PDA

View Full Version : A levels and sponsorship

Just another student
14th Oct 2004, 16:28
Hey guys,
I have not been on this website for a long time now, so bare with me. As I have just started my leave period from work, I have been attempting to gather information about any of the sponsorship courses offered by CTC etc today. However there is one major stumbling block. As one poster mentioned on the Flybe topic, the min requirement to apply is 5 (I think) GCSE'S and two A level passes A-C. I have the GCSE'S no problem, however I only have C-D passes at A'Level and not in relevent subjetcs. I currently hold a PPL with IMC rating and have passed all 14 written ATPL exams. If I were to apply, do you think that my application would just be thrown away?
I am presently employed by a certain well known UK Charter airline as a FA and most Flight crew I speak to have told me to apply for CTC. However they are not aware of my A level 'problem.' I am more than willing to send in applications, but they do say if min requirements are not met, don't bother!

This may seem a point less post, however any constructive views would be appreciated.

Cheers

JAS

Oscar Juliet
14th Oct 2004, 18:58
It doesn't cost anything to apply (initally) to CTC. So complete the application form and find out whether they will accept you to the next stage!

Good luck

Penworth
15th Oct 2004, 09:02
If you're talking about the CTC ab inito sponsorship programme, then you'll do well to get a look in once you've done your ATPL exams. I was called back for a second attempt (after failing at Stage 3 last year) but when they discovered I was half way through the ATPL's they changed their mind becuase they said my training had got to a too advanced stage and I could no longer be considered "ab inito" - fair enough I suppose. Still, as OJ says, no harm in applying and see what they say.

Good luck :ok:

PW

Re-Heat
15th Oct 2004, 09:12
Why don't you re-take the A-Level that is below a C, and then you won't have the problem?

Just another student
15th Oct 2004, 11:57
Re-Heat, unfortunately it would not be as simple as that. The subject I took falls into two sections which gives you two A-levels. I could not repeat just that section. I looked into going back to college and doing physics and maths distance learning, but the costs etc are prohibitive. I was also advised that I didn't need to.

Penworth, that is another factor which may well put me out of the equation. Certainly for CTC ab inito.

Oscar Juliet, true.... they do say if you don't buy a ticket you won't win the raffle.

I am in a lucky position where by I can afford (through work etc) to be able to complete training up to a CPL with Multi rating. This of course is hoping that I complete things first time round on min hours :D (fingers crossed) However I am still short when it comes to the Multi- IR and MCC etc This would require a bank loan of some sort, maybe 15/16 thousand or so. Hence my looking at these kind of programmes.

Paying off those type of debts in a low paid job does not sound fun, especially when you don't know when or if you will be invited to interview, never mind get that first job! However I aint moaning, i'm just over the moon that I have got this far.

Cheers