PDA

View Full Version : Jeppesen Oxford Atpl Knowledge Manuals

Parkbremse
5th Oct 2004, 21:29
I'm looking for a good set of english manuals which i like to keep as a reference throughout my career (i'm finishing my PPL in a month's), and have found these, however with 1000€ the whole package is quite expensive. I haven't found any comments or reviews, neither here nor on the web, so i would be very grateful if somebody could give me a short recommendation whether they're worth a buy or not.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
6th Oct 2004, 10:21
Parkbremse,

From your post I understand that you are just about to complete your PPL.

If you are going to obtain your professional licences, you are going to need to pass your ATPL writtens. Now, when you enroll onto your ground school, you will be provided with a complete set of notes covering all 14 subjects. If that place is Oxford, then they will provide all your course material including the Jepp manuals. So either way, you will have all the material required to keep for future reference.

I did not do my ground school with Oxford, however, I did buy a couple of Jepp Manuals to supplement some of my notes (for a couple of subjects I found particularly hard), and I must admit they are very good. I can also recommend the Met CD they have on sale. It is an excellent tool for learning the Met ATPL syllabus.

Good luck with the rest of your PPL.

oxford blue
6th Oct 2004, 10:39
I endorse the last remarks. There should be no need to buy manuals if you intend to undertake a course of ATPL study because your school should provide them as part of the course fees. Also, your primary reference material should be the manuals that your school teaches from, not some other school's, however good.

However, if you just want reference notes out of interest and are not thinking of enrolling on a course, the Oxford Jeppesen manuals are no longer the most up to date. Oxford terminated their teaming arrangement with Jeppesen and the latest set of Oxford manuals is produced in conjunction with Transair. They are in a soft-back cover and some of the volumes (in particular Gen Nav) have been completely re-written.

Details can be found on the OAT website (pilot shop) or at any Transair branch.

AIRWAY
6th Oct 2004, 12:13
Hello,

Yes i have to admit their MET cd is brilliant, i do like the quality of the PPL ground training cds too, i find it much easier to learn like that in an interactive way.

I had a look @ their new ATPL manuals @ Trainsair and they seemed ok, i still need to decide, Oxford or Bristol for ATPL theory.

Regards,
AIRWAY

Maverick
6th Oct 2004, 13:50
Hello there,
I've just enrolled in a course offered by GTS in bournemouth. They publish their own long distance learning manuals. They are pretty good as well.
you can check them out on www.gtserv.co.uk
Cheers!
Mav.

Parkbremse
7th Oct 2004, 09:55
Thanks for your replys!

I'm about to enroll in a distance learning course at one of the two distance learning schools here in germany by the end of this year. However, at least that's what i have been told, both courses have considerable flaws in one or another way, so i was looking for good set of books to supplement the manuals i'll get from the school.

I just had a look at the oxford webpage and found, surprisingly, that their distance learning course offer is in fact cheaper than the course here in germany i wanted to do, so i'm thinking to enroll in their course. Just have to check if it's not a problem to do the theory in the uk and the CPL and IFR training in germany.

Justiciar
7th Oct 2004, 20:41
GTS are very good, and their email feedback is excellent. No high tech CD ROM with the course but personally I find the computer stuff a bit of a distraction when you need to get stuck into the detail. Their notes are good, though no colour pictures! I have had the chance of comparing theirs and Bristol's notes and I would say there is not much between them. Bristol has the coloured pictures but I thought that, for example, GTS' met notes were slightly better and more detailed.

I would say both seem good and Bristol gets pleanty of praise on here, so make your own mind up.