PDA

View Full Version : JAA Medicals

november.sierra
5th Oct 2004, 18:06
As per my previous post, should I be granted a class 1 medical, it will be issued with a deviation. Is the UK CAA currently the only authority in Europe operating with deviations or is this common practice in the other JAA member states as well?

I'm looking to do my training in Ireland so will I be ok for this with a UK JAA medical with deviation or is it a requirement to have an Irish medical when doing the training there? Alternatively, does the IAA offer deviations as well?

As I would like to avoid training in the UK due to exchange rates & living expenses, what is the best option open to me. I've heard that a deviation restricts you to fly G registered aircraft only, so on a modular course, how many modules could actually be done in Ireland?

Thanks for your help!

november.sierra
11th Oct 2004, 13:15
Does anyone know???

Blinkz
11th Oct 2004, 13:25
I'm afraid I don't know, but the best and only certain way to find out is to speak to the IAA and ask them. I think there is quite a close link between the IAA and CAA so that might help.

november.sierra
11th Oct 2004, 13:41
I have sent an e-mail to inquire but no response as yet (sent 2 weeks ago).

Blinkz
11th Oct 2004, 14:51
Try calling them?

november.sierra
12th Oct 2004, 15:50
Assuming I will be granted a UK issued class 1 medical with a deviation on eyesight and this is not acceptable to the IAA, I'm looking to do the following:

PPL & night rating - Ireland
fATPL groundschool - UK
CPL - UK
multi engine: Ireland
IR - Ireland
Hour building - USA
MCC - Ireland

Pressman, I was planning on doing the fATPL groundschool in the UK anyway as there's no residential courses in Ireland, hence this is acceptable to the IAA.

However, I gather that going down this route I will be issued with a UK issued license. Upon license issue, could the UK license then be exchanged for an Irish one?

Thanks for your help.