PDA

View Full Version : Thomsonfly recruitment open day

RotaxG1
4th Oct 2004, 20:16
I notice from their website that thomsonfly have a recruitment day on the 8th October at Luton. Looks like they are preferably after type rated guys, would it be worth a non type rated, low hour pilot going along?

HeavyDog
4th Oct 2004, 22:12
I'd go if it was me! If only to be a nuisance!
No harm in jollying along, you'ld never know who you would meet and i've met some bloody interesting and useful people at these type of bashes!
Good luck!

Capt BK
5th Oct 2004, 07:08
Must admit i'm going to the East Midlands day even though I know i'm not what their looking for. If I can at least get to talk to someone and get their advice on my CV etc then i'll get something out of it.

At the very worst, all I can lose is a few litres of petrol

CBK

Localiser Green
5th Oct 2004, 07:13
Ditto here, not type rated but going to the EMA day on 12th, have worked out the people who will be there that I need to pester with questions, and making other useful contacts should be invaluable.

Like you say, if nothing else what is a few litres of unleaded anyway?

Gin Slinger
5th Oct 2004, 08:58
CDK - I suggest you download and fill in an online application form, as Britannia don't accept CVs.

As with all airlines, what the ask for isn't necessarily what they get...I fortunately know from personal experience!

Localiser Green
5th Oct 2004, 09:08
Gin Sligner is right, AFAIK if you fill out the app form and take it on the day they will take and process it for you. Can be downloaded from the Brits website.

Britannia are one of the few airlines who have taken low houred, non type-rated fATPLs directly into S/O and F/O positions in the last couple of years.

Off the top of my head BA CitiExpress is the only other, in all other carriers low-timers have only got jobs through either working for them in ops, having a daddy who is or knows someone in high places, or through CTC (ATP Scheme).

EGBKFLYER
7th Oct 2004, 10:37
Any other non type-rated wannabees chancing their arm at LTN tomorrow?

In for a penny, in for a pound - see you there...!

Groundloop
7th Oct 2004, 12:15
Not quite right, Loc Green. I know of low timers who have recently got jobs with GB on the A320 and BMI Regional on the ERJ-135 - and not through any of the three routes you listed.

jamestkirk
7th Oct 2004, 14:30
If you have about 200 hours and a CPL/IR i need your skills on a 747 simulator.

Forget these open days, this is a real chance of employment.

JAL 747 simulator needs Training Captain and First Officer.

Captain: CPL/IR c.200 TT
F/O : PPL will do nicely

Cost p/h : its £2 for 5 mins (very reasonable)

A job opportunity with a difference. Only for the best, looking for the best.

Aplication closing date is not applicable

Who said the job market for low hour F/ATPL's is distressingly bad.

vlad-the-inhaler
7th Oct 2004, 15:06
Ive just been to Brighton pier and unfortunately, after jamestkirks' posting there are now two hundred fATPLs queing up to get in... luckily I have a business mind and am friends with the owner of said 747sim so I was able to make the most of the situation as follows;
I promised the integrated students that they will be the first ones to get a go because they are so young and clever.
I told the modular students that because the integrated students were so young and immature, the captain would want modular fATPLs.
I charged the modular students £20000 to do a half hour type rating.
I charged the integrated students' parents £20,000 to do a half hour type rating (they wouldnt pay until I assured them that they would have to wear a uniform)
I hired the chairman of Ryanair to drive up profits, he routinely fires the new pilots after 20minutes so I can sell more type ratings.
Now, if you want a type rating...you have to pay £150 for him to interview you (dont worry, you get that back if you are successful...but even after you do the type rating, theres no guarantee that theres a job for you)
Wheres BALPA in all this you ask? Well, theyre campaigning for you, surely you must be able to tell that by the nice magazine you get every month? Dont worry though, because this weekend, they have arranged for Southend pier, margate amusements and blackpool pleasure beach to come in and give a talk about working for them. Except they havent got any jobs and BALPA will want to charge you £50 to get in. Just to cover costs, you understand!

Sky Goose
7th Oct 2004, 15:32
Great analogy (sp?), made me laugh

so youre going to the BALPA thing on saturday?After much thought I thought Id take another one in the wallet and spend the £50.-, I'll probably leave there pissed off and none the wiser !

PS - is the thomsonfly thing not only for cabin crew, cant seem to find any details about flight crew opnd days - or am I daft

cheers

HeavyDog
7th Oct 2004, 16:50
HAHA!
The sim on brighton pier is great! Glad to hear others have attempted to hit the red boxes! Great for pratice while under the influence, fly one handed, beer in the other and cigarette in gob! Just cant seem to get lower than top points even when i've blatantly ignored it's recommended power settings!
Anybody up for a challenge of making a five pint landing with fags in gobs, just let me know!

EGBKFLYER
7th Oct 2004, 17:08
See Britannia website (look on ppjn as I'm too illiterate to get a fancy hyperlink on here). If you click on the careers bit, it gives details of both cabin and flightdeck open days. One tomorrow at LTN and another at Nottingham Kegworth Loughborough East Midlands or whatever it's called this week next Tuesday...

Localiser Green
7th Oct 2004, 17:10
Not quite right, Loc Green. I know of low timers who have recently got jobs with GB on the A320 and BMI Regional on the ERJ-135 - and not through any of the three routes you listed.

Fair enough, I did say "off the top of my head". I know a guy who got into bmi regional in fact so I should have remembered that one.

The fact remains that Britannia / Thomsonfly are in the minority of carriers who are at the moment hiring the low-time non type rated people.

Out of interest did the people you know who got into GB / bmi come from an integrated background or a mix?

Capt BK
8th Oct 2004, 07:48
Just wondering if anyone emailed them for a map with directions as stated on the website for the EMA day? I did a week ago and haven't heard anything yet. I can obviously get to the airport but not sure from there?

CBK

Localiser Green
8th Oct 2004, 08:36
Same here, emailed for map to the EMA day on Tuesday morning but still heard nothing.

Anyone know where the BY EMA Training Centre is?

sickBocks
8th Oct 2004, 08:40
Put the terminal on your RHS when you've gone past it there's a right turn leading round [maybe a roundabout] to the ancillary buildings and from here you should actually see BAL anyway.

Pilot Pete
8th Oct 2004, 08:52
Sorry to dissappoint,

But from what I have heard Thomsonfly (shall we call it Thomsonfly 737?) as opposed to the soon to be Thomsonfly (757/767, formerly known as Britannia!) are not looking at taking any more very low houred frozen ATPL holders for the time being due to the experience level balance being a little low at the moment (due to the number of low houred guys who have been taken on earlier in the year).

That's just what I have heard, so I would certainly attend the open day to clarify the position, but don't get your hopes up too much thinking that you will definitely get a shot at selection just yet.

I hope to be proved wrong for the sake of those looking.

Good luck.

PP

Edited to add that the Britannia EMA Training Centre is on the right as you go from the terminal towards the DHL Cargo Centre, can't remember the road name.....

Groundloop
8th Oct 2004, 11:18
Loc Green, both were integrated from Oxford (pre APP). I also know someone who has just started at BACX who was integrated from Jerez.

Goldwings
9th Oct 2004, 10:05
Hi folks,

Just a quick question, am I wasting my time going along to the open day on Tuesday, even though Im only half way through my commercial flying training? Would the experience benefit me for a later date??

Regards
Goldwings

Localiser Green
9th Oct 2004, 13:36
Any feedback from those who attended on Friday at Luton?

wobblyprop
11th Oct 2004, 08:53
Feedback from Luton is as per the advert in Flight. We are not actively looking for low hours pilots. We need a bit more experience on the fleet at the moment.