PDA

View Full Version : Navigation Stick???

Tarnished
5th Oct 2004, 15:09
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,5-2004460926,,00.html

Quality journolism.

hoofie
5th Oct 2004, 16:44
I thought the call-sign 'Monkey One' was quite apt considering the back-seaters profession...

Jackonicko
5th Oct 2004, 17:00
I hope 'journolism' was deliberate, young man!

But if it's in the Super Soaraway Sun, surely it's

JAAAAAAAAAAAARNALISM!!!!!!!!

Now if you've time to be posting on PPRuNe, I'm sure you have more useful and urgent tasks to hand.

wheresthewessexgone?
5th Oct 2004, 17:03
Quite impressive ac! Flying at 1363 mph vertically to achieve 12000ft in 6 seconds. I am impressed, as will most of the Sun's readers be if they could understand what two twin engines were!!

That'd be four then!:rolleyes:

Tarnished
5th Oct 2004, 18:08
Touche Jacko, I'll get right on it.......

DuckDodgers
5th Oct 2004, 19:48
What a ****e 'fairy-tale', nothing less expected though from the journos that work at that rag. We wonder why the UK is descending into a second-rate country with a how do you say, that's right a second-rate airforce that we are working for!

unkind43
5th Oct 2004, 20:52
Stuff the cab, I was more surprised that the sun reporter was on the left :)

BEagle
5th Oct 2004, 21:28
But it'll keep Joe Public on the RAF's side! OK - some journo bull$hit, but remember his readers have difficulty wiv long words and their lips move as they run their fingers along the page...

And he's a lucky barsteward to get such a trip with Charlie!

WE Branch Fanatic
5th Oct 2004, 21:55
12000ft in six seconds? Werner Von Braun would have been proud..........

KM-H
5th Oct 2004, 22:53
And flying at 40,000?? When did Sun journos get A1 Cats?

Might be nice if they find some one a bit more equal sized to charlie for the photo call!!!

D-IFF_ident
5th Oct 2004, 23:38
"and for a mesmerising minute even took the controls mid-air."

Does that not call for anonymous letters to the highly paid help???

;)

Melchett01
5th Oct 2004, 23:51
Duckthat's right a second-rate airforce that we are working for

So we've been promoted then?

As one of my very good Colonial driver mates pointed out, originally in jest but you can see his point - we're fast becoming the only third world air force not to fly the F-16.

Interesting to note that even the Sun commented on the "potential" to fit a canon in its premier dogfighter...... hope the top brass can read between the lines:\

Archimedes
6th Oct 2004, 00:11
Sun commented on the "potential" to fit a canon

Wouldn't his surplice be a bit of a FOD hazard??

Isn't it now the case that:

a) the gun will be fitted to all Typhoons

b) the guns will not be used as a routine part of training becasue of the deleterious effects on the airframe/avionics, etc of the vibration, etc from the weapon - but

c) if the aircraft is deployed to a war zone, the work up for the crew will include air firing of the gun.

At least this was the version doing the rounds here two weeks ago...

BEagle
6th Oct 2004, 06:49
".....the guns will not be used as a routine part of training becasue of the deleterious effects on the airframe/avionics, etc of the vibration, etc from the weapon - but

if the aircraft is deployed to a war zone, the work up for the crew will include air firing of the gun"

So, just before you go to war, you learn to fire the gun. Bit of a bugger if it's only then that the true 'deleterious effects on the airframe/avionics' come to light and all the C/Bs go pop or whatever the computer equivalent is.

But, with a Canon, you can take some nice piccies of the opposition you should really be hosing with HE!

maxburner
6th Oct 2004, 07:45
Tarnished and other contributors,

Having read the quality piece in the Sun, I'm surprised you let the ''most experienced Top Gun in the RAF'' quote slip by. Not that I'm being in any way disparaging to Kato, a man I have the greatest of respect for, but surely someone will challenge the claim! Tarnished old boy, how about a debate?

Still looking forward to the brontosaurus burger on my next trip.

Training Risky
6th Oct 2004, 08:00
The forces' favourite paper........! Really?

I didn't know it was my favourite! (I'm aware they have that sort of thing in the NAAFI)

jindabyne
6th Oct 2004, 08:15
Accepting BEagle's comment about keeping Joe Public on side, I'm dismayed by MoD's decision to give the first journalistic opportunity to the Sun - especially when the reporter's calibre must've been known to ALL those that were involved in the plot. 'Brain dead' comes to mind -------

Step into the cockpit Jacko; Joe Public deserves better.

Wigan Warrior
6th Oct 2004, 08:47
Wing Commander Chan was appointed OC 17 Sqn - The first RAF (EF) Typhoon squadron.
17 Sqn, the Typhoon OEU, develops the tactics that will be used by the (to be formed) front line RAF Typhoon Squadrons.
Surely this appointment endorses Wing Commander Chans position as the RAF premiere Fighter Pilot.
Whether he is the greatest Fighter Pilot in the World (past or present) is surely the question?

sprucemoose
6th Oct 2004, 09:36
What do you reckon Jacko?

Looks a bit cramped in the back of the Typhoon for a big lad like you though ... perhaps a scrawny get like me would fit better?

Moose

MrBernoulli
6th Oct 2004, 10:01
"With a weight of just 35,000lbs, the aircraft can do anything without fear of stalling or going out of control."

Oh really? What a load of complete and utter nonsense!

And the aircraft isn't up to much either. I don't think Singapore was really fooled by the travelling dog and pony show a couple of months ago. Neither should they be. Expensive, obsolete plaything.

sprucemoose
6th Oct 2004, 10:15
Unlike the F-15 then Mr Bernoulli?

Tarnished
6th Oct 2004, 11:22
FROM WHICH FONT OF KNOWLEGDE TO YOU DRINK MR BERNOULLI? THE AIRCRAFT IS NOT UP TO MUCH INDEED...

DO ENLIGHTEN ME AS TO WHAT EXACTLY TROUBLES YOU

PLEASE

T

Max Burner Old Chap....

Quiet day in the office?? Best throw a hand grenade into the fight??

There were many many lines that could and should get a response, but we had a "who\'s the greatest pilot" thread quite recently.

I remember when fishermen were not safe on the beach thanks to one of the worlds greatest pilots...... but best let him tell the tale

maxburner
6th Oct 2004, 11:53
Tarnished,

Well spotted. Not so much a quiet day in the office as a calm period before the storm. Plenty of time to pull the pin and toss in the old hand grenade.

This is written in a quiet period of contemplation before the next tempest is unleashed. Oh the joys of the business life. I do miss climbing into the green (or blue) suit and rushing off into the wild grey yonder.

As for the comments on the qualities of the jet - cant remember who they were from - I did have the pleasure of flying it from Warton, and the performance IS astonishing.

Tea-break over, back on my head.

Flatus Veteranus
7th Oct 2004, 18:16
The article is utter crap. But the "broadsheets" would not do much better. Is there a journo writing in the national press who knows one end of a military aircraft from the other? None that I have noticed! Beags, you have missed your true vocation. ;)

Jackonicko
7th Oct 2004, 19:47
Though I might be taller, I doubt I'm much stouter than the said Wing Commander, Sprucey. I'll fight you for the slot - you have a more important influential readership, I probably have more flying hours, more hours P1 and more hours FJ - and have never, ever, puked in the air.

But the RAF no longer give FJ facilities to the likes of you or I, not when they can fly folk like Alan Titchmarsh, that bimbo who opened IAT, and Jenson Button

Flatus Veteranus
8th Oct 2004, 16:57
Jackonicko

Please check your PM

Archimedes
28th Oct 2004, 23:57
For those a) not fortunate (?) enough to have seen a certain internal glossy, and b) who are interested, the info about the first three front-line units that will operate Typhoon is now freely available on the Jane's website (well, if you can access it, it is).

First will be 3(F) in 2006
Second will be 11(F) in 2007

Both at CGY

Third will be 6 Sqn - members of which should be able to improve their game on a certain well-known golfing links nearby. These are supposedly going to be the first Tranche 2 aircraft.

BEagle
29th Oct 2004, 07:02
This infernal, sorry, internal glossy?:

http://www.gapan.org/news/RAF%20%20Need%202%20Know.pdf

Archimedes
29th Oct 2004, 12:36
That's the fella. Not as 'internal' as some senior type inferred ('Not another :mad: piece of internal comms :mad: ' was the phrase, IIRC...)

Pontius Navigator
29th Oct 2004, 15:40
To read the sun article I have to register on their website.

Lose whatever credibility I have left. No way.

When did this take place as I understood the said Wg Cdr Chan had been posted.