PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding BA and immigration control in the US

Cyrus664
5th Oct 2004, 12:26
Hey there!

I'm flying over to the States in December to visit my girlfriend, and I've chosen to fly with British Airways. I was just wondering how you feel about them in regards to service, safety, comfort etc.

And also, I was born in Iran, but I've lived all my life in Norway (and now the UK). Do you think I might get stuck in immigration control?

I appreciate any help/comment you may give :)

Cheers!

Re-Heat
5th Oct 2004, 12:43
Make sure you complete the advanced passenger information, so that you don't get any delays at immigration on your arrival. It can be completed online at the BA website, though you may have given the relevant information to the travel agent when you booked.

Cyrus664
5th Oct 2004, 12:53
Thanks Re-Heat, I knew that. I just have to wait until I get my new (machine-readable) passport before I can complete the API.

I didn't use a travel agent. I just booked my flight on the BA website, which I might add, is very good!

Flip Flop Flyer
5th Oct 2004, 13:08
BA is a fine airline. Not my favourite, but certainly in terms of safety you will have nothing to fear. I'm personally less than impressed with their service, but must admit the flat-beds in Business are very, very comfortable. They'll get you there, safely.

You may, or may not, appreciate the comfort or service but that is as much a personal impression as it is contingent on the performance of the cabin crew on the actual flight. They're humans too you know, and whilst all airlines strive to deliver consistent performance, there will be highs and lows.

BA in economy is pretty much like most other airlines in terms of comfort.

Enjoy your trip, and do let us know how you found the new fingerprint/photo requirements.

Cyrus664
5th Oct 2004, 13:24
Thanks for that.

I've flown with BA once, from Heathrow to Oslo, and I must say, it was an excellent flight when it comes to their service and comfort. Something I can't say about SAS, which I've flown with 20+ times! Seems like the standard is much lower there and the crew is a bit cold.

So I'm really looking forward to flying with BA again :)

And yes, when I return I'll let you know how the new rules regarding fingerprinting/photo went. That's also something that should be interesting, as I've never done it before (and I assume few people have).

Thanks again!

The SSK
5th Oct 2004, 14:05
I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but I heard a shocking story last week about an airline industry official - travelling to a US govt agency-sponsored conference as part of the French official delegation - falling foul of the US immigration authorities through some identity mix-up, being arrested, interrogated, cuffed and chained, strip-searched, thrown into jail, denied access to his embassy, generally harrassed and humiliated, and eventually deported.

If I had any connection with a country even remotely connected with the 'Axis of Evil', I don't think I would travel to the US unless I had to.

Cyrus664
5th Oct 2004, 15:27
Yes, that is pretty shocking!
I know someone who travelled to the US a few months ago, and prior to his trip, he went to Iran to visit his family. He "only" had to spend 3 hours in the immigration office (and miss his flight), because they wanted to run a security check on him. This man is well-respected, well educated and is the head of the mathematics dept. of a very prestigious, private London college, and obviously he had done nothing wrong, which the immigration officer also found out. He's also been a UK citizen for well over 30 years!
It's understandable that the security is neccessary, however there is a right and wrong way of going about it.
What both he and I found amusing, was that this incident happend on his way OUT of the States :)

Anyway, I am aware of the different stories, but I can't let that run my life. We have to go on with our business as usual, and hope we get treated fair. I mean, if you haven't done anything wrong, then why be afraid?

MerchantVenturer
5th Oct 2004, 17:03
desk jockey

Interesting about the chains.

A couple of months ago there was a UK television programme telling the story of a number of British citizens (mainly white with no connection with the Middle East, nor as far as I could tell with Islam), who were similarly treated by the US authorities for such offences as leaving the US on a previous occasion without 'checking out' of the country. When they tried to re-enter they were banged up as you have described, despite their pleas that they had left the US officially and it must have been an American admin mistake that their departure had not been recorded.

Anyway, back to the chains. When asked to comment by the programme makers the USA authorities denied the use of chains. However, a few days later they said the use of chains in such circumstances would no longer be permitted. I never did follow that logic.

From your story it seems the chains are still clanking.

I can't help wondering what would be the reaction of the US administration if Britain treated some of their citizens in this way.

Golf Charlie Charlie
5th Oct 2004, 18:04
I can tell you from my own experiences in the last two years (when all departures from the US have supposedly been recorded) that some of my exits from the US appear not to have been recorded. I can tell this because the next time I enter the country, the immigration officer with his new whiizz-bang computer system has clearly not been aware of one or two departures and appears to have a list of more entries on his system than exits. I haven't yet been banged up, but you'll all be the first to hear of it if I am.

Hawk
5th Oct 2004, 18:39
This man is well-respected, well educated and is the head of the mathematics dept.
So was the Una bomber at one stage. :hmm:

Cyrus664
5th Oct 2004, 19:20
Where you getting at? One intelligent man turns out to be crazy, therefore all intelligent men are?

I was merely giving a description of the person. I'm not saying anybody with a smart suit should get different treatment.

eal401
6th Oct 2004, 07:55
So was the Una bomber at one stage.
That must be the stupidest comment I've heard in a long time.

Cyrus, I suspect you can expect some checking but this might depend on a number of things. Firstly, what passport do you hold? Secondly, what visas do you have from other trips abroad?

One of my colleagues is Pakistani by birth, has a British passport and Pakistani visas from personal visits and Indonesian & UAE visas from business. He travelled to the US last week for a training course and did encounter some questioning relating to these visas. It had nothing to do with his ethnicity as a white British colleague had greater interrogation through having Saudi visas. However, both entered the US with no difficulties, all these checks having be conducted at the UK end.

So, I'd expect something to happen, but with luck you should have no problems.

Daysleeper
6th Oct 2004, 08:53
The not checking out of the USA is an interesting one. I've scheduled in a couple of times in the last few years to pick up aircraft for delivery and had real problems finding someone with any interest in taking our details when we leave. In the end we just faxed the INS but we never recieved any reply or acknowlegement.
So said the last time I operated into the states on a charter flight we got held by immigration for 3 hours. Apparently the handling agent had forgotten to inform them we were coming so we were not on the computer. It was a classic.
INS " you need to fill this form in"
ME " ok give me the form"
INS " they are only avaliable from the office in the main terminal"
ME " ok I'll go get one and fill it in"
INS " You may not pass this line without the form"
ME " can you get one for us"
INS " we are far to busy"
Me "WTF?"

Catch 22.

In the end (3 hours later) we managed to get a sympathetic aircraft cleaner to go get the form for us. Then on the way out no one cared a bit
Crazy country. Go to Canada instead, they are much nicer.

Cyrus664
6th Oct 2004, 11:38
That must be the stupidest comment I've heard in a long time.

Cyrus, I suspect you can expect some checking but this might depend on a number of things. Firstly, what passport do you hold? Secondly, what visas do you have from other trips abroad?

One of my colleagues is Pakistani by birth, has a British passport and Pakistani visas from personal visits and Indonesian & UAE visas from business. He travelled to the US last week for a training course and did encounter some questioning relating to these visas. It had nothing to do with his ethnicity as a white British colleague had greater interrogation through having Saudi visas. However, both entered the US with no difficulties, all these checks having be conducted at the UK end.

So, I'd expect something to happen, but with luck you should have no problems.

Thanks for you reply.

To answer you questions, I have a Norwegian passport and no prior visas. I haven't been back to my home country since I moved away when I was about 4 years old.

However, I have been in the US before, a long time ago. I heard they will ask you if you've been there before. Is it important to remember the date and where you went?

eal401
6th Oct 2004, 15:22
I have a Norwegian passport and no prior visas. I haven't been back to my home country since I moved away when I was about 4 years old.
Under these circumstances I can't see you having too much of a problem.
However, I have been in the US before, a long time ago. I heard they will ask you if you've been there before. Is it important to remember the date and where you went?
Not sure, I suspect exact dates will not be important, for example I'd answer such a question with just "in 1999."

I really don't think you'll have any major problems.

Globaliser
6th Oct 2004, 17:38
Cyrus, just thinking a bit further about what you might get asked. Is your girlfriend American, or is she over there temporarily (eg as a student)? Where are you going to stay? Presumably with her? What's her address? Do you know whereabouts in town it is? What sort of accommodation is it?

There may also be the other questions like: What do you do? How long have you been doing that? When do you have to be back by? Where do you live? etc. etc.

If your answers are all consistent and credible, then I wouldn't expect you to have a problem, either. But make sure (from the US embassy website or the website of the INS or whatever its new name is) that you are indeed fully eligible to travel there on the visa waiver scheme.

Also - very important - make sure you have a ticket receipt showing your return ticket details. I assume that you have been issued with an e-ticket. When you check-in, BA should be able to print you an ATB size ticket receipt which is the easiest way of carrying such a document.

As for the travel itself, you don't say which class you're travelling in. About half my flying is on BA, almost all in economy, and I have seldom had any major problems with them. If you say which class you're in, I'm sure we will all chip in with more details of what you can expect, and what you could do to make your flight more comfortable.

Cyrus664
6th Oct 2004, 18:08
Globaliser,

Thanks very much for that. I really appreciate it!

As it states on the US embassy site (http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/visa/niv/vwp.htm), it looks as if I fulfil all the critera to travel under the Visa Waiver Program.

1) I'm a Norwegian citizen

2) I've applied for a machine readable passport, that I will get next month.

3) My travel is for pleasure :E

4) I'm staying only a week

5) I have a return ticket (e-ticket that I've printed out). I'll also try and get that ticket reciept you mentioed.

Apparently, I also have to fill out a Visa Waiver form, but I only get that at the airport.

As I'm merely a poor studet, I could only afford a economy class ticket :)

Once again, thanks for all the info! It's greatly appreciated!