PDA

View Full Version : Cats

c-bert
14th Oct 2004, 14:03
I'm thinking of getting a cat and would value the advice of fellow Ppruners. What sort should I get, where from and how much to pay?

I don't really want a resuce cat as they tend to be pretty neurotic. Equally I don't have time to spend with a kitten to litter train it. Any thoughts...?

Thanks!

Editted to remove a 'cheers!' at the end

IFTB
14th Oct 2004, 14:04
Yes, that is a difficult question!

http://www.gifs.net/animate/anmatcat.gif

Cheers! :}

TamedBill
14th Oct 2004, 14:14
I know you say you don't want a rescue cat as you think they are all neurotic (where did you get that notion?!) But have you considered getting a slightly older rescue cat who was a stray? They are usually so gratefull to have a home they make fantastic pets.
I personally abhor the notion of buying animals when there are so many already that need a good home.

Whirlygig
14th Oct 2004, 14:24
IFTB has got it - go for a black cat with white paws. There MUST be a breed of these. Post-Office cats, factory cats, farm cats and pub cats. They are moggies; robust health-wise with no neurotic hang-ups.

Go to Cats Protection League, RSPCA; they can have some great cats and, as TB said, you could provide a home to an older cat who could have had an elderly owner who has died or had to go to a home.

The people who run the rescue centres get to know their cats well and will know whether you would be suited but they may want to inspect your home.

When I already had four cats, I inherited another two (and I mean inherited quite literally). But I still had to be inspected. The CPL lady criticised me for not keeping my cats in at night. I told her that cats are night hunters and they need to go out at night; that is what cats do and I wouldn't take that away from them.

DO consider a kitten. For 6 months of litter-tray until they can go out, they will provide you with marvellous entertainment. There are some very good cat litters now which really do absorb the odour. Also, any odour will depend on what you feed them in the first place.

Cheers

Whirlygig

Onan the Clumsy
14th Oct 2004, 14:36
Not necessarily neurotic. I subscribe to the SPCA newsletter and they have adoption pages. Often, there are heartbreaking stories of adult cats, who have many years left in them who need to be adopted out because their human died of old age or went into a home. These would be perfect for you, no kitten training and a loving companion with no hang ups. :ok:

Jerricho
14th Oct 2004, 14:53
From my experience, a "ready made" rescue cat seems to be the way forward if you've never had a cat before. Os Onan says, no kitten training required, and it may just be a psychological thing, but they do seem to appreciate being rescued. And, as bad as it may sound, there is often a "honeymoon" period available that if after a couple of weeks it doesn't work out, you can always try again with another.

Remember though, you don't choose a cat, they choose you.

TamedBill
14th Oct 2004, 14:55
So true!
I used to do voluntary work at a Blue Cross centre a few years ago now and these and some of the strays made the best pets.

The 'neurotic' ones were usually the kittens people hadn't bothered to house train and lost interest in as they got older and became less 'cute' and had then offloaded onto the centre to be re-homed.

Kittens and anything with an eye/ear/leg missing were re-homed really quickly (lame duck syndrome).
Some strays had turned completely feral and were better suited to farms, some were clearly loving family pets that had just got lost during for example, a house move.
The centre will know if the animal is house trained/children friendly etc and make sure you talk to the person who cares for the beast you are interested in the the most.

Cornish Jack
14th Oct 2004, 14:55
Whirlygig
Your view on the needs of cats re. night manoeuvres may be entirely applicable to feral cats but I understood you were referring to DOMESTICATED cats .... there is a difference! None of my many cats have been allowed out at night; none have suffered as a result and, for certain sure, the local wild life has had a vastly better time of it.
It seems to be one of those common misconceptions that a cat is a cat is a cat and NEEDS to go out at night . Presumably you don't ever bother to feed your cats because they need to hunt for their own?? I suggest that the CPL lady was entirely right.

under_exposed
14th Oct 2004, 14:57
We have had three cats, all were free. The first was born in our shed and the mothers owner let us keep one. The second was from the CPL. The third was from a pub.
All three were indoors cats. They used a litter tray. They did not need much in the way of training (just seamed to know what to do).
The second was very good with children but started dumping under our sons cot so I found a new home for it. The third cat was OK with children but decided the house next door was quieter and moved in with them. We still have the first cat, not that keen on children but now accepting them a bit more that they are older.
We have had very few problems, cat 1 was attached by someone else's cat and needed a lot of trips to the vet (get pet insurance).
Cat 1 also p1ssed in my coat pocket once!
You may wish to try something like Hills science diet, its cheaper than tinned food and there is less "by product" after the cat has finished with it.

Biggles Flies Undone
14th Oct 2004, 15:07
Save yourself a heap of grief and have some company and something other than a creature that uses your house as a hotel – GET A DOG!

TamedBill
14th Oct 2004, 15:11
:D ha ha haaarrrr :D.............Just make sure you get it from a re-homing centre too!

Biggles Flies Undone
14th Oct 2004, 15:36
Pick up the feeding bowl.
Cat glances idly at you.
Dog does backflips and barks wildly.

Mention the word ‘walk’.
Cat decides to occupy your vacant chair.
Dog does backflips and barks wildly.

A stranger calls at your house.
Cat stretches and yawns.
Dog barks like crazy and bounces off the front door.

Forget to put food out.
Cat scratches your best furniture and shreds your favourite curtains.
Dog wags tail and looks at you pleadingly.

It's a no brainer. What on earth am I missing?

Whirlygig
14th Oct 2004, 15:39
Cornish Jack,

I absolutely resent and object to your post. I live in the country near The Ridgeway racing gallops where my six cats have their flap and can come and go as they choose. Why shouldn't they have the freedom to hunt and keep down the mouse and rat population. Yes, they get fed; three times a day. They are all fully jabbed and chipped. If any need medical care, they get the best.

I could also make suppositions as to what sort of person you are but I am not going to stoop to your level. If you feel that the area in which you live is not suitable for cats at night because of traffic (or whatever), then that is your call but it is not your right to take the moral high ground here.

breakscrew
14th Oct 2004, 16:14
Two thousand years ago cats used to be worshipped as Gods. Cats have no reason to think that things have changed. ;)

Paracab
14th Oct 2004, 16:26
Was going to get a kitten recently, but went to an RSPCA roadshow having decided there are too many homeless cats.

Got a black and white longhair called George and he seems to be very grateful to have a home instead of being shoved all over the place, like he had been.

He was quite mangy and very thin when we got him, but just a few months down the line he is now very healthy, and has turned out to be a great cat.

Would recommend doing it that way to anyone.

radeng
14th Oct 2004, 16:28
breakscrew has it right!

We inherited a pure bred brown Burmese with our house, and she was so friendly that when eventually she had to be put down, we got a pair of pure bred chocolate Burmese sisters. They too are extremely friendly, and we let them out when we're home, and not at night (after about 10pm, before about 5.30am) as there's plenty of foxes and badgers round our way.

You can't expect pure bred cats cheap, though. These came from the breeder at 13 weeks, fully house trained. Incidentally, you would expect pure bred cats to have shorter lives than moggies, but in fact 18 is considered fairly young for a Burmese, compared with around 14 or 15 for your average moggy.

If you're going to be out a lot, you either really need an older cat who is accustomed to being left alone, or a pair, so that they're company for each other. If you let them out, they will catch things and there's no stopping them. It's worth not having a cat flap so they don't bring things home, though.

I'm not always happy at the way one of mine looks at the Hercules going over head with that sort of 'wonder if I could look' - but a C130 maybe just a bit much! Funnily enough, 40 odd years ago, I had a cat who had just the same look when he saw a Vulcan!

The Invisible Cat
14th Oct 2004, 17:08
breakscrew

Two thousand years ago cats used to be worshipped as Gods. Cats have no reason to think that things have changed.
Why would they ? :ok: :ok:

BTW, one thunk you're slightly underestimating that lapse of time, 'tis in fact summat like five thousand !
Bast, Perfumed Protector, Cat Goddess
She has been dated to at least the Second Dynasty (c. 2890-2686 Before Common Era [B.C.E.]). more here (http://www.crystalinks.com/baste.html)

djk
14th Oct 2004, 17:34
You can always check the classified section of the local papers and see if anyone is giving away their cat for whatever reason. Or if someone at your work place is moving away and can't take their cat with them.

Only last week Mrs DJK and I adopted a 5 year old cat from one of the ladies at her work.

Boudicca as she is now called, (we didn't like her original name of Jasmine) has become accustomed to napping on my chest when I lay down on the couch to watch tv.

The other two cats in the house are slowly getting used to her.

The previous owner told us that the cat craves attention and she felt that she couldn't give it the attention it needed and wanted it to go to a good home.

WG774
14th Oct 2004, 21:35
Another recommendation for a rescue cat here. Our one came from a feuding couple who got rid of her when she was 2 years old. When she first turned up she was highly strung, wouldn't go near us, and shirked under the sofa for a few days. After a few weeks she became acclimatised, and has turned out to be one of the gentlest, most affectionate cats I can remember.

Couldn't have asked for a sweeter animal really. I believe cats respond to their environment, if you treat them well they reciprocate.

tinpis
15th Oct 2004, 04:49
Beware!
If puss has been treated badly as a kitten she WILL NOT respond to humans no matter what you try.
This is in the first six weeks of life.
If you have the funds recommend the Burmese but look out for them folks love em and they are very nickable.
Do some research on your breeder as well before handing over your dosh.

Tinnys Little Pooh (http://fototime.com/%7B96107B1B-2073-4978-B22C-70D2958E50B3%7D/picture.JPG)

rotaryman
15th Oct 2004, 06:26
I Love cats,,, especially with baked potatoes and a Nice Onion Gravy!!......:E oh and their Fur makes a great Hat!

TamedBill
15th Oct 2004, 09:28
Aren't Burmese the breed that is very 'talkative' and has a high pitched non-stop whiny yowl like someone elses really precocious spoilt irritating child and are also a bit thick so they fail to grasp basic house training and are high risk repeat offenders for wrecking furniture? :confused:

IFTB
15th Oct 2004, 10:09
TamedBill :

Yes.
We have one! :rolleyes:

henry crun
15th Oct 2004, 10:39
My burmese was never like that, he was quiet and very affectionate.

I think you might be confusing them with siamese, which in my experience are just like TamedBill described.

airship
15th Oct 2004, 12:11
Get with it everyone. Burma today is called Meownmar! So... :)

redsnail
15th Oct 2004, 13:06
Tinpis,
What a great photo. We cracked up laughing at your cute moggy's expression.
:ok:

My cousin in Italy has been adopted by a gorgeous entire Tom. He must have some oriental breed in him, he has dark points, blue eyes and is very talkative. The rest of him is very pale cream with part tabby markings. Very affectionate moggy.

noisy
15th Oct 2004, 14:33
Don't have embossed wallpaper!! They Love to sharpen their claws on it. Or mog uses this trick as a lever to get attention when she wants to get out or get fed.

:eek:

IFTB
15th Oct 2004, 14:39
a gorgeous entire Tom

Do they normally adopt in parts?

My burmese was never like that,
H.Crun, I stand corrected, ours is a Siamese, I only looked at the piccie and did not read the words. Ours (Siamese) looks near identical to Tinpin's but has sky blue eyes (and a short tail).

Taildragger55
15th Oct 2004, 14:43
Development profile for rescued cat:

Week 1 Arrives in house, hides in dark corner mewling piteously, eats anything it is given

Week 2 Gains confidence, sometimes emerges, sleeps in dark corner

Week 3-5 Gradual gain inconfidence

Week 6 Refuses all but the most expensive cat food. Mews angrily if feeding is delayed more than 30 seconds. Sits on your newspaper when you try to do the crossword. Sleeps in your favourite chair and shoots daggered looks at you if you attempt to go near it.

TheStormyPetrel
15th Oct 2004, 15:27
The most important thing about having a cat is wanting it badly enough and sensibly enough to love it under all circumstances - better and worse.

Like every living being, there are good aspects and not so good, and I think you have to be prepared to love your cat no matter what.

We took on a stray that had been mistreated. With infinite patience and tolerance, it took about a year before it was more/less relaxed around us, including inside.

Another year before it really relaxed around men in the family, boots and brooms or other stick like items.

Another year or so before it could sit still when it heard the rubbish truck going by, and not run to hide.

Now it is a pushy puss who loves to sit with us, rub around us and curls up on the bed - at our feet. He runs to greet us when we come home and knows our house rules, like that he can sit on the chairs, but no touching the tables.

He was a wild, badly treated scared cat who has become a domesticated family cat. Yes, a rescued cat would work fine with a loving, caring, patient family.

yintsinmerite
15th Oct 2004, 16:43
Cats, Horrible creatures that should be systematically wiped out.

You get more genuine affection from a slug

Now a good pussy though . . . .

Mad Monk
15th Oct 2004, 19:26
A kitten brought up by its mother for eight weeks will normally be fully litter trained.
Always so in my experience.

redsnail
15th Oct 2004, 20:07
The word entire means the Tom cat hasn't been neutered. He does spray but only outside. (Thank goodness!!)

Ranger 1
15th Oct 2004, 20:45
Get a rescue or better still encourage a local stray cat, as we did about 9 years ago, (Ginger tom) it's only visited the Vets once after having been suffering from Cat flu for weeks, it is wormed regular which is vital as it feeds off almost anything small furry with 4 legs! Therefore it is a 1st class pest controller & is used to the area & its dangers. roads etc.
It hates expensive food loves the real cheap crappy stuff & lives happily in the garden shed. in a carboard box with an old pillow & blanket.
Make sure the moggy you end up with is neutered/ spayed unless you want a shed load of em;)
Another tip is if you live in a Rural country area visit, a vet that tends to deal with farm annimals as well, as they are less likley to mess you around when things go wrong.
Good luck :ok:

TamedBill
15th Oct 2004, 22:33
.....Just be a bit wary if the same 'country farm vet' rolls up one of his sleeves to above the elbow when examining your cat.

WG774
16th Oct 2004, 16:47
C-Bert: If you're still looking to adopt a cat, Pinky is up for adoption: Pinky the Cat (http://homepage.mac.com/whysheep/iMovieTheater6.html)

(Make sure to watch it to the end (it's only a small file to download btw). Anyone who treats a cat like that deserves what they get :E )

16th Oct 2004, 18:00
Aren't Burmese the breed that is very 'talkative' and has a high pitched non-stop whiny yowl like someone elses really precocious spoilt irritating child and are also a bit thick so they fail to grasp basic house training?

And there was me thinking that that description only applied to Essex girls.:E

redsnail
16th Oct 2004, 19:47
The "Pinky the cat" video is pretty funny. Pity about the poor bloke though. I wonder if any one actually adopted "Pinky the gentle lovable cat"?

SlamClick
19th Oct 2004, 05:13
c-bern, if you get a kitty keep in mind the little critter could be around a very long time. My tabby cat 'Sting' is 24 years old. He's moved all over the U.S. with me. He turned out to be great with the kids and I feel lucky for it. So, keep in mind that you may have "kitty" a very long time into familyhood. Good luck and you'll know when you've found the right cat.

tinpis
19th Oct 2004, 06:31
another for cat haters... (http://fototime.com/%7BD857884B-731D-4AA9-97C7-CDC4F541D495%7D/picture.JPG)

c-bert
19th Oct 2004, 14:30
Wow, thanks for all the replys guys. I think I'll get in touch with the CPL or RSPCA then. My girlfirend (for whom the cat would be a gift) has had a couple of cats since she was very young although they now live with her mother. It is these (rescue) cats on which I base my experience. Still, appreciate all the input.

Thanks again! :ok:

tart1
16th Jan 2005, 20:29
If you like cats, have a look at this

http://www.energyradio.fm/content/sillycats.asx

chiglet
16th Jan 2005, 20:56
My sons' [aka my] dog, is nearing the end. She is 14, has Arthur and nerve damage to her "back end", deaf and almost blind. BUT is still there with her lemon drops.
"Que"? I hear you say......the two cats "snuggle" up to her all the time.... :ok:
watp,iktch

Constable Clipcock
21st Jan 2005, 11:36
My first feline as an adult (my family once had an ocelot when I was a young boy) was a stray who had been compelled to live in the feral mode for some unknown span of time. Back in 1991, I had just gotten released from duty with my reserve unit (GW1) and soon after returning home, this big black tomcat began to appear, stalking warily through the courtyard of the apartment building where I'd lived at the time. No-one else wanted him around at first, but once he (quickly!) established dominance over the other cats, he became a permanent fixture. The other cats began to respect "his" territory, which turned out to be co-located with my doorstep! Having an admiration for toughness on that cat's part, naturally I began to feel sorry for him and I made it a point to leave food out for him on a daily basis. Every day when I'd arrive home from work, he'd be waiting with a meow worthy of one of his larger cousins. Soon, he moved in and — after all these years — I still have him! (actually, he's lived with my parents since I went on my initial deployment for the current GWOT... together with two other strays I'd adopted along the way.)

Even with bilateral cataracts which have left him almost completely blind the past several years, he's still the dominant cat in the pride, and still actively hunts! Couldn't have asked for a better pet, BTW, though I don't envision having the pride back in my own residence ever again. They've bonded too closely with my parents and one another by now, and further, my wife doesn't share my fondness for cats (we couldn't expect to agree on everything of course, so my parents are keeping the cats!).

airship
21st Jan 2005, 14:29
A fine man is our Constable Clipcock by the look of his post! One suggestion though. You could always consider getting rid of current wife?! ;) In fact, I decided sometime ago to throw myself at the mercy of felines in this World in the hope for another better existence in the next. One is hoping that cat-heaven lives upto its name...in all manner of interpretation?! No ordinary cat-house for me. I'm looking forward to a gigantuan cat-palace by the seaside... :O

Binoculars
21st Jan 2005, 15:20
I have only just discovered this thread, and due to pig ignorance or laziness or both I have prevailed upon the esteemed BFU to link for me a wonderful mpg designed for cat lovers.

I don't wish to be seen as too mushy, so Biggles, if it has been on these hallowed pages before or you think it's just too soppy, don't post it. :uhoh:

Solid Rust Twotter
21st Jan 2005, 20:36
Nah, Binos.No sweat...

Always liked mogs but six hounds not used to them so WWIII would be the result. Pity, as a mog or three lounging around with supercilious attitudes are just what's needed chez Twotter.

AerBabe
22nd Jan 2005, 10:13
Does anyone have any experience of Ocicats and Maine Coons? 'Owning' experience, that is. :rolleyes:

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Jan 2005, 12:24
I believe Maine Coons are pretty docile and laid back. Would've liked a couple but need something with a bit more of a mean streak to control my hounds effectively. Good looking mog, though, and one still has them on the short list.

RUDAS
22nd Jan 2005, 12:45
i've considered getting a nice little pussy myself...

Binoculars
22nd Jan 2005, 12:48
BFU must have decided my mpg was too soppy. :{ Or maybe he's just having a long weekend.

(How come photobucket never accept memberships in my waking hours?)

Duckbutt
22nd Jan 2005, 14:02
Was this the link you were looking for Binos?

For cute kitten lovers (http://www.richsalter.btinternet.co.uk/cks2/index.html)

:E :E :E :E

Binoculars
22nd Jan 2005, 14:06
I'm disgusted, Duckbutt, that you would consider me capable of such things. I strongly advise all pussy lovers to avoid that link, and if you do click on it, take notice of the warning that you may be totally disgusted. :uhoh:

(Err, since BFU appears to be playing Dungeons and Dragons with Flaps and Flyblue, I'll send my mpg to you on the hope that you may have a softer side and post it for me.)

Err, no I won't. I forgot I can't attach files to emails from here. :ooh:

Constable Clipcock
22nd Jan 2005, 14:10
"Current", airship? She's the only wife I've ever had and we're still newlyweds. As long as I've waited to snag this one (I'm 41, she's 20), I'm not about to get rid of her! Used to think my cats would absolutely have to be part of the picture, but that's one thing that I've had to reconsider as time went by.