PDA

View Full Version : Grupo Taca requirements for Pilots

TI-ANB
13th Oct 2004, 16:45
Hi there

Does anybody here knows what are the minimum requirements (licenses, total time, etc) in Grupo Taca for the Caravan Pilots? I've been looking in their website and did some searches around this site and I haven't been able to find them.

Thanks in advance for your time and help

Panama Jack
14th Oct 2004, 08:56
Hola mi hermano! :cool:

I have never seen anything published, however, I would go ahead and contact SANSA (in Costa Rica) directly. Based on what I have observed at La Costeña (in Nicaragua), I doubt the requirements are very high, perhaps just the bare Commercial with a few hundred hours, since the Caravans tend to be operated as two-crew aircraft. When you talk to the folks at Aeronáutica Civil in San José, you will probably even be able to ask of an inspector who would be familiar with roughly what they ask for.

Suerte :ok:

TI-ANB
14th Oct 2004, 11:48
Hi Panama Jack
Thanks for your answer ;)

That's one of the first things I'll do in December during my vacation in Costa Rica. Last time I asked them (a few years back) and couldn't find a good response. I'll try again though... it would be interesting to know if I have better chances down there....

Panama Jack
14th Oct 2004, 14:10
TI-ANB, given your Total Time, the job situation in Canada and the fact that you are Costa Rican, I would think that the prospects are better for your right now in Costa Rica.

If I may offer an observation. Try to get familiar with the requisites before you head down there and hit them as soon as you arrive. You are surly aware of how the bureacratic process works and how long these things can take. For example, part of the conversion process may involve having them contact Transport Canada to verify the validity of your licence. Also, for most countries, a simple "convalidacion" will only cover you for private flying, so make sure that they understand you want commercial privledges. The DGAC website (http://www.dgac.go.cr/requisitos_varios_norma.html/) provides some good info for a start for the licencing requirements as well as some of the regulations (http://www.dgac.go.cr/documentacion_aip.html). You will almost definately require to take the written exam and a practical to get your Costa Rican Commercial Licence, so perhaps family or friends can go visit Pavas Airport and provide some contacts from flight schools. You can correspond with them by internet perhaps, and they can provide you info on what you need to do, so that you can do some of the leg work before you arrive. If fact, I am sure that they can provide a valueable resource for answering most of these questions so that you can get everything done in the minimum amount of time if you explain your predicament.

Saludos

TI-ANB
14th Oct 2004, 15:09
Hi again,

Yes you are right, the process might take some time. I got my PPL in Costa Rica before coming to Canada, so I do have some contacts that might help me understanding the requisites of the conversion.

I know in advance that I'll have to do the written and flight test again with a Costa Rican examiner. I was there a year ago, and Aviacion Civil told me that convalidating the hours should not be a big deal.

The funny thing is that all my Costa Rican friends (pilots) say that the situation is bad and they would like to go to Canada to get a flying job :confused:

Anyway, let's see what happens. I'll also take a look at the DGAC site....

Thanks again my friend!!