PDA

View Full Version : I keep being dumped when I'm posting

2IC
12th Oct 2004, 06:41
I am frustrated at being dumped just after I have written a nice long post, carefully. As I select the "post now" or whatever button, I am told I'm not logged on.

If I remember these days, I select all and copy before hitting that button, that saves lots of grief and if I'm dumped 3 times in a row, it's not so bad.

It even happens when I send a pm. Any suggestions?

sprocket
12th Oct 2004, 08:45
Is your server timing you out after a certain period of apparent inactivity?

2IC
12th Oct 2004, 10:51
Thanks TCS and sprocket.

I checked my User CP settings, and the setting was "yes" to browse board with cookies. It was worth checking though.

I have had the same problem both from home and work. Both are DSL broadband and we don't tend to experience being dropped offline. Is that what you meant, sprocket? But I have wondered whether there is a time limit on composing a post. Also, I can have other things open that are not lost (I often have the weather page, updating the weather automatically open in one browser window).

I have also wondered whether there are more and less problematic ways of logging onto pprune. For example I have tried to work out whether being dropped happens more if I am have begun my visit to pprune by browsing without logging on, then decide to reply to something, and select "post reply" and although you go through the login windows, you then go straight to replying to the post, and it seems to happen often if I log on that way. It's not only that, though, as today it also happened when I went through the first opportunity logon.

sprocket
12th Oct 2004, 12:59
It has happened to me as well 21C, the forum reply function may have a time limit from when you hit the post button 'till you hit the 'submit' button.
Typing out a long reply on word and then cut/paste is one way of avoiding it.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Oct 2004, 13:22
2IC,

I have lost more posts than I like to think about in all the different forums I post in. This is not a solution but I am in the habit of always highlighting my entire post and hitting CTRL + C, then I hit the Preview Button, if that works, then I post it.

That way, if it fails to post, you can go back a page and my post should still be loaded in the Preview Screen, if that for some reason does not work, sometimes it does not, I still have it copied from hitting CTRL + C so I can go to the post window and hit CRTL + V and paste it, and try to post it again.

Trust me, in the long run, your keyboard will last longer, since you will not be hitting it with both fists as often. :eek:

Take Care,

Richard