PDA

View Full Version : Psychometric testing

Binoculars
14th Oct 2004, 08:23
Friend of my daughter just finishing Year 12 went to Sydney for testing with QF recently and failed the psychometric evaluation.

Could somebody attempt to explain to me just what is involved in these tests?

J0N0
14th Oct 2004, 08:33
Well Bino's easiest thing probably is to check out the Qantas web site follow the employment or recruiting links or whatever and see some examples of what a candidate has to do for the psyche. Lots of people have varying opinions as to how much weight each section has in defining what is a "pass" and I will spare you my own guess. The other thing is apparently the psyche is designed to cull a huge amount of applicants and because QF is so highly regarded and they get soooo many applicants they have the luxery of being able to be quite choosy.
Hope that helps
J

prospector
14th Oct 2004, 08:40
Binoculars,
Try a Google search on "psychometric testing".

You will get all the info you could require, and then some.

Prospector

gaunty
14th Oct 2004, 09:34
Done more than a few over the years and they are all remarkably consistent and pretty good at sussing stuff.

There is no pass or fail on these things, they just generate a profile about your attitudes, cognitive, educational level and personal characteristics that are a result of your lifes journey to that point and like a fingerprint everyones is fairly unique.

The client can then either specify the sort of profile they are after, or test an existing group in their org who have proven to be "succesful", by their criterion, in their environment, for an empirical profile and then ask the testing agents to correlate the "best fit" candidiates profiles within a given variation with them.

It is possible to do this without identifying the individuals who are "best fit", until this part of the "filtering" process is completed. This provides a mechanism to avoid personal bias towards or against blue eyed georgeous looking blondes. :)

In this modern world an old mate of mine had to take the sign down in his office that read "if your tits dont touch the wall before your toes do, you wont get a job here.":p I was never all that comfortable with it it was then a fairly common attitude, that would now get you fired, fined and/or goaled.:}

Binoculars
14th Oct 2004, 13:08
Thanks all. I did as Prospector suggested, followed one of the links, started reading and woke up an hour later. Eye-glazing stuff, but I get the general idea.

robroy
14th Oct 2004, 13:52
qf is so highly regarded.

HA HA HA HA , HE HE HE HE, YOU MUST BE JOKING !

What a D H.

robroy

propje
15th Oct 2004, 03:15
check the website www.******************