PDA

View Full Version : Canadian sailor dies

wrenchbender
6th Oct 2004, 23:21
I know this isn't aviation related, but the CBC is reporting now that one of the Canadian submariners that was injured in the fire off the Irish coast has now died.

What kind of scrap did the Royal Navy sell us?

Blacksheep
7th Oct 2004, 04:56
This (http://www.fact-index.com/u/up/upholder_class_submarine.html) kind of scrap. With railway engines that couldn't start or stop rapidly and an electric motor that blew up if they tried a 'crash' stop, they effectively had no brakes.

HMS Upholder was mothballed from 1993. The RN gave them up early to concentrate on nuclear powered submarines that could stop and go as they pleased.

matkat
7th Oct 2004, 09:41
More of a question is why did You buy it?

WJman
8th Oct 2004, 12:36
I saw an interview with an ex Admiral who said for the price we paid for the subs the could have bought new, nuclear powered state of the art subs from either Germany or Ausralia who apparently have a sub plant going. With what it has ended up costing us with repaira and all he said we could have built them ourselves at one of our shipyards. Very sad, the maritimes could have used the work. I think there must have been a lot of political pressure for this deal to through, and still more for us not to return these garbage heaps after so much truoble and a sailor's death so soon after delivery. I say send them back, take the loss and give our sailors equipment that won't kill them.

codpiece face
10th Oct 2004, 14:23
Next youll be buying our state of the art 45 year old nimrods, you canadians should be introduced to the british art of car boot sales, its in our blood to sell on complete junk.

bbbaldy
22nd Oct 2004, 13:18
I heard that some Irish trawlers that were in the vicinity of the Sub when it got into trouble tried to assist but were told by the royal navy to keep away.

22nd Oct 2004, 17:07
its in our blood to sell on complete junk

As will anyone, provided someone is willing to buy it.

Whenever I buy a second hand car, I always have it inspected by a motor mechanic before I hand over any money, and most people wouldn't dream of buying an aircraft without a thorough inspection.
Surely, the Canadian Government had these sub's inspected prior to signing the contract, and if not, they've got no one to blame but themselves.