PDA

View Full Version : Long Forgotten Password

Le Pen
10th Oct 2004, 15:08
Hi Chaps,

I'm running windows XP pro.

When I click on Internet Explorer the pop up that asks for my password has it already filled in. The little "remember password" box is checked. So, no suprise there.

Now, my kids are at about that age where they are using the pc and playing with my settings. I have a dread that they could well erase the password. This would be a disaster as I have long forgotten the password.

Is there somewhere, other than the ISP, that I can gey the password from the pc??

thanks in advance

LP

ZH875
10th Oct 2004, 17:17
Try 'Snadboys Revelation' available from www.snadboy.com. It is free and does exactly what it says on the tin.

Memetic
12th Oct 2004, 23:10
Once you have the password why not set up a separate log in for the kids with restricted access?

It may save you a lot of trouble in the long run!

joe2812
13th Oct 2004, 15:54
Windows allows you to store the different user names and passwords you use to access resources on a network, another computer, or the Internet in one place: Stored User Names and Passwords.

The steps to perform this task differ depending on whether your computer is a member of a network domain or is part of a workgroup (or is a stand-alone computer).

My computer is on a domain

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Open User Accounts in Control Panel.
On the Advanced tab, in Passwords and .NET Passports, click Manage Passwords.
You can now add a user name and password you use to access a resource, or edit or remove an existing entry.

My computer is not on a domain

The steps to perform this task differ depending on the type of user account you have.

If you have a computer administrator account

[list=1]
Open 'User Accounts' in Control Panel
Click your account name
Under 'Related Tasks' locasted on the left side of the window, click 'Manage my network passwords'
[/list=1]

And that will bring up your passwords (well it does for me also on XP Pro!)