PDA

View Full Version : AU to get right to fly to Mauritious

missleadfoot
7th Oct 2004, 09:41
I have just read that Mauritious have approved rights for airlines from Australia and India to fly there. This hasn't been allowed for a very long time. This could be a huge market as it's a very affordable country to go to and an alternative to the South Pacific. Curently only Air Mauritious fly to Australia but could this be an opening for AO or QF. Is there a market for this destination? Why has Australia not been able to fly there in the past? Why were Australia and India restricted from that country? This comes from the International Herald Tribune.

Byjingo
7th Oct 2004, 12:03
Any airline in Australia could fly to Mauritius if they wanted as it's a reciprocal rights deal.
I'm sure QF would have looked at it and found the agrivation of dealing with the powers over there not worth the small rewards, if any as Air Mauritius cope with the required traffic.

The market is very small and the destination not overly appealing, the hotels are very good but overpriced.As a tourist or expat the costs are high and word is the government is about to announce a 25% devaluation of the Mauritian Ruppee which has been on the decline for years.
I noticed in their latest ad in FI that they quoted thier salary in Euro's, that's very misleading as all staff inc pilots are paid in Mauritian Rupees.
No matter what you may hear their is NO gaurantee of progression within the company or to a command slot.
Their are a LOT of experienced f/o's on all fleets that have been waiting for a command for YEARS.

Buster Hyman
7th Oct 2004, 22:06
If the market was developed, and if QF were interested, I think it'd be a sweet run for AO. Nice little run for the 763's.

Bankstown
8th Oct 2004, 06:26
Qantas used to fly there....didn't a Connie run off the runway there?

gaunty
8th Oct 2004, 06:47
They did and Mauritius was a fuel stop across the Indian Ocean, my best mate at schools dad was on board, it was in the old "P" chart days and if I recall correctly was the result of an engine failure on take off, no fatals though.

The other island fuel stop in those days was Cocos.

qfcabin
9th Oct 2004, 07:08
MRU was indeed a fuel stop..on the way to Joburg...and also one of the best fun slip ports on the route. Some great times and stories of the early morning takeoffs over the hotel..from AF , (LH I think also) and QF.