PDA

View Full Version : Laptop or Powerbook?

joe2812
13th Oct 2004, 16:15
Before I start, just thought i'd say I have read the thread a few below this about a PC user with a Mac (most helpful).

I'm about to invest about £1000-£1200 in a laptop however recently i've thought about a Powerbook with the Mac OS etc way of thinking.

I'm a graphics designer who wants to play high power games online (a Mac you think?), but as an avid PC fan for the last 5 or 6 years am I going to end up on a totally new system that will be too different to grasp? I'm not talking desktops, purely notebooks, how do they compare and with Mac catching up with MS, should i take the leap do people think?

And can I just install my software such as Macromedia and MS Office etc onto a Mac no questions asked?

goates
13th Oct 2004, 16:58
What do you mean by high power gaming? If you're talking about Doom3 or Counterstrike Source, then you will need an Alienware or similar high (very high) end laptop. Most graphics cards in laptops can hardly keep up with desktop video cards from a year ago, if that.

My brother does plays America's Army just fine on his iBook, and you can get UT2004 as well. You won't have anywhere near the selection games though as you would on Windows. However if you buy a Mac, an XBox or PS2 would be better for gaming.

As for installing Windows programs, you would need to install VirtualPC to be able to run the Windows version. This will be slower, and is only worth it if you have one very specific program that doesn't have a Mac version. If you are serious about switching, you will need to factor in the cost of buying the Mac versions of your programs. Some companies will let you trade the Windows license for a Mac one for a low cost, but not many. You can get Mac versions of virtually every major graphics program and MS Office.

goates

Naples Air Center, Inc.
15th Oct 2004, 15:19
joe2812,

If you are an avid gamer, you have just about ruled out MAC. Usually all the best games are released for PC long before they are ported over to the MAC.

Then again you can get an Athlon64 Notebook with a Radeon Vid Card, that will smoothly play all the new games out in high resolution. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

Oggin Aviator
15th Oct 2004, 15:40
Then again you can get an Athlon64 Notebook with a Radeon Vid Card, that will smoothly play all the new games out in high resolution.

Like my new ABS Mayhem G3 (http://www.abspc.com/app/Series.asp?familyno=25&series=76). 7200 RPM 60Gb HDD and 1 Gig PC 3200 DDR RAM. Awesome screen. A delight.

Oggin

Naples Air Center, Inc.
15th Oct 2004, 16:02
Oggin Aviator,

Just get ready to duck for cover. :D

Richard

Oggin Aviator
15th Oct 2004, 16:14
Just get ready to duck for cover.

Sorry dont understand old chap. Is is coz its advertising? I'm just recommending a good product which is exceptional value for money at the moment, although our UK bretheren may have some difficulty getting hold of one, seeing as they reside just east of LA. Many people recommend products on Pprune, especially in this forum. Pinnacle Studio 9 springs to mind, recommended by your good self.

Or have I missed the point completely? Probably !!

Oggin.

goates
15th Oct 2004, 16:34
joe2812,

Look for a laptop with a ATI Mobility Radeon 9800 as this is the closest you will get to a desktop in performance.

Mobility Radeon 9800 (http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2171&p=1)

Oggin Aviator,

He's probably just trying to warn you about fanatical Mac users.

Most Mac users know that you don't buy a Mac to play games, and if you want to play, you buy a PC or a console. On the other hand, if you just want to get work done, Mac laptops compare quite well.

goates

Edited for grammar.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
15th Oct 2004, 18:54
Oggin Aviator,

He's probably just trying to warn about fanatical Mac users.

goates nailed. I recommend products here all the time. I would not ever worry about that in this forum. Here we are all together trying to help each other out. :ok:

Richard

Oggin Aviator
15th Oct 2004, 20:56
Richard

Get it now. Thanks. For any sort of decent gaming at the moment you need a PC, not a Mac. I accept that Macs are great for stability and productivity and were I self employed I would probably have one to run the office. But I'm not so I dont.

Just a note on the Mobile Radeon 9800 - Hasnt Dell got all the rights to this card for a few months therefore you cant get it on another laptop except a Dell one at the moment. Thought I read that on another forum a few weeks ago.

Oggin

joe2812
15th Oct 2004, 22:25
All, thanks for the recommendations, keep 'em coming :ok:

Oggin - thanks for the G3 advice, looks like real value for money. Will see where I stand about getting it over the pond.

Thanks again,

Oggin Aviator
15th Oct 2004, 23:06
joe2812

Its based on a Uniwill 258KA0 which you may be able to get in the UK somewhere. Website here. (http://www.uniwill.com/) Good Luck !

Oggin

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Oct 2004, 15:50
joe2812,

Let us know what you end up with. (If you do come to the U.S. I have some places where you could really save some money on a Notebook.) ;)

Take Care,

Richard

Hamrah
16th Oct 2004, 16:39
Try here (http://www.savrow.com/site/razor.html) .

I have one of their desktop machines, can't recommend them enough.

H

Guzzler
26th Oct 2004, 08:04
Gaming aside the new Apple iBook might be closer to your target price.

Spec here (http://www.apple.com/uk/ibook/)