View Full Version : Flight Test Tools in your Flight bag

Shawn Coyle
5th Oct 2004, 13:44
Just wondered what test pilots and flight test engineers carried with them as tools of the trade- things like cloth measuring tapes, stopwatches, etc.
I'm trying to put together a more comprehensive list and would appreciate input.
Thanx

Genghis the Engineer
5th Oct 2004, 14:38
Quiet week between courses at Mojave Shawn?

Anyhow, for what it's worth, the FT specific oddments in my flight bag:-

- Force gauge with a 1m tape measure built into it.
- Dictaphone which records on normal audio cassettes
- Magnetic pick up (plugs into dictaphone one end and tucks inside my headset at the other).
- Home made pad of blank multi-purpose test cards.
- Handheld GPS
- Digital optical tacho (although I need a new one, it broke) for checking calibration on piston-prop RPM gauges (they're usually wrong, sometimes wildly so).
- Folder full of home-made prompt cards on the basic characteristics of the various types that I fly or may fly.
- Cooper-harper flowchart.
- Sheets of graphpaper, with blank scales, cut to the size of my kneeboard.
- Roll of red PVC tape and some scissors (invaluable for as-yet unplacarded limits and reducing my mental effort in tracking them).
- A few blank copies of this (http://www.bmaa.org/upload/techdocs/2004541047280.AW_043.pdf)

In addition some of my more regular items are selected with FT at-least partially in mind:-

- My wristwatch has a built in stopwatch and a velcro strap, so it usually flies strapped to a convenient bit of airframe in front of me.
- I've yet to find the perfect kneeboard for flight testing, as yet my favourite is the "Pooleys K3 helicopter pilots kneeboard", (bottom of
this (http://www.pooleys.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Knee_Boards_29.html) page).
- A couple of generic "suits all types" checklists covering the main aircraft classes that I may find myself in charge of.
- Cheap air-band scanner.
- Scientific calculator.

G

woxman
7th Oct 2004, 01:49
I have a set of "fish" scales in my flight bag for weighing the odds and ends that I carry on the flight....

W

idle stop
12th Oct 2004, 11:11
Digital camera has been a useful development. (Sorry, no pun was intended!) At least one can see instantly whether that vital photo for the report came out as it should.

Dave Anderson
22nd Oct 2004, 14:05
These are all good sugestions.
I would add a set of hand held flight control fixtures for doing step/ramp inputs.
Been out of town for three months.