PDA

View Full Version : Windows Installing Something??????

Compass Call
13th Oct 2004, 21:24
Last night I tried to shut down my computer but it wouldn't.
I got a message telling me that Windows was installing update 1 of 2 and that my computer would shut down when finished. This message was on a blue background and there was nothing to click on to do anything.

I left it running (after unplugging the modem) and when I got back to it some 12 hours later it was still telling me that it was installing update 1 of 2!!!!!!

I shut it down by switching it off. Even now, every time I try to shut down the computer it tries to install update 1 of 2!! Also it does not try to connect to the internet.

I have Win XP Home SP2 installed. Is this anything to do with having automatic updates enabled? Does anybody have any idea just what is going on and how best to deal with it.
:confused:

CC

Avtrician
14th Oct 2004, 10:21
How strange, my brother in law just called with the same proble.

My afdvice was , Press and hold the power button for 5 secs or so and the puter should turn off. Now turn it back on again.

Computer should now work properly.:ok:

Its nice to see the MS updates work properley:yuk: :yuk:

Hope this works for you.:ok: :ok:

BEagle
14th Oct 2004, 11:37
There have indeed been a couple of WinXP SP2 updates issued this week:

KB834707 Security Update
KB885884 Critical Office XP update for SP2 users

Both installed fine on both my laptops.

There was also an Office XP update; for some reason all the characters were in Chinese or Japanese - although it was supposed to be an English language update!

GolfWhiskeyKilo
14th Oct 2004, 12:24
Had a customer with the very same problem. It seems SP2 sets updates to automatic on some machines, and in doing so will just download and install as they see fit, causing all sorts of problems.

I'd suggest either removing SP2 ;) or setting the updates to manual, or "ask user 1st."

HTH

GWK!

P.Pilcher
14th Oct 2004, 15:53
Had exactly the same problem with my wife's machine (XP pro with SP2) I had selected automatic updates on on it and the other night it spent 12 hours trying to complete the first installation of 2. Eventually I switched it off with an extended push on the power button and the machine then booted up fine, however, the same problem occurred when I tried to turn it off again! I found the cure to be to restore the system to a date before the update occurred, turn off automatic updates, then visit the microsoft update site to get them and manually hit the button to install them. System now working normally again, but she is now notified when updates have been downloaded and are ready for installation. Then I get summoned!
As my (similar) machine only downloads updates without automatically installing them, I had no trouble.

P.P.

stickyb
14th Oct 2004, 17:45
If you use Spybot, beware the new teatime facilty.
This intercepts some registry writes and asks if you want to allow them. This could interfere with some windows updates if you don't answer the question, or say disallow.

Compass Call
14th Oct 2004, 18:29
This evening Windows told me that there was one update to install and did I want to install it. I clicked on 'Install' and in 5 minutes it restarted my computer and then told me 'Update complete'.

So it seems that all is well after all. Thanks to all for your input. I will wait and see what happens next before deciding what route to take. I was just a trifle baffled as to why it was taking so long. 12 plus hours to install seemed to be a bit OTT!

CC

Naples Air Center, Inc.
15th Oct 2004, 15:25
Compass Call,

I would set the update manager to tell you when there is an update, so you can pick when you want to download it and install it.

It is my preferred method for receiving updates. This just keeps you from being caught off guard. When you do get the message telling you there is an update. I would do the update as soon as it is convenient. ;)

Take Care,

Richard