PDA

View Full Version : Niederrhein (aka RAF Laarbruch) renamed as "Airport Düsseldorf Prefecture Weeze"

virginblue
5th Oct 2004, 15:26
Not sure if they are smoking dope at Niedrrhein thanks to the proximity of the Dutch coffee shops, but Niederrhein Airport has been re-named once again today and is now officially called

"Airport Düsseldorf Prefecture Weeze"

This must be the most stupid airport name I have ever read. Particularly this "prefecture" stuff tops it all as it sounds as if Duesseldorf is part of the prefecture Weeze.

Short form will be "Airport Duesseldorf Weeze".

Needless to say that it took the authorities only two hours after the press conference today to refuse permission for the re-naming as the new name is misleading. This after the airport allegedly retained lawyers for three months to make sure that it does not....

WHBM
5th Oct 2004, 22:14
How many airports does Dusseldorf need ?

Lohausen (the first one).

Then Monchengladbach, aka Dusseldorf Commuter Airport.

Now this one.

virginblue
6th Oct 2004, 08:24
Well, if one starts counting, CGN and DTM should also be included in the list of Duesseldorf airports - they are actually closer to Duesseldorf than "Airport Dusseldorf Prefecture Weeze".

On a more serious note, "Duesseldorf Express Moenchengladbach" has lost all scheduled services since air Berlin has pulled out last year. Their runway is too short, but they hope to have it extended to 1.800m in a couple of years (which again provokes the question - is it needed ?).

One question for the native speakers - "prefecture" sounds rather archaic to my ears. Is this a term still used in modern English ?

The_Bean_Counter
6th Oct 2004, 09:55
My understanding is that NRN is already recognised as a Dusseldorf airport by IATA, if CGN and DTM want IATA designation they can also apply.

blueplume
6th Oct 2004, 12:08
It belongs to the rather long list of mystery airports that Ryanair likes to fly to because it's dirt cheap for them and a pain in the arse for passengers who think that hey are going somewhere near their destination. I suppose you could call approx. 75 km closer to Düsseldorf than Gatwick but it's still nonsense.

I'm from Germany and nobody here would consider an airport that is that far away from their town as having anything to do with them.

It's a marketing strategy, pure and simple. By the time you've bought yourself transport to and from these airports you've spent more than you would have done with a non-low-cost outfit from a more convenient airport at a reasonable time of day that suits you.

"My understanding is that NRN is already recognised as a Dusseldorf airport by IATA, if CGN and DTM want IATA designation they can also apply."

Why on earth would CGN want to be recognized by IATA as a Düsseldorf airport? It already has IATA recognition for where it is, it doesn't need moving. Hell, they won't even drink each other's beer.

MerchantVenturer
6th Oct 2004, 12:45
One question for the native speakers - "prefecture" sounds rather archaic to my ears. Is this a term still used in modern English ?
virginblue

No, it is rarely if ever used in everyday modern English.

I always think of France when I hear the word - a local government area or district there, I believe.