely get some cheaper elsewhere, although it probably can't be the cheap generic stuff. Macs tend to be picky with the RAM they accept. You may end up buying from Crucial, who I think are the ones Apple buys from, but it would still be cheaper than buying straight from Apple.

goates

Dop
15th Oct 2004, 14:36
Oh yes. I'm very tempted by one of those too. But it's only a year since I got my 'dome' iMac and there's no way I can justify it!

It's a pity they didn't make it wireless as standard, as then the only cable you'd need connected to it is the power cable, which would be as neat as you could get!

I've already got Airport Express, so I could always save some by taking the card out of the old iMac and installing it in the new one, but even then, I can't justify it.

But I wants one! My preciousss!!