PDA

View Full Version : Russian Government control weather

aged
13th Oct 2004, 23:38
It's official, the local government in Sakhalin control when it gets cold and when it warms up. Two extacts from the local English language rag confirm it. Some lucky folk own a water heater of their own but generally not the case. Outside the heating season it is never cold, which is good to know, I must have got it wrong some days.

Heating season over
In accordance with an order signed by the city mayor Fyodor Sidorenko, Sakhalin’s main heating and power supplying company Sakhalinenergo stops heating supplies to the residents from May 12, the press office of the company reported. By May 15, all Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk residents will be cut off from heating supplies.
Residents of apartment buildings located in newer parts of the city will still have hot water supplies. Older parts of Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk will be supplied with hot water only in the new heating season, which usually starts in the middle of October, Sakhalinenergo wrote.
During the summer months, Sakhalinenergo will conduct repair works to prepare its facilities for the 2004-2005 heating season.

Heating season might be delayed
The heating season, which should be launched in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk on September 16, might be delayed, the press office of Sakhalinenergo, the region’s main power and heating supplier, warned. The reason for the delay is a debt by the municipal company ‘Teplovyye seti’ (Heating networks).
Currently, Teplovyye seti owes over 3.4 million dollars to Sakhalinenergo. The latter said that heating will not be supplied to Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk residents until the debt is fully paid.

Feeton Terrafirma
13th Oct 2004, 23:50
They should contact these people:

Prazska teplarenska, a.s. is ready to supply heat on any day of the year; in between heating seasons we supply it on request from clients – i.e., residential or administrative buildings, or companies.

I guess they have a delivery truck and can drop a packet of heat off when you need it. :cool:

Boss Raptor
14th Oct 2004, 07:48
Russian Govt. Control Weather - not really an accurate representation of the story now is it ?!

The reality is this form of communial heating provision is common across all of the old Eastern Bloc as it is in many parts of Europe/EU - and yes the heating supply is turned on and off on certain dates (which clearly in the case of Sakhalin cant be altered, well they are bureaucrats after all).

I recall living in Prague and for 2 weeks in March each year the system was turned off completely for maintenance, no heating or hot water - the fact that often there was still snow on the ground didnt make any difference

...and if your utility company owed money to the electric/fuel company then you too would eventually find your supply terminated - welcome to free enterprise...

Feeton Terrafirma
14th Oct 2004, 11:32
Serious mode ON

How is the heat actually delivered? May be a silly question but I have never actually heard of anything like this, so I seek some enlightening.

Serious mode OFF

Flytest
14th Oct 2004, 11:36
Serious Mode off..

So it gets cold.. Hmmmm ok, have you seen some of the good looking girls in Yuzhno?? I'll find other ways to stay warm next winter and not care about the governor :ok:

Boss Raptor
14th Oct 2004, 13:43
Serious mode on - heat delivered via communial building and/or area boilers and lots of pipe, basically hot water system to taps and radiators in the flats/houses for which u pay a fixed sum each year

DeepC
14th Oct 2004, 14:22
Nottingham has such a system for the public buildings. It is fuelled by the waste incinerator.

About the only good thing I can say about Nottingham.

DeepC

Wino
14th Oct 2004, 18:39
Steam pipes pipe Heat around some sections of NYC as well. Got to be carefull when you did in manhattan...

On the Russians controlling the weather, I remember 20 years ago a serious fear that the Soviets were going to induce an iceage with a series of Dams they were planning to build in Siberia...

Cheers
Wino

Boy_From_Brazil
14th Oct 2004, 19:24
Having experienced this system in Kazakhstan, it is pretty dreadful. The apartments near the boiler house are overheated, entailing windows needing to be left open in the depths of Winter. The apartment blocks furthest away have a very meagre supply of tepid water or heat.

The boiler houses generally rate as one of the most dangerous environments on the planet.

BFB