PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive space disappearing?

Cyclic Hotline
5th Oct 2004, 20:33
My laptop is pretty heavily loaded up these days, but until I get my new one I keep running into a problem with disc space.

I get a warning that my available drive space is under 200 MB and that I need this as a minimum for XP to operate. So I delete all the caches and temp files. I have removed large numbers of unused programmes and moved a lot of other stuff to the other half of the partitioned drive.

I am not downloading anything (that I know of) but somehow whatever free space I make, just keeps disappearing. Anyone have a solution?

BLUE SKY THINKER
5th Oct 2004, 21:26
Just a suggestion: If you have never adjusted your System Restore settings it can "eat", unchecked, up to 12% of your Hard Drive (Control Panel > System > System Restore/tab).

Also (Control Panel > Power Options > Hibernate/tab) if you never use this facility over 0.5Gb allocated on disc that can be disabled.

Defrag. may be beneficial.

spork
5th Oct 2004, 23:17
When you delete stuff, are you emptying the Recycle Bin? If you don't do that, the space is not going to be available for other uses.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Oct 2004, 13:01
Cyclic Hotline,

You can also set your Virtual Memory Min and Max sizes both to 384Mb. That will free up some space on your Hard Drive by reducing and making your Pagefile a static size.

Next thing would be to disable Hibernation. You will see a file in your Root Directory called hiberfil.sys which takes up the same amount of Mb as you have RAM in that Notebook.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Then I would go though Add/Remove Programs and Uninstall anything you do not use. ;)