PDA

View Full Version : Flights to Oslo from London

bizflyer
12th Oct 2004, 13:46
Can someone point me in the direction of a good site or agent to book flights into Oslo from London (pref Gatwick or Heathrow). I've just discovered I'll be making the trip on a regular basis and having had a quick squint at BA's site, am a little put off by the prices, I need to go out this Friday (15/10) and can't seem to find much below the £300 mark, Stanstead is pretty much a non-starter because of distance from home, so that kind of rules out Ryanair - I also don't fancy the schlep from Torp, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

PS generally I would go and comeback same day

redfred
12th Oct 2004, 14:26
£300 not bad for a sameday return with no sat night stay cant see where you will get it cheaper to fly from a major airport

Globaliser
12th Oct 2004, 15:01
There's no minimum stay any more for BA short-haul tickets. If you're a general public booker, your price will be governed purely by availability - assuming that you are not fussy about how much flexibility you want to buy, or whether you get full frequent flyer credit. For example, for a same day return on Thu 18 November (randomly chosen), you can get a V class fare of £101 + tax, V being the second lowest general public revenue class in the UK. But this is a travel-or-bust fare: No changes, no refunds, 25% mileage credit and (in the BA scheme) nothing towards status.

So the top tip is really to book early if you want the cheapest tickets.

If you book so late that you can only get a full or very expensive economy fare, always check the business class fares as well. If you don't need the flexibility, there are some cheap business class fares that are cheaper than the most expensive economy fares.

Otherwise, you really need a corporate travel agent, or to negotiate a discount for your business. Final thought: buy 200 BA shares and qualify for 10% off the fare. You can only use the discount on leisure trips, but of course you are always going to Oslo for leisure, aren't you? ;)

Lapper
13th Oct 2004, 09:21
Bizflyer, BA is particularly full on Friday. I can only see availability in Y class, with the cheapest price I'm being quoted as GBP498 plus tax, in D class! SK is coming in at GBP495 plus tax.

bizflyer
13th Oct 2004, 15:25
Thanks to all for taking the time to reply.

I managed to book with BA thru (shameless plug please excuse me or remove if it contravenes the rules) travelocity and got a sameday out and back to Oslo for sub £250.

I wish I could get my head around the way the different booking systems work as it astonishes me the variance between different prices for same flights/day/destination etc...the post above mentions over £450, I have also seen £500 and £600+ for the exact same trip I booked today!!?

Anyway thanks again for your advice.

bizflyer
15th Oct 2004, 09:40
After all that, I went and missed the @?%^ing plane.

sod it.

atco-matic
15th Oct 2004, 12:04
Theres an excellent site called www.travelsupermarket.com which searches all teh normal travel agents at the same time for you and then gives you a link to their site to book the ticket... £268.20 for day return on BA to Oslo on 25/10...

redfred
15th Oct 2004, 12:30
you missed the flight, what happened!

Globaliser
16th Oct 2004, 14:58
Did they put you on the next one? Or was there no point in going by then?

bizflyer
17th Oct 2004, 17:34
There was no point in getting the next one as I wouldn't have had time for the meeting before returning that eve. I missed it because I woke at 5 and went back to sleep for 22 mins. Never mind it was my youngest's 3rd b'day so can't say I was shedding too many tears as I got to spend that day at home.