PDA

View Full Version : Virgin's voice off the air

Wirraway
14th Oct 2004, 15:38
Fri "The Australian"

Virgin's voice off the air
Steve Creedy, Aviation writer
October 15, 2004

COLOURFUL Virgin Blue spokesman David Huttner is stepping down as the airline's head of communications and strategy and returning to Europe.

Mr Huttner, Virgin Blue's public voice since its inception, leaves in December but will continue to work for the low-cost carrier as an adviser.

The decision is understood to have been prompted by a career opportunity in Europe for Mr Huttner's wife and a desire by the executive to spend more time with his family.

News of his departure comes after the airline revealed on Tuesday that it had appointed former Thomas Cook chief executive Stefan Pichler to the new role of chief commercial officer.

Mr Huttner, who has Virgin options worth $591,639, was involved in the decision to hire Mr Pichler, who will be responsible for a range of areas that include communications and marketing.

A US-born former travel agent, Mr Huttner joined Virgin Express in Brussels in 1996.

He moved to Australia in 2000 to assist in the launch of Virgin Blue as the fledgling carrier's head of commercial, and publicly spearheaded many of the airline's high-profile stoushes and stunts.

As head of strategy and communications, he was involved in setting up Virgin's overseas unit, Pacific Blue, and the domestic carrier's expansion.

Virgin chief executive Brett Godfrey yesterday paid tribute to the departing executive.

"David's contribution to the success of the airline has been significant and I am therefore pleased that Virgin Blue will still be able to take advantage of his experience and expertise going forward on some projects we are currently working on," he said.

Mr Pichler is a former head of worldwide sales at German airline Lufthansa and a non-executive director of Deutsche Bank and Steigenberger Hotels.

He developed Thomas Cook from a national tour company to the world's second biggest leisure group and is viewed by some analysts as a possible successor to Mr Godfrey.

=============================================

TIMMEEEE
14th Oct 2004, 23:30
One down, one to go.

I would beg to differ about David Huttner being "the voice" of Virgin Blue.
The only voice we ever seem to hear is Brett Godfrey whining incessently like a nerdy schoolkid that just had his lunch money nicked by the schoolyard bully!!

Only ever heard Mr Huttner once on a radio interview and I was genuinely surprised to hear the US accent.
He was well but softly spoken and to the point.
I'm sure he would have been far more effective than the frustrating whinges that Brett Godfrey had to offer with all of his hard luck stories and blaming everyone from Lord Lucan to the Feds.

It's all a conspiracy against you Brett and now your job may be under threat from a proven airline executive with strong credentials.

Best wishes to Mr Huttner and good luck to Mr Pichler.

Buster Hyman
15th Oct 2004, 02:23
Hang on....wasn't he working for VS in SYD prior to 1996??? I'm sure I had dealings with him & another current DJ staff member when they were reps for VS.:confused: