PDA

View Full Version : random restarts...

TIMTS
10th Oct 2004, 14:35
Hi.

I am running a P4 3Gig pc on an Asus p4r8-v deluxe mobo. 512mb ram. Win Xp Home.

The pc is restarting at random intervals without any input from my side. I have reformatted, flashed the bios, changed the ram, tried two different vid cards, checked the temperature of the system (45-55 degrees), but nothing helps.

I have a 400w power supply.

Any ideas? It is getting mighty frustrating.

Thanks!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Oct 2004, 14:51
TIMTS,

It would help to have the full specs on your comp including all AGP and PCI Cards.

As for the 400W Power Supply, please give the amps on the 3.3v, 5v, and 12v RAILs, also include the Max Combined Wattage of the 3.3v + 5v RAILs. (What brand is the PS?)

Then when you mounted the Heatsink, make sure it is mounted correctly:

http://www.naples-air-center.com/DAoC/heatsink.jpg

and tell us what kind of Thermal Grease you used when you mounted the Heatsink.

Take Care,

Richard

spork
10th Oct 2004, 22:12
I've seen this problem where too much thermal grease has been applied. There's the oblong shape of the chip, which is where the grease should be. Around the oblong, there's a few metal contacts which must not be covered in the grease. I've found this more and more lately when diagnosing weird faults. I think it's because users are becoming more conscious of heat affecting their PC.

The only other suggestion I have is faulty memory. Can you borrow memory to try as a substitute?