PDA

View Full Version : "Cheers"

1DC
14th Oct 2004, 11:01
I frequently get irritated when people say "Cheers" to me instead of "Thankyou".
I asked a young chap why he said cheers and he was of the opinion that thankyou could be interpreted as a show of weakness but cheers was a more neutral statement.
The world is getting a bit sadder everyday....

aidanf
14th Oct 2004, 11:03
I don't have a problem with 'cheers' - I usually sign off my e-mails with the word and then my name. It just seems more informal which is suited to the medium of e-mail. At least its not 'c u l8r'

Feeton Terrafirma
14th Oct 2004, 11:13
Surely cheers is an abreviation of "I wish you good cheer" or something very similar? Hence something you would say to a friend on parting. Quite different to saying thankyou if they have been of service to you.

Whirlygig
14th Oct 2004, 11:20
Why get irritated by it. I sign off all my e-mails and Pprune posts with "cheers" and in this context, it hardly means "thank you".

It is a "Catch-all" type expression; an informal thank-you (which, in my opinion should only be used in informal situations), a "sign-off" or farewell-type expression.

I think you need to chill out a bit; vent your spleen on getting irritated with sloppy grammar and diction. But "cheers" is a well-meant and friendly expression; how can that be bad? It's better than a grumpy "ugh" or silence!

Cheers

Whirlygig

BlueWolf
14th Oct 2004, 11:46
It is a living, breathing, ever-evolving thing, this phenomenon we call the English Language.

Fret not that the young man of your acquaintance used a word outside the context with which you were familiar; give thanks that he used it with good heart and intent.

;)

Takan Inchovit
14th Oct 2004, 11:51
:ok: Thats the story BlueWolf.

cheers.

Flytest
14th Oct 2004, 11:52
Isn't "Cheers" part of the phrase "Cheers easy" which is what you say when booting some bird out of your bed at 6 am???

:E

Now standing by for a verbal kicking from Whirly and Stormy :p

BlueWolf
14th Oct 2004, 11:55
TI: Oath mate.
:ok:

Whirlygig
14th Oct 2004, 12:03
I wouldn't know Fly - no bloke has ever booted me out of bed :O

However, since etymology seems to be your thing, perhaps you could shed some more light on the derivation of what is one of my favourite words.

Cheers

Whirlygig

VnV2178B
14th Oct 2004, 12:11
Oh, come on,

'cheers' is scarcely a new expression is it.
I recall using it to mean thank you after my first year at university which was 1969!

I was working at Cadbury's and got completely blank looks from my colleagues and every time I inadvertently saud 'cheers' thought 'I really must stop saying that!'

But I can't...

cheers,

VnV

Flytest
14th Oct 2004, 12:18
I wouldn't know Fly - no bloke has ever booted me out of bed

Hope you can still say that on Sunday morning after your girls night in "N'arch":p

mazzy1026
14th Oct 2004, 14:02
Cheers aint bad, its the "Cheers mate" I cant stand, or "cheers ears" !

With the greatest of gratitude (now there's a cheers)

Maz :cool:

Whirlygig
14th Oct 2004, 14:05
Ah... but where would you stand on "Cheers, luv" which tends to be my phrase.

Cheers

Whirlygig

Flytest
14th Oct 2004, 15:32
Or as women usually say after multiple orgasm... "Cheers Flytest":cool:

Foxy Loxy
14th Oct 2004, 15:51
Flytest - is your willy REALLY as big as your ego????!!! ;) :p ;)

Foxy

Whirlygig
14th Oct 2004, 15:58
It couldn't POSSIBLY be!

TamedBill
14th Oct 2004, 16:00
......and are there really any women left who would go near him without a zoo strength dart gun handy just in case he tried to 'cock a woo' ? :}

Flytest
14th Oct 2004, 16:00
Foxy: Haven't you heard????:p

Whirly: :ouch: The ego isn't outrageously large... Is it? I was just being sincere:E

TB The numbers are dwindling mate, soon have to move up to Berkshire for new prey :}

greatorex
14th Oct 2004, 17:38
I always use it too!

Cheers,

G

tall and tasty
14th Oct 2004, 18:12
Only time this should be used is with a glass in hand and a toast to someone! Especially if it is bubbly

Hate it when someone says cheers at the end of a conversation on a phone not very polite in my mind.

Sorry but the way I am

Tnt:ok:

A10 Thundybox
15th Oct 2004, 01:48
bald tattooed string vested types say "cheers" when they actually mean to say "I 'umbly remain, Sir Thundy, forever in your debt."

'tis quicker and easier for them to remember.

gawd bless 'em.

Whirlygig
15th Oct 2004, 07:48
[QUOTE]soon have to move up to Berkshire for new prey

It's OK girls, I have sent his description to The Newbury Weekly News to beware.

Cheers

Whirlygig

Flytest
15th Oct 2004, 09:28
Don't forget to include my phone number whirls, no point doing half a job!!!:p

Lon More
15th Oct 2004, 10:20
Flytest - is your willy REALLY as big as your ego????!!!

He didn't actually claim to be present at the time