PDA

View Full Version : Landing areas

cuthbeg
11th Oct 2004, 11:47
I hope that this is the correct forum to ask this question

I am currently planning an emergency test for a power station and am looking for brief info on what size of landing area an air ambulance would require to land in before exavcuating out casualties.

The info I require :-

Size and type of landing area required

How close to the casualty in ideal circumstances

How far away from power lines both live (440Kv) and inactive

I realise that its a strange request but happy to provide more details via PM

Thomas coupling
11th Oct 2004, 12:35
2 x the rotor diameter for daytime landings and 3 x rotor diameter for night. This is the actual size of the touchdown point. Surface to be contaminant free (loose articles, debris etc) and firm and level (tarmac, grass, NOT gravel!!!).
The surrounding area out to as far as possible, should be free from main obstructions such as buildings power cables, masts etc.
[Or atleast a swathe of area predominently into the prevailing wind direction]. If you can afford it, the area needs to be lit for night ops and a wind sock would be nice too!
Presumably the casualty will be brought to the helo, so proximity to patient is not an issue?

Distance from 440Kv cables. We operate out of a site with 132 Kv cables and have been told by Manweb that the physical distance should be no nearer than 50' :ooh: :ooh: (which I think is blo**y small. For permanent residence in the vicinity of these cables, no closer than 180m due to ionisation of the atmosphere!

cuthbeg
11th Oct 2004, 13:04
Thats perfect, gives me something to work on for the exercise.

Thanks for your help

sycamore
11th Oct 2004, 13:37
Try ; www.bhab.flyer.co.uk; that will give you all the info on setting up sites.

JimL
11th Oct 2004, 14:23
I would agree with sycamore that a visit to the BHAB site is a good first port of call. In case you are tempted by Thomas coupling's advice, you should be aware that it is not quite correct; the dimensions for a HEMS site is contained below as is the correct definition of 'D'. At the bottom of this post is the guidance provided for operators to be used when selecting a site for a heliport.

As this is a premeditated use of a heliport, it would be difficult to argue that it constitutes a HEMS site (which is more normally an accident site)

IEM to Appendix 1 to JAR-OPS 3.005(d), sub-paragraph (c)(2)(i)(C) HEMS operating site
See Appendix 1 to JAR-OPS 3.005(d) sub-paragraph (c)(2)(i)(C)

When selecting a HEMS operating site it should have a minimum dimension of at least 2D. For night operations, unsurveyed HEMS operating sites should have dimensions of at least 4D in length and 2D in width.
The definition of D is contained in the HEMS appendix and is:

JAR-OPS 3.005(d)(a) Terminology

(1) D. The largest dimension of the helicopter when the rotors are turning.
The text below is advice produced for operators:

AMC No 1 to OPS 3.220
Authorisation of Heliports by the operator
See JAR-OPS 3.2201 When defining sites for use as heliports (including infrequent or temporary heliports) for the type(s) of helicopter(s) and operation(s) concerned, an operator should take account of the following:

2 An adequate site is a site which the operator considers to be satisfactory, taking account of the applicable performance requirements and site characteristics (guidance on standards and criteria are contained in ICAO Annex 14 Volume 2 and in the ICAO ‘Heliport Manual’ (Doc 9261-AN/903)).

3 The operator should have in place a procedure for the survey of sites by a competent person. Such a procedure should take account for possible changes to the site characteristics which may have taken place since last surveyed.

4 Sites which are pre-surveyed should be specifically authorised in the operator’s Operations Manual. The Operations Manual should contain diagrams or/and ground and aerial photographs, and depiction (pictorial) and description of:

a. The overall dimensions of the site;

b. Location and height of relevant obstacles to approach and take-off profiles, and in the manoevring area;

c. Approach and take-off flight paths;

d. Surface condition (blowing dust/snow/sand);

e. Helicopter types authorised with reference to performance requirements;

f. Provision of control of third parties on the ground (if applicable);

g. Procedure for activating site with land owner or controlling authority;

h. Other useful information, for example appropriate ATS agency and frequency;

j. Lighting (if applicable);

5 For sites which are not pre-surveyed, the Operator should have in place a procedure which enables the pilot to make, from the air, a judgment on the suitability of a site. Items (a) to (f) inclusive in (4) above should be considered.

Thomas coupling
11th Oct 2004, 14:34
JimL: cut the guy some slack.
(a) He isn't an aviator. So dont confuse him with JAR Ops3!
(b) It isnt a designated HEMS site, simply somewhere for casualty evacuation.
(c ) Which HEMS unit do you know of that does HEMS at night in Scotland?
It's far easier for ALL concerned, including the owner of the land, to treat this as an ad-hoc landing site for day or night Ops. All he has to do is clear some suitable land to accomodate the biggest helo that operates in those parts that 'may' do a casualty evac.

You don't work for the CAA do you in the 'trees' department???

JimL
11th Oct 2004, 14:52
Thomas:

The fact that he is not an aviator (if that is correct) is more reason for him to seek advice and for it not to be too casual - hence the advice by sycamore for him to visit the BHAB site.

I am not quite sure why you are averse to the correct information being given even if it does comes from JAR-OPS 3 - after all it was not written on the spur of the moment.

It was also in my mind that your post needed some comment/correction - however, I am sorry if it has caused you some offence!

MightyGem
11th Oct 2004, 19:44
jimL, I think the scenario in this case is "Oh ****, we've had an accident and need the air ambulance. Where can it land" rather than "Right, we've been having serious accidents every week for a while, so it might be a good idea to set up a permanent helipad for the air ambulance", so TC's answer is probably the right one.

SilsoeSid
12th Oct 2004, 08:51
Going back to the original post;
"I am currently planning an emergency test for a power station ...."
and then later;
"Thats perfect, gives me something to work on for the exercise."

As this is a pre planned exercise, I think it fair to say this is not going to be an 'Ad-Hoc' landing.

Thomas coupling
12th Oct 2004, 10:20
JimL: no offence taken. Your reference was correct and for a formal application for a dedicated landing site - bang on.
What concerns me sometimes is that bureaucracy can stiffle an action plan like this. Which does nothing for promoting heli ops in this country. Anyone who wants helos as part of their infrastructure gets my support all the way. We dont want to frighten them off, on the other hand we dont want them going down the wrong road either. I'd hoped my 'offering' was somewhere in the middle.
What I suggested is legal and practical for what he wants to do, it is also very very cost effective.
No doubt SS will comment again :8

sycamore
12th Oct 2004, 15:31
Cuthbeg, I think you may have had a dyslexic keyboard in your first post, as you`ll also need a big JCB if you are excavating casualties !! If you already know what type of helo will be used,work on it`s dimensions; if you don`t know, it would be useful to work your site size around the largest.ie S-61/S-King, or if military may be involved , possibly even a Chinook; that will leave you with a severe downwash problem, so make sure any portaloos are well dug-in!!! Otherwise, the bigger , the better, for any HLS.Syc.

cuthbeg
18th Oct 2004, 07:55
Thanks for all the replies.

Just and update as I said Im planning an emergency test at a power station in which the emergency services will be involved, the only omission was air ambulance.

I surveyed the site last week and have found (what I think) is a suitable site as per the specs on the replies. A grass football field approx 150 m x 60 m with no cables overhead or around it but it has trees on 3 sides but can see no interference there. For the purpose of the exercise this will be all that can be provided.

You are correct that this will be an ad hoc landing area as, luckily we do not have accidents or incidents which require this facility on a regular basis, but I should say that I will be recommending in the report that there should be a detailed survey performed for more suitable landing area for helicopters at the site for these rare occurences, maybe the football field is the place, I dont know but its something that has to be considered.

Again thanks to all for taking the time and effort to reply