PDA

View Full Version : Do's and Don'ts From a Computer Geek

WSAI
12th Oct 2004, 06:09
As a webmaster, I qualify as a computer geek with eye lashes.
Ok.. here are some rules of thumb.
#1 Use a Firewall....
There are free versions available. Zone Alarm is an example.
A firewall is important to keep people from hacking into your computer while you are connected on line.

#2 Use a Virus detection program.. There are free versions available Avast is an example. This will keep an eye on your computer and alert you if you have a virus.

Disable the preview pane in your Outlook express. Using the preview pane in the fastest way to get a virus.
To disable the preview pane of outlook express go to VIEW ->LAYOUT->and unclick show preview pane.

#4 If you suspect that a message in your Outlook Express inbox is a phony or if you wish to view it without opening it and possibly downloading a virus...

Click on the message ONCE so it does not open but is highlighted. Right click on the message and a 2nd box will open. Scroll down to properties and click
another box will open.. click the details tab and you will find a message source button at the bottom.
You will see something like this:
X-Apparently-To: [email protected] via
(MY EMAIL OR YOUR EMAIL.. THIS IS TO WHOM THE MSG WAS SENT)
216.136.174.208; Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:52:50 -0700
This is the originating IP address
Return-Path: <[email protected]>This is the email address of the person who really sent it

OK.. now this is where it gets fun...
Go to the WHO IS directory...
http://www.networksolutions.com/en_US/whois/index.jhtml

Put the above IP in the box and click IP address..
You now have their information or who to contact for SPAM.

Here try it on me
Put ...
in the box and click IP address, you will see that my email is hosted through Yahoo. Now if I were to Spam you.. all you would have to do is contact Yahoo and give them my email and IP address.
Cool Huh..
I think it is but then again I write code all day. Well that is when I am not skydiving and flying...
:hmm: