PDA

View Full Version : sponsorship ages

harri1888
7th Oct 2004, 10:49
hi everyone, i'm a 1st year aeronautical engineering student at glasgow university and i'm planning on getting my JAR PPL in november (can't wait :D )

my dream career like many people is to become a pilot for a commercial airline some day.

unfortunately at the moment im only 16 :ugh: and the youngest i have heard of airlines sponsoring people is 18.

does anyone know any companies that would offer sponsorship before then?

also if not does anyone know what i should do up until the time i am able to apply for sponsorship (ie. any experiences they want people to have that i could perhaps take part in just now)

Thanks for your time, any help is much appreciated. :ok:

Mooneyboy
7th Oct 2004, 14:50
I was pretty much the same situation as you. Hopefully I will be starting the ATPL in November so I've tried to find out similar sort of stuff. I think it would be very unlikely if anyone which is an airline would sponsor under the age of 18. It would be too much of a risk since you do mature and become more confident with age. CTC start at 19 and Flybe only want youngest applicants at 20. It might be worth looking at the Air League and the RAF but these won't get you a position into an airline but may help with the hours building.

In the meantime your degree will help and also getting your PPL. Once you've got it make sure that the hours you build up don't get you into bad habits. Do PFL's look over your PPL books and make sure you don't just do local flights. Obviously don't do a planned trip to Malta or anything but do flights which will get you used to busy airspace and improve radio skills.

Also try to do something which involves working in a team such as a debating society or the RAF CCF. Most sponsorships that I've applied to all want you to express some experience that you had in a team situation. Lastly make sure you're medically fit and it might be worth ( although at £450) getting a 1st class medical from Gatwick to make sure you don't have a shocker after spending a bit of money.

Hope this helps.

Mooneyboy;)

R T Jones
7th Oct 2004, 19:33
Your only 16 and at Uni?