PDA

View Full Version : Travel Weekly's best uk airport 2004. Who would you give it to?

terrier21
14th Oct 2004, 21:47
Bristol International Airport’s growth, development and high levels of service have been nationally recognised this week following news that the airport has been nominated as Best UK Airport 2004 in Travel Weekly’s annual Globe awards.

The nomination follows hard on the heals of the airport’s successful bid to win the prestigious international OAG Airport Marketing Award at the 2004 World Route Development Forum in Madrid, held only two weeks ago.

Bristol International is one of only eight airports to be put forward for the Best UK Airport 2004 Award, as nominated by travel agents across the UK. Travel Weekly’s readers will now be invited to vote for the airport of their choice from the eight short-listed. Voting closes on 18 November, and the results of the award will be announced in January 2005 at the annual award ceremony held in central London.

Commenting on the nomination Andrew Skipp Managing Director said, “Bristol International works hard to provide one of the UK’s leading airport customer experiences. Over the last two years we have doubled the number of scheduled routes to 36, and we have worked tirelessly with travel agents, tour operators and airlines to ensure that all of our 90 destinations are successfully promoted.

“As one of the UK’s fastest growing airports, and with major ambitions in term as of future development, Bristol Internatonal is committed to expanding its range of destinations for both business and leisure travellers.

“The recent announcement by Continental Airlines to introduce a daily scheduled service to New York, commencing May 2005, confirms the enormous strength of Bristol International, and this flagship route places us truly in the airport Premier League.

“This is an extremely important award and we are thrilled to have been nominated for the prestigious title, Best UK Airport 2004.”

Trevor Harding, Publisher of Travel Weekly added, “It is a tremendous achievement for any airport to be short-listed for the Travel Weekly Best UK Airport Globe Award, and for this Bristol International should be applauded. Should the airport win this accolade it will be fantastically positioned to promote itself nationally within the travel industry, and regionally across the South West and Wales with travel agents and the public at large.”

Of course there are 8 airports up for this award this year: BHX, BRS, EMA, GLA, LHR, LGW, MAN and STN.

I would love for BRS to recieve the award but who would you like to see recieve.

Terrier

:ok:

Doug the Head
15th Oct 2004, 09:13
Well, definitely not LTN! :ugh:

A nice UK airport huh? Let me think. Ehhhh....... Ehhhhhh..... I give up!

Oh wait! Maybe LPL?

MerchantVenturer
15th Oct 2004, 10:42
terrier

I take it the voters will be travel trade professionals in the main as I understand this is the group that Travel Weekly services.

As an ordinary punter I would find it impossible to vote because, of the eight listed finalists, I have only travelled through BRS and GLA in the past twelve months.

How can you really compare somewhere like LHR with a smallish (although rapidly growing) airport such as BRS?

BRS serves all my needs and I have always found it to be very efficient and user-friendly. I no longer think of London airports for longer trips. For transatlantic I have been using hubs such as AMS from BRS for many years. I much prefer to sit at Schipol for a couple of hours awaiting my connection than spending a similar amount of time slogging up that dreadful M4 motorway to Heathrow.

It would be wonderful if BRS won, especially if the award really did act as a catalyst for more services.

WHBM
15th Oct 2004, 11:54
I'm surprised not to see London City on here, not only because I feel they should win but because a lot of their traffic must be booked through corporate travel agents.

I'm equally surprised to see Stansted on there, not only because I feel they should never have been even shortlisted for such an award (in fact having them even in the "best 8 in Britain" risks making a mockery of the whole award) but so much of what they handle is booked over the web, bypassing travel agents completely.

surely not
15th Oct 2004, 12:45
Did Shoreham make it onto the list? :O

we_never_change
15th Oct 2004, 18:20
Did Shoreham make it onto the list?

tut tut, Brighton City airport :=
(os so says Rockhopper)

WNC

terrier21
15th Oct 2004, 22:36
It Is MV and it would be nice to see BRS recieve it especially if it is a catalist for new routes.

Terrier