PDA

View Full Version : "Co-Pilot" ATPL

Ninj43
10th Oct 2004, 18:25
Hi all,

Not sure if it is a red herring as a search uncovers nothing, but was speaking to a colleague the other day and he mentioned reading something in Flight about a new ATPL to allow Co-Pilot duties only but with dramatically fewer hours than the current ATPL.

Can anyone elaborate ?

Thanks & Rgds

N|nj

BEagle
10th Oct 2004, 18:28
The appalling 'MPL' licence proposal....

Some way off yet - and hopefully EASA will $hitcan the idea!

Ninj43
10th Oct 2004, 18:30
Apols, 'APL' ?

Thanks

N|nj

Vee One...Rotate
10th Oct 2004, 18:37
Seems like a bit of a silly idea to me. Not sure how you'd define "co-pilot duties". One of the reasons we have multi-crew a/c is redundancy - if one pilot becomes completely incapacitated, the other is qualified enough (at least on paper) to handle things. The idea of having a disparity between the training (NOT experience) received by each crew member seems like a bad idea to me.

Just my 2p.

V1R

Cabotage Kid
10th Oct 2004, 19:28
The multi pilot only IR already exists. What doesn't exist is a training programme especially for multi-pilot. That is the proposal, the programme, not the license. And it is multi-pilot not co-pilot.

Obviously it will involve training in all aspects of multi-pilot ops. Not sure it is essentially a bad thing as it means that any form of single pilot career is out of bounds. It will be extortionately expensive for the self-funded but much cheaper for the likes of BA and their sponsorship style schemes who have all the sims available for which they are aleady paying for.

Genghis the Engineer
10th Oct 2004, 19:47
This has been talked about around the bazaars for a few years. Basically the airlines are saying they don't particularly need pilots with hundreds of hours on PA28s and a little bit of multi experience, they want people qualified to slot into the right hand seat of a multi-crew jet. In affect an ATPL "Co-pilots licence" with a very different emphasis to the current licencing arrangement.

Presumably if enough of the big airlines want it, it'll happen. How far it's got - I've no idea, since I don't operate professionally in the airline world, I just sit on a few committees with "Big Airlines" training captains.

G