PDA

View Full Version : Dell computers and memory

El lute
6th Oct 2004, 23:03
Beware!
Dell computers are very picky when it comes to memory upgrades. They will not take just anything, even if it is identical to the one you already have in your PC as I found out at my cost.
I could tell you were to find the correct modules, but don't know if this would not be against forum rules.
If you need more info PM me.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Oct 2004, 23:31
El lute,

I have put all kinds of different RAM in Dell computers along with many other Dead End Computer Maker's machines.

Dell uses stripped down Motherboards with some features to keep you from putting the motherboard in non Dell cases and from being able to change to a non Dell Power Supply, but that is about it.

If you told us which Motherboard is in your Dell, we could tell you which RAM to get.

Take Care,

Richard

Evo
7th Oct 2004, 05:44
I've had problems with generic memory in a Dell Dimension 2400 - on paper it was the right stuff, but the motherboard just wouldn't accept it. In the end I got the recommended memory from crucial.com (who, FWIW, I think are very good). Cost a few pounds more, and worked fine - although I have no idea why. The spec sheets were identical :confused:

El lute
7th Oct 2004, 13:46
Evo,
Exactly my problem! (Domension 4300). Also got a new module from crucial now and it works just fine.

Richard,
Thanks for your offer but the problem is already solved.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Oct 2004, 15:23
El lute,

That is great news! :ok:

Take Care,

Richard