PDA

View Full Version : People Like Us

maxgrad
12th Oct 2004, 13:06
Anyone catch the program this evening(TUES), People Like us?
Documentary style look at the "Airline Pilot"
Haven't laughed so much for a while.

NAMPS
12th Oct 2004, 22:13
Damn, I missed it!

I remember seeing it a few years ago and thought it was so funny! When I noticed that the series had returned, I was hoping to watch that 'episode'.

Is the series on video or DVD?

Islander Jock
13th Oct 2004, 00:25
NAMPS,
unfortunately the the Airline Pilot episode was part of series 2 which has not been released on video or DVD. That might have changed in the last couple of months since I last checked with BBC shop.

The Other Half
13th Oct 2004, 01:26
What a crack up. :} Glad I taped it! The maker of the film is very astute at magnifying the traits of the professionals he "reports" on. Fantastic, it has to be up there with "What goes uo must come down".

:ok:

Buster Hyman
13th Oct 2004, 02:15
"When does a shorthaul flight become a longhaul flight?"
"Amsterdam"
:D

Animalclub
13th Oct 2004, 08:09
The Captain's been everywhere bar selona" .
Broke me up.

HEALY
13th Oct 2004, 08:40
Could of cut the atmosphere with a knife with the Hostie greeting the FO. What a laugh....

Hate to be a kill joy but couldn't help see the B767 - 300 they were taking to France grew 2 engines in the cockpit.

The whole series was great to see for a second time, down to the ABC shop for me to find the DVD's.

Transition Layer
13th Oct 2004, 09:47
I've also seen it before but enjoyed it just as much this time.

I particularly enjoyed the explanation of how an aircraft flies. :D :D

TL

Woomera
13th Oct 2004, 23:18
Cracked me up! :}

Did anyone notice the airline designator, which was "PX" - that being the IATA designator for Air Niugini.

Most appropriate. Could almost see Sharpie filling the leading role........

Woomera

robroy
14th Oct 2004, 12:31
Actually, I thought it was Louie, being portrayed by a well know Actor, of Academy Award Class, of course.

Apinun wantok belong mepella.

Cheers Sharpie,

robroy

Charlie Foxtrot India
14th Oct 2004, 15:51
A classic, as are all the People Like Us episodes. They have things in that only people in the know would get, one was set in my old home town and had snippets about Winchester that would have meant nothing to "people like us" from anywhere else.

The audio tapes are even funnier, in the Airline Pilot one the captain is called Nigel :p

I love the...
Captain's CRM "Just shut up and listen and I'll tell you what I think you need to know" and generally either ranting and raving "Shut up! Shut up!" or helpless with giggles

The FOs briefing to Roy in the jump seat "Ropes?!"

Erica the hostie serving tea and coffee from the same pot

The other hostie translating her surname into French, and the rest of her apalling translation eg we are now descending "onto" Paris

Erica says how it's a bit like being on stage and Roy says "Oh you mean because of all the make up?"

Erica helping Roy with the jump seat harness (remember those?) "The thing you're looking for is between your legs" (Later the rejected FO askes for help with his harness too)

The reflection in the Tower window of the aeroplane flying backwards

and many many others....

7gcbc
15th Oct 2004, 00:23
Roy gets asked about 10 times "you're not a nervous flyer.. are you ?"

The jumpseat harness is hillarious, Roy is nervous, Erica asks him to relax, bends down........... Roy sighs (with relief he's strapped in)......

Inspired comedy.

The pre-flight commentary about the checklists being similar to a prayer (because if something did go wrong roy comments, that would be all they have!!!), Roy continually interrupting the checklists and the short tempered Capt attitude to everyone is very amusing.

Roy's comments during approach workload are excellent, "Don't you think we're too high ? Oh , it looks a bit small ? Will me make it ? "

fantastic!

any on broadband ?, them PM me for a possible net source.

gaunty
15th Oct 2004, 01:51
Laughed like a drain did I. Classic English p!sstake in the spirit of Eric Cook with shades of Flying High.

I'm absolutely sure I've met that Captain somewhere:}

Islander Jock
15th Oct 2004, 10:36
Yeah Gaunty would't the Captain be a Hoot to fly with - not!

Both actors did carry it off quite well I thought.

Loved the bit during the cruise where the Captain is explaining the "Glass Cockpit" which alerts them to "Anything Abnormal" and the FO turns around and says "He doesn't mean you" to Roy. That's when they both Capt and FO lost it (for real).:O

Jetstar_Virgin
16th Oct 2004, 02:36
I think the classic body language of the FO is priceless.

The captain telling the interviewer to 'carry-on' when everyone has told him that he doesn't have to salute.

Remember that the take-off safety brief is not a 'negro-spiritual' and that OPS is short for convenience!!!

GOLD!

A/F Armed
17th Oct 2004, 04:14
Here are some people like us links, The bbc link has some clips from the 1st series.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/p/peoplelikeus_66602770.shtml

http://www.brainyencyclopedia.com/encyclopedia/p/pe/people_like_us.html

This is the BBC 7 website, it has some older radio versions of People Like us, which cannot be named for legal reasons which cannot be named for other reasons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/index.shtml?logo

http://www.thecustard.tv/shows/peoplelikeus.html