PDA

View Full Version : My Fonts are killing me

Loose rivets
14th Oct 2004, 06:06
Help!!!

My laptop is very limited 266 with win98-2. Having partitioned it some time ago, I felt that 1 gig ish for C and the operating system would be adequate. It isn't. So, I started to move some of the odds into D:. All ok until I moved some fonts, now all seems to have become chaotic. Minute letters on the desktop, and menus, while the applications are ok. Any attempt to restore the fonts from the D drive are met with "delete existing ones first". They will not delete despite changing their attributes. I have renamed the Fonts folder and created another one. This didn't fool it either. It's fighting back at me.

When i tried to move the fonts to the bogus folder, some of them ended up in the recycle bin !!!??? They sort of restore, but don't get recognised.

Is there a simple control that determines the global change of windows fonts?

Now for instance, the Start button is ioOpo while the top menus are ok but bold. LR

Ausatco
14th Oct 2004, 10:56
Just a guess here ... try using the Fonts applet in control panel to import the fonts from the D drive.

AA

Loose rivets
15th Oct 2004, 06:45
It was about the time that I was thinking along those lines, that I gave up and formatted the drive... I'll never know. A soon as I build my megga machine, I will repartition the drive on this one to give more room for C:
The idea was that Apps would live in D: Docs in E: --- but installations seem to still put so much into the operating system that I occasionally run out of disc space. This surprised me ‘cos I let the virtual mem play in D: and not C: and the raw installation leaves 770 ish before progs are loaded into D: . Just what reduces the disc to circa 200 mb before any temp files etc. are written I just can not understand. The sector size is large, but presumably not as large as it would be if i put everything in one unpartitioned drive.

Whats the situation with the more modern OS's? Is there a better FAT system? Does it still need de-fragging? And is there a case for changing to FAT 32 on an old steam driven 266

Cheers LR