PDA

View Full Version : BA's Meal Choice, what Meal Choice?

Athena5
6th Oct 2004, 18:52
I've just returned from a vacation (see "vacation", I'm beginning to sound like an American already) in the States yesterday & I flew return with the world's favourite airline. On the way out on one of their 777's I got an adequate choice for dinner of a chicken or meat dish plus of course there was a vegetarian option for those who had requested it.

Returning on one of their 747-400's I decided early on to read the inflight magazine & saw where BA recommended light meals when flying in an aircrafts rarified atmosphere excluding redmeat. Of course roast beef was offered for the meal to eh back up this bit of sound advice but what surprised me was the only other option was a vegetarian cannelonni.

Now given that two of the three trips I took in the States had imposed flippin vegetarianism on me whether I liked it or not (I didn't) & that a fair portion of this had ended up being dumped discreetly in the nearest bin :yuk: when someone in the group wasn't roaring out to everyone & sundry embarassing the hell out of me "Hey H, did you not like your meal" :O, I was quite literally ready to eat a cow & had since avidly swore to forego the idea of me ever turning to vegetarianism forever! It didn't take too long for me to decide the roast beef would be the dish for us yum yum! :ok:

Imagine my surprise when the rather hunky (infact I could have ate him) :} but as always married (when the're good looking) :ugh: male!!! FA told me that they'd run out of roast beef & that I had to have the cannelonni. I looked at him with a mixture of aghast & horror & gave him the flithiest look I could muster. However he ignored me & unceremoniously dumped the cannelonni infront of me.

But he wasn't getting away with it that easily, oh no he wasn't!!! I called him back & told him "I'm not a vegetarian you know, is there anything else you can give me" (thinking of all the scrumptious meals those moneybags must have been digging into in first & business class :\ ) to which he replied in a take it or leave it, stuff it or starve kinda fashion "Well those who order special meals always get pasta" & promptly disappeared & repeated to numerous other pax that there was only one menu 'option'.

Not wanting to contribute to the latest airrage statistics I fumed quietly. Actually to be fair the cannelonni didn't taste too bad but as for that pathetic salad. Now forget about all this noveaux, minimilistic (cheapskating) cuisine, a salad does not constitute some varied pathetic leaves, a bit of grated carrot & a crummy tomato, when can we return to the real mixed salads of old?

BA, you will have to do better than that. Cattle class or not I paid enough for my ticket & I expected better service & variety of meals than that!!!

As for the Jehovas Witness in the queue for checking in preaching in to me, well that was a different matter. I listened politely but secretly hoped for anything I wouldn't be sitting beside her on the aircraft. I wasn't. Instead I was sat beside an elderly Chinese American lady & her lovely daughter. I related the Jehovahs Witness story & the daughter sensing I was about to come out with some very bitchy, imprudent, sarcastic comment said "wait till I stop you there, my mother is a Jehovahs Witness". Phew, stopped just in time! :uhoh:

Her mother said "Don't worry, I won't preach to you if you say you're not interested"
I said "I'm not interested".
It worked, that ended that, she never mentioned her religion for the whole flight. Whoever said diplomacy was the better option the're wrong. :E

B Sousa
6th Oct 2004, 20:52
I think folks are finally going to have to realize Airlines are just getting by financially. Travel is available, not to comfortable in all cases but its travel. THATS what you are paying for. They feed you and give you something to drink so you will stay off their A:mad:
I have learned that if I need to eat on a flight, I bring it with. If they serve something edible that will be nice but no longer expected.

Rollingthunder
6th Oct 2004, 22:40
Yup, I always take two bacon sandwiches and two litres of water with me, even when I'm in business class.

bealine
7th Oct 2004, 08:10
BA, you will have to do better than that. Cattle class or not I paid enough for my ticket & I expected better service & variety of meals than that!!!

Don't worry - from the BA staff point of view, our current meal offerings are an embarrassment too! However, our marketing department tell us 98.75% of our passengers are enthusiastic about the current fayre (and we tell 'em 99% of statistics are probably made up!!!).

Like you, Athena 5, I am carniverous and prefer to have meat choices. However, I do believe civilisation has given us a responsibility to ensure minimal suffering to animals and it's high time the world's big caterers took notice from Compassion in World Farming and purchased from reputable suppliers.

How proud I would be of my airline if we were able to state that all our eggs, meat and dairy products were free-range and sourced from ethical suppliers!

Xenia
7th Oct 2004, 08:52
Hi Athena5 :)
It gets even more difficult for us cabin crew ... the space on board is limited, so it is impossible to carry on board 1000 meals (to cover 2 services) to make everyone happy ... Space is an issue ... and money nevertheless is another, and also the waste in such case will be incredible.
We (cabin crew) would love to please everyone of our pax in every single flight, in every single class when it's meal time ... but it's never the case :hmm: Everytime we have problems with vegetarians who didn't get their meal, meal choice that puntually run over ... therefore no more choice and pax unhappy about it, pax who don't like this or that on the tray, pax who didn't get something, pax who are allergic or intollerant to something else, or have a medical condition and can't eat that (next time order a special meal!) ... And don't think things in first & business class are always better :hmm:
We try our best, honestly :O but sometimes it is just impossible for us, limited on a metal tube at over 32000 ft to do something about it ....
... As crew meals we don't have much choice neither (in the way that it is also impossible to please everyone taste, wishes and dietary needs) So my dear next time take your own sandwiches believe it or not ... Crew do the same!!! :ok:

twonky
7th Oct 2004, 09:15
Ciaio Bella

You never shared your sandwiches with me !!!!!
Twonky

Xenia
7th Oct 2004, 09:32
:eek: You are telling me JUST now you never enjoyed all that curry we had on board? :\

Athena5
7th Oct 2004, 18:33
Hi there

Thanks for your replies.

the space on board is limited, so it is impossible to carry on board 1000 meals (to cover 2 services) to make everyone happy
Interesting comment. Why I mentioned the type of aircraft I flew in was because I wondered had this contributed to the problem cause I couldn't help but notice their very different layout from what I could ascertain in the storage area. On the 777 which I gather carries alot less pax than the 747-400 there seem to be no problem storing three different menu options & due to me flittering around the aircraft at the time I gather I was one of the last to be served.

Yet the 747-400 couldn't manage to satisfactorily store two menu options & the powers that be managed to totally underestimate how many customers would go for the blatantly more obvious of the very limited choices leaving no doubt alot of disgruntled passengers.

I do believe civilisation has given us a responsibility to ensure minimal suffering to animals and it's high time the world's big caterers took notice from Compassion in World Farming and purchased from reputable suppliers.
Good point. Yes, me too and I would gladly pay more for my ticket to ensure this was the case.

davethelimey
8th Oct 2004, 12:12
Hi.

For God's sake.

Can you imagine the extra cost involved to an airline if they brought three different meal choices for each passenger? Can you also imagine the quantity of wasted food per passenger? The later some passengers get served, the fewer the meal options, it's a bit of a fact of life and it's not as though the purser can nip out to the shops to stock up on meals they're running a bit low on. Read the T&Cs on your ticket and you'll see that getting your choice of meal isn't guaranteed unless you're a vegetarian.

You also appear to be under the impression that BA is run by demi-Gods who can affect who stands next to you in the check-in queue. I imagine that the last thing the people you sat next to wanted to hear you bitch about Jehova's Witnesses but I don't see them posting here about the lunatic they got stuck next to on the flight.

Athena5
8th Oct 2004, 13:24
davethelimey

Calm down! The tone of your post is very rude & aggressive.

Can you imagine the extra cost involved to an airline if they brought three different meal choices for each passenger?
Infact to an extent on my flight over that's exactly what they did, two non vegetarian choices & vegetarian/special meals options for those who requested it. Also I was one of the last pax served on this flight & I had no problem getting either of the non vegetarian choices I requested.

On the return flight many got unrequested vegetarian i.e special meals whether they wanted them or not. Why the disparity? Is it any wonder I was surprised & no I normally enjoy airline food, am glad to get anything by that stage. Despite my disdain for vegetarian food I'm actually quite easy to please & wolf down almost anything put out infront of me.

Regarding your last post about the Jehovahs Witnesses, it was meant a bit tongue in cheek infact the whole thread is meant lightheartedly, not as seriously as you're taking it anyway. Of course I don't blame BA cause I was stuck in a queue listening to their rantings being shoved down my throat against my wishes, it would be irrational to do so. You're reading things that aren't there. Perhaps you're one I don't know. Judging by the exception you take I wouldn't be surprised but I am a blood donor & carry an organ donor card so personally I take exception to their views on this issue & their airy fairy, pie in the sky explanation on such a serious issue that affects vulnerable peoples survival & chances of life the other day held as much water as a paper sieve IMHO.

No the pax beside me didn't mind me bringing the subject up, just put my foot in it a little bit, that's all. We struck up a very good amiable relationship during the flight as I normally do with my fellow pax, can't see you doing the same somehow with your attitude & please refrain from your defamatory insulting remarks in future! :mad:

In every other way BA's service was exemplary! :D

Ozzy
8th Oct 2004, 13:58
The first airline to let pax select their meal from a menu when booking the ticket will win this game :) I guess it would also cut costs in terms of less wastage. Seems like a no brainer to me. Introduce it as a test when a customer is booking a flight over the airline's web site and there's no real extra operational expenses in terms of cost of goods of selling the ticket.

As I said, seems a no brainer to me. Oh, and the license to this idea can be acquired by the highest bidder contacting me on PM by the end of the day. (bealine are you reading this?:E)

Have a nice day :ok:

Ozzy

Athena5
8th Oct 2004, 14:42
Hi Ozzy

Nice to have your input and a very good point you raise there too, would keep everyone happy.

I was over in your posh part of the world (Saw Peter Falks house (Colombo) in fact, a hero of mine.) :D

Pity we couldn't have met up when I was there.

BTW Universal Studios was just fab. :ok:

PAXboy
8th Oct 2004, 14:50
Had I have been in Athena5's position, I would have spoken (very politely) with the CSD. The reason is simple, I cannot eat pasta - of any type. And I would not have been interested in being told 'tough luck'. It would not have been air rage but it would have been 'letter rage' when I got back. Not that that would have made much diff. :rolleyes:
--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Athena5
8th Oct 2004, 15:18
Sorry, what is a CSD?

I doubt Paxboy that anything you would have said would have made a draught bit of difference judging from the reception I got, the FA quite frankly couldn't care less. Suppose his attitude was I was only cattle freight so I could like it or lump it. Doubt a business or first class pax would have been treated with such indifference somehow.

As many of you may have gathered I'm a foodie, I actually look forward to my airline meal (when I'm on an airline that actually serves meals) much like to many of you drink is a big issue so what happened was a bit of a slap in the face. But as I said on this occasion I actually enjoyed my vegetarian fare, well it was edible anyway compared to some of the dogs dinner, every veg etc in the world thrown in together mush I was served up on my holidays. I just didn't enjoy the laissez faire, couldn't care less about you attitude. :rolleyes:

P.S. Why couldn't BA have just subtracted the number of pax who had ordered vegetarian/special meals from the total number of pax. Minus a few that would have given them a good idea how many pax would have gone for the one & only meat option they skintflintingly chose to offer?

take_up_slack
8th Oct 2004, 15:52
Suppose his attitude was I was only cattle freight so I could like it or lump it. Doubt a business or first class pax would have been treated with such indifference somehow.

Actually, I flew to LAX with AFR a few months ago and got no choice of meal not once but twice. Both meal services were done in the same order and by the time I was got to there was no choice left. The first time I was mildly irritated but the choice was OK. The second time was an offering of veal (I think) which I ate one mouthful of. I got the gallic shrug when I suggested that they could have tried to organise things that the people without choice last time got one the second time round.

Maybe if there are any cabin crew lurking you could explain why the meal service is always done in the same direction on any given flight, thus increasing the risk of the same passengers getting no meal choice more than once?

TUS

slim_slag
8th Oct 2004, 17:16
seem to remember BA had exceptional dining service in economy 20 years ago on 747s, so why blame the plane? BA is just not what it used to be.

Xenia
8th Oct 2004, 18:02
Meal service (as all the other services on board) are always done in the same way as we have to have standards. Can you immagine a bunch of cabin crew with a bunch of trolleys not knowing where to go? :confused:
May I suggest you to ask for the first rows ... but be aware some services, in some airlines start from the rear section.
Good luck

FormerFlyer
8th Oct 2004, 20:28
Seem to recall that American do front out, back home service - or something like that, so that sorta of situation can be reduced if not eliminated.

Also I recall travelling Wardair ex PIK to YYZ as a nipper and being asked how we wanted our steaks done - rare, medium or well.

Now that constitutes a form of good service I reckon.

cheers ;)

FF

christep
9th Oct 2004, 09:42
American Airlines do FEBO (Front Even Back Odd) based on the flight number.

Athena seems to live in a world where people always eat meat or never eat meat. That isn't the world I live in... many people are happy to eat meat but don't feel any requirement to do so in every meal (in much the same way as I am happy to eat, say, rice, but wouldn't want to in every meal). I guess I take the veggie option on planes about 30% of the time. Airlines aren't bad, in general, at predicting what the mix will be that people will select so they normally only load a very few more dishes in total than the number of passengers, but they do get it wrong occasionally.

The CSD is the Cabin Service Director - the senior cabin crew on BA flights.

PAXboy - I suggest that what you need to do is make a special meal request that corresponds to your unfortunate condition... perhaps "gluten-free" if that's what your problem is?

Some airlines still do ask how you would like your steak cooked, but you need to be in Frist Class.

And if you fly in First or Business on Singapore Airlines you can "Book the Cook" and preselect your main course.
(See http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/app/saa?hidHeaderAction=onHeaderMenuClick&hidTopicArea=BooktheCook&currentSite=global )

By the way, from BA's website, the list of different special meals available on 24hrs notice is:

Asian Vegetarian
Lacto Vegetarian
Vegan Vegetarian
Hindu
Moslem
Kosher
Baby
Childrens
Seafood
Bland
Diabetic
Fresh Fruit Plate
Gluten Free Meal
High Fibre Meal
Low Calorie
Low Cholesterol
Low Protein
Low Sodium
Low Purine
Non-Lactose

Surely there's something in there for most people?

Rollingthunder
9th Oct 2004, 11:17
It must be one of the longest-distance takeaway orders in history. A British Airways jet carrying Tony Blair back from his whirlwind diplomatic trip to Africa made a 1,450-mile round trip to stock up on prawn risotto, asparagus mousse and cheesecake.

The Boeing 777 flew from Addis Ababa to Nairobi and back while Mr Blair was holding talks in the Ethiopian capital to pick up a consignment of in-flight food ready for his return trip to London. Downing Street staff and press were happy with the hot dinners after they boarded the plane on Thursday, but others were not so sure.

Stephen Tindale, the executive director of Greenpeace and a former adviser to Labour, said: "He should have eaten Ethiopian food, sourced locally. The more we fly, the more people will die from climate change, and Africa is in the front line."

In fact, as Downing Street pointed out yesterday, the Prime Minister did not touch his three-course airline meal. "None of this food was eaten by the Prime Minister," a spokes-man said. "It was intended for the press party travelling with him. The Prime Minister and his party had eaten in Ethiopia before they got on the plane."

The menu included a choice of fresh fruit or asparagus mousse for starters, followed by fillet of beef, prawn risotto or pasta with ricotta for the main course. Passengers were then served cheesecake with fresh raspberries or cream followed by a trio of cheese with oatcakes and grapes. The food was washed down with champagne and a selection of wines, including a Meursault 2002.

A British Airways spokesman said that the flight to Nairobi had been scheduled because the airline had no catering contract in the Ethiopian capital and could not keep food on board during the Prime Minister's visit. He said: "We fly to Nairobi daily and we carried some food, so during our downtime in Addis we flew there to pick it up. It made sense and the food was good quality."

A Downing Street spokes-woman insisted it had not asked BA to fly to pick up supplies. She said: "At no point did Downing Street ask BA to do anything other than follow normal company procedures; quite the reverse, because it was made clear matters like this were a matter for the company."

Independent.

sans comment.

USA_flyer
9th Oct 2004, 12:39
I don't understand what people expect in the way of airline food these days. If you want good food, eat before you fly or take your own, or buy a business class ticket, it's that simple. I plan to start taking my on lunch on board, that way I can choose exactly what it is I want to eat.

Globaliser
9th Oct 2004, 13:23
Athena5: On the return flight many got unrequested vegetarian i.e special meals whether they wanted them or not. Why the disparity?I'm afraid I also don't understand this. Why do you describe that cannelloni dish as a "special meal" just because it had no meat? It seems to me to have been one of two perfectly good alternatives for anyone.

The business of predicting how many pax are going to want each meal type is as unexact now as it was when choices were first introduced into airline catering. Some flights it works, some flights it doesn't. The best ways of ensuring that you get the choice you want are to sit at the forward and aft ends of the cabin, which is greatly assisted by acquiring some frequent flyer status. On BA, buying a W class seat helps enormously too.

PAXboy
10th Oct 2004, 18:03
Thanks christep for idea about Gluten Free, I might try that, even though Gluten is not the problem. But this is not the medical forum!

Reminds of a time when I was in VS Upper and found all three food selections to be no good for me. One had a lot of spice, one was pasta and I cannot recal the third. They went and got me a meal from Economy ... which was very pleasant. They took the trouble to turn it out of the plastic onto the pre-warmed china plate. :)

Hmmm, does this mean that I'm not truly an Upper Class sort of PAX and ought to make my way back to where I belong?? :sad:

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

zed3
10th Oct 2004, 19:30
Paxboy.....no sir, as an Upper Class pax , that's called service and style , although I haven't yet tried the Virgin experience that's only what one should expect for the price ..... ducks for inbound flak!

jerrystinger
10th Oct 2004, 21:15
I can't help but mention you really do get what you pay for Athena5! You may still be a customer, but you pay pennies and you are only entitled to peanuts!

Xenia
11th Oct 2004, 10:24
Play the ball and not the player ...

PAXboy
11th Oct 2004, 13:22
I don't like peanuts. Must be why I'm broke, as I have to pay more for everything. :confused:

--------------------

B Sousa
11th Oct 2004, 14:00
I must be getting old. I remember when one could actually get past a trolley in the aisle, and could get out of a window seat without disturbing the other people.
Food also did not come in plastic containers.
Life moves on, things change.

PAXboy
11th Oct 2004, 19:44
Ahhh, Sousa, you've been looking at those things in museums again haven't you?? I said that it would only upset you. OK, grandad, tell us about it again ... :=

--------------------

radeng
12th Oct 2004, 09:48
Last week, turned up at LHR to go to NCE. Previously booked aisle seat not there, previously booked special meal not there. Check in very apologetic, 2 hours later get on plane and lo and behold! in 2 hours, BA had managed to get the special meal organised.

Not bad going...........pity on the return, the delay was over 2 hours because of tech problems. Cabin crew said it was delayed coming off maintenance. Another case of 'Engineers Want Spares' computer problems?

Athena5
12th Oct 2004, 10:00
Back into the fray, excommunicado till now. Thanks for all your replies. Did someone mention peanuts, I love peanuts. ;)

I thought vegetarian meals were regarded as special meals. If I ring up to book a flight they always ask do I have any special meal requirements such as vegetarianism. I always say no! Yes I was reared in a land where the staple fare was meat, spuds & veg, I find it hard to shake a lifetime of habit.

That menu of Rollingthunder made my mouth water, actually I think one of the options is what I got i.e. cannelonni with ricotta, there you do I've something in common with the British PM & his entourage getting VIP food like that LOL. :O

groundbum
12th Oct 2004, 10:48
the earlier post about choosing from a menu when booking over the web made me think.

Why not have large glass door chillers at checkin, with all the hot meal choices, and you put your sticker with your seat number it on the tray you want, which is then loaded onto the plane to be heated and served!?

That way far less waste, as once the flight has departed all the leftovers can be wheeled to the next gate, etc and replenished during the day. No wastage due to no-shows etc.

I saw this at Chicago where there was a deli for the entire airbridge, you showed your boarding card and then made your own deli bag to carry onboard. Works for cold food,so extend it for hot food.

ta-da!

Globaliser
12th Oct 2004, 15:07
Athena5: I thought vegetarian meals were regarded as special meals.It's perfectly acceptable to offer a meal with no meat to anyone who's not asked for a special meal. If you need a meal with no meat, you can ask for a special meal accordingly. But there's nothing special about a meal with no meat in itself - IIRC, the last times I flew VS there was always a generally=available meal option with no meat in it.groundbum: I saw this at Chicago where there was a deli for the entire airbridge, you showed your boarding card and then made your own deli bag to carry onboard. Works for cold food,so extend it for hot food.If the quality's anything like the stuff in the deli bags that are sitting around at the top of the jetway for you to pick up and carry on yourself, I'm going early to eat at the airport, thanks.

ExSimGuy
28th May 2005, 19:30
take your own sandwiches believe it or not ... Crew do the same!!!
A member of my family assures me that the CC get spare F class meals - but then she wasn't with BA ;)

services, in some airlines start from the rear section
(another post from me, as I\'ve just read all 3 pages!)
I can never understand why the aircraft takes off, nose-up, and the hosties push a heavy cart full of booze all the way UP the slope to start the drinks run from the front? Much easier to start serving from the back, and lighten the cart as they go! (especially if I\'m in the back row;) )

Special meals - suggestion; "lots of bloody red meat"!

"Rare Beef, spuds and veg" - yes - but who\'s going to introduce it? (and get the Frequent Flyer membership!)

"Up Front" - had some great meals with US in "Envoy" (Business), choice of good food, Cali wines, superb service. Pity they\'re not "linked" with GF who I travel with in the Mid-East! (AA - not so impressed, but then I travel US mostly for Trans-At and have only tried them twice!)

Yes, you "pays for what you get" (or gets what you pays for) but when captive for some 10 hours (check-in, flight, immigration and collecting baggage) it\'s surely a duty (or at least a marketing opportunity!) for the airline to see that you don\'t get hunger pangs, in addition to terminal boredom (\'cos the airport bookshop only has books you\'ve read before and the self-congratualtory "in-flight mags" are so crass!)

3rd pint- end of rant - feeling better!

(but never mind the "Fringe Religeous Person" - just don\'t sit me next to the fat busterd with elbows that knock my teeth out during the meals - or behind the s0d who insists on fully reclining his seat (in Y) as soon as the meals come out:mad: ) Some peeps can be total @soles (did I say "end of rant"?)

Globaliser
28th May 2005, 20:20
ExSimGuy: I can never understand why the aircraft takes off, nose-up, and the hosties push a heavy cart full of booze all the way UP the slope to start the drinks run from the front? Much easier to start serving from the back, and lighten the cart as they go! Can't speak for all airlines, but one reason in respect of some of them is that their better customers tend to be at the front of the cabin. I get the benefit of this from QF, who do their utmost to put their more frequent flyers in the first half a dozen rows or so.

sixmilehighclub
28th May 2005, 22:13
The reason is simple, I cannot eat pasta - of any type. And I would not have been interested in being told 'tough luck'. It would not have been air rage but it would have been 'letter rage' when I got back.

If you have an intolerance to some foods, and dont have a crystal ball which enables you to see what will be served to you on the day, the solution is simple. Do on a smaller scale what Ozzy is suggesting: Order your meal in advance!!!!!!!

Wheat free
Gluten Free
Lactose free
Vegan
Vegetarian
Asian Vegetarian
Low fat
Low calorie
seafood meal
diabetic meal
low purin meal
etc
etc
etc.....

Athena5, you were unlucky, most crew would endeavor to put together a picnic of something more suitable, some would even swap the pasta dish for their own meal. If the FA was so good looking, couldn't you have eaten him?? :E

:ok:

10secondsurvey
28th May 2005, 23:26
You know, as a punter, who often goes economy (very often) I am getting seriously hacked off with this daft idea circulating that if you fly economy, you only got a cheap ticket, and so don't deserve good food (any food!), or decent treatment.

Look folks, my company travel policy is economy all the time every time (no matter how far), and sometimes flying longhaul at short notice the tickets are NOT CHEAP, often full fare/changeable/refundable.

Also daft is the notion of bringing your own food. Whilst this may be just dandy for short single flights, say AMS-LHR or such like, when you are making multiple international connections of say three or four flights over a 20 hour flying period it just doesn't work. Getting enough water to drink is hard enough.

Whilst some people book well in advance and do get very cheap economy tickets, frequent flyers like myself are often paying full fare economy. So, can we put an end to this notion that economy class is ****ty person class.

What amazes me, is that some of the folks on this website who spew this guff, actually work for airlines (allegedly).

Bumz_Rush
29th May 2005, 19:03
What would the airlines view be of a KFC take-away......a good deal for the new Monarch service from Luton... (pax boy....comments please...)...or any other airline...

On a similar tack...the buy it on board meals from Monarch x Luton, are quite qood value £5, for a three course meal, plus three or four teas, or coffee.... Not yet tried the Breakfasts...are these as good as the free breakfasts...????

Omaha
30th May 2005, 12:15
My Gawd, this thread has sure been revived!
Athena5, you were unlucky, most crew would endeavor to put together a picnic of something more suitable, some would even swap the pasta dish for their own meal.
I think there were alot of fellow pax in the same situation as me, it would have taken alot of crew meals to cover them all.

If the FA was so good looking, couldn't you have eaten him??
I wish I could have mate & I dearly wanted too but unfortunately I haven't quite got to the stage of cannabilism & he wore that wedding ring like a huge deterrant to ward off errant pax like me. :\

apaddyinuk
30th May 2005, 14:25
Some people i swear!!!
Athena....did it ever dawn on you that YOU WERE RUDE to the FA by giving him a filthy look???? I personally wouldnt entertain you if I was being treated with such disdain over a bleedin pasta!Its not the crews fault to just be polite about it! Remember the starving children in africa who dont have the choice of pasta or beef and also, people who cliam that the airlines dont care about them because they are sitting in"cattle class" are as bad as people who shout "racist" whenever they dont get something they want!!!

jerrystinger
31st May 2005, 08:51
10secondsurvey - I understand your point, but the idea of serving passenger's individual needs in economy really is impractical and borders on daft. Economy class is just that, "economy". At the end of the day I know that an airline is NOT obliged to give you anything. Working on that principle, anything you do get surely is a bonus.

As a frequent flyer I do not hassle the crew as I'm intelligent enough to realise that :-
a) the crew can only serve what the management have decided is appropriate to that class of travel and demanding more is futile,
b) it is impossible to make everyone happy and choice of meals will inevitably run out, as they do in restaurants (the beefs off the menu, I'm afraid!) and
c) relying on your economy ticket to provide your meal requirements for however many sectors you do is asking for trouble!

Try travelling from New York - Los Angeles (5+hrs) in economy on a US carrier where you will see how European carriers really are generous!

Wot No Engines
31st May 2005, 11:33
6 mile,

I take your point, but the moment you have a problem with 2 categories, there is NO palatable choice available.

I gave up requesting a special years ago and take my chances, having packed my own food just in case.

Omaha
31st May 2005, 12:06
Try travelling from New York - Los Angeles (5+hrs) in economy on a US carrier where you will see how European carriers really are generous!
I have travelled from LHR to Seattle via Chicago return in economy with UAL & I found them grand culinary wise. :confused:

emdeeray
31st May 2005, 16:19
Surely even the most brain-dead idiot can see that it's completely impractical, logistically and economically, to carry one of each type of meal for every passenger? Yes, it sucks when you don't get what you want but a meal without some flesh is not going to kill you. If you're that worried, arrange a special meal beforehand for no cost or bring food that you know you will like so you don't have to spend the rest of the time with a rumbling stomach and a face like a slapped arse.

To whoever would have had a hissy fit because they don't eat pasta: why not order a gluten-free (or whatever one it is) meal that is guarenteed to meet your dietary requirements?

To whoever suggested putting stickers on hot meals in cabinets at check-in: are you for real? Come on. Think of the logistics of this and what the food would be like when you actually get it. I'd rather go hungry than eat something that's been sat around for hours.

Update: sorry; this is a bit strong and wasn't meant as a personal insult to the OP. I'm just frustrated by people who accept the conditions of getting something cheap (ie, that they might not get their preferred meal in an economy seat) and then complain/"give filthy looks" to staff who have no control over the situation when it does happen. As someone else mentioned, there's more to worry about in the world.

Nobend
31st May 2005, 21:10
Yep you are so right about there's more to worry about in this world....... I've just been demoted from Platinum Elite to Gold Elite with KLM :{

10secondsurvey
1st Jun 2005, 02:22
Jerrystinger,

Funny how things get twisted. I didn't suggest that airlines should provide multiple choices for every single passenger, which I think was the point of the original poster. I actually don't necessarily agree with that notion.

The point I was making was I'm fed up with people who seem to be extremely happy to put up with ****, and go about telling everyone they should be jolly grateful to get a seat never mind a meal. Trying to persuade us all that really airlines are very good and awfully generous, and why don't we all just smile and get on with it, stiff upper lip, blah blah blah etcetc..

And yes, in economy I should be able in longhaul to get a decent bit of food (jeez, they seem to find the SPACE and TIME for bucketloads of overly priced duty free junk), and if they want to bump it on to the ticket price, I don't care, what's 10-20 quid on a £1200 ticket??. When I'm flitting about from hotel to hotel and country to country, I really don't have time to go shopping to make up some bacon sarnies etc... as some people seem to suggest.

Look you've got a big meeting in the morning in a foreign town, meeting ends late, head to airport, get to check in just in time, finally clear security and get to the gate for boarding with a 12 hour flight...oh hang on while I nip to Tescos...I thinketh not!

Sarnies might work for short flights, but not long haul. Sarnies also don't work for multiple shorter flights, with short connecting times. Trust me.

Whilst I'm working it's important, whilst on holiday, it isn't. But airlines should realise people like me fly much more when working. Sometimes, with a hectic schedule, it is an absolute unadulterated joy to get some nosh and something to drink on a flight, along with some rest.

If you really believe that ticket prices will go down if airlines don't offer food, then you don't understand business. Why would an airline bother, as it would not improve profitability, as ticket prices would go down, along with the food costs.

Anyone who really believes that if an airline stops providing food the tickets will be cheaper, needs their head read.

And just because some people think american carriers are poor (I think some of them are very good), doesn't mean that EU carriers should provide awful service.

I'm getting off the soapbox now. And yes, I do feel much better.

reynoldsno1
1st Jun 2005, 04:05
Flew J class recently with a well-known Far East carrier, and turned a meal down as I just wasn't hungry - now that did cause consternation amongst the CC - :hmm:

Alpha Leader
1st Jun 2005, 09:26
Leaving aside Athena5's specific problems with BA, I find airlines have adopted very strange catering strategies, some bordering on cultural imperialism.

For instance, on a BLR-FRA non-stop flight by LH, no German food was offered. Instead the only choices were Indian non-veg or Indian veg...... this after virtually all Indian vegetarian pax had been served their special meals ahead of everyone else. I would have thought you'd choose Air India if you wanted Indian food?

Needless to say, domestic carrier 9W offers better Indian meals than LH (and the former also serves them on porcelaine in Y class).

Likewise, it is hard to get proper Thai food on TG on their routes to and from India and Bangladesh.

Shouldn't the culinary experience (as far as airline food can qualify for this status) be part of the overall experience when flying a particular flag carrier?

Jordan D
1st Jun 2005, 10:39
Got bumped to J on BOM-LHR with BA back in Jan. Top deck, so a more personal service, especially as most of the pax up there decided sleep was the key issue at 1am IST, not dinner. I however had other ideas (make the most of it and all), and the food was top notch. 3 options (or was it 4?) - Indian, European, Veggie - of main, and at least a couple options for starter and desert. Breakkie was equally good - main course had a few options.

From what I could see (and I normally fly in Y, whilst my mother who flies at the sharp end on buisness), BA do a damn good job with their food.

I've only ever had (thus far) one bad BA food experience - 1997, FCO-LHR. Worst food anywhere. But that was a one off.

Jordan

manintheback
1st Jun 2005, 11:52
Be thankful for any food you can get. I learnt the hard way to eat before getting on a plane. After a five hour delay sitting beside the runway at Heathrow followed by a ten hour flight to LA, (not with BA i hasten to add) you might guess the reaction of the Pax when it was announced shortly after take-off that they had er - left the main meals behind.
Fortunately I had one large bar of Cadburys finest for sustenance.

Bumz_Rush
1st Jun 2005, 12:07
I suppose they did not want to upset you tooooooooooooo much...so delayed the nooooooooooo food until tooooooo late....

Omaha
2nd Jun 2005, 12:09
This must be the most publicised dish of pasta ever :O but I suppose it gives food for thought. ;)

On a sobering note my boss is just after giving me a detailed description on what goes on in abbatoirs.

I'm thinking of becoming a vegetarian. :{

ABird747
9th Jun 2005, 19:48
Whinge whinge whinge... try swimming.

Or.... even better.... fly with a US carrier where you have to pay for everything.

Omaha
10th Jun 2005, 12:21
Well ABird747

I have flown with a US carrier to America & back & was adequately fed & watered each way with sufficient choice without having once to further put my hand in my pocket. :confused:

try swimming
Well now ABird747, now you're talking my talk & walking my walk. :D

I did train to be a lifeguard for three years. At one stage I could swim 50+ lengths of a 25 meters pool non stop including some lengths fully clothed & some lengths under water. Alas I've let my fitness slip & I'd be lucky to be able to swim one length at the mo to save my own life. :\

However even in my heyday at the height of my training I stilll couldn't couldn't envisage myself swimming the English Channel or Oirish sea let alone the Atlantic. However thank you for your constructive advice & if you've any other pearls of wisdom like drops in the ocean please let me know so I may act on them. :rolleyes:

Yours truly Athena aka Omaha aka whatever else you would like to call me. ;)