PDA

View Full Version : What do i need to do to succeed?

MissManchester
4th Oct 2004, 17:03
I graduated from uni (geography degree - 2.1) in June, since then been working at man airport on check in for experience of working in an airport environment. I had a second interview for ATC in July...but failed. (no feedback) Had an interview the other week for bA cabin crew citiexpress....failed! (again no feedback) All i have ever wanted to do is work in the airport...but despite what im doing, im not having much success elsewhere! Anyone got any graduate positions to suggest? Or other ways of getting into ATC (coz thats what i really wanna do). Any info will be much appreciated!

TRon
4th Oct 2004, 17:10
I heard they ATC to take people second time round so dont dispel that one.

There are loads of jobs at the airport. Despatchingi s one way to get close to the aircraft, although you will be treated like crap by your employers, and generally not appreciated.

I always try to make an effort to thank desptcheers as I know what a difficult job it is.

Do you want to fly, as te CTC Wings scheme might be an option?

MissManchester
4th Oct 2004, 19:20
whats the CTC scheme?

CAT3C AUTOLAND
4th Oct 2004, 19:56
There is loads about the CTC scheme here, may be worth doing a search.

You may want to post in the ATC forum if thats what you really want to do. I am sure someone there will be able to give you some sound advice. However, I am no pro on this but I am sure the only way you will get a job as an ATCO is to get accepted by NATS for the training at Bournemouth.

How about going for your FISO licence? Just a thought.

Good luck.

MissManchester
5th Oct 2004, 14:17
whats a fiso license?

PPWannaBe
5th Oct 2004, 18:10
If you wanna get into ATC suggest you gen up on who they are and what they do. There is some good books available as an introduction and in preperation for the various test, do a search under Air Traffic Control on Amazon.

A FISO is a Flight Information Service Officer, they issue information to pilots to assist in preventing collisions at aerodromes, its a step down from full blown ATC. Barton would seem to be your local FISO unit (from your name), why not pop down and talk to the chaps there.

Other than that why not get your PPL? Its a good introduction to aviation and shows any potential employer a keen interest in the aerospace business.

Best of Luck

PP:ok:

CAT3C AUTOLAND
5th Oct 2004, 20:21
PPL - Private Pilots Licence.

Phileas Fogg
5th Oct 2004, 23:08
Miss Manchester,
Why don't you try somewhere like Barton, see if the ATC there or indeed a flying club want a gofer and work your way up from there.
Might try Emerald Airways at LPL as an Ops Asst, not the best of working conditions but an EXPERIENCE!
Also, BAe Woodford, Airbus at Hawarden, probably other places also, why try to start at the top at an Intl airport, try lower down, become good, then work your way up.

Mowgli
5th Oct 2004, 23:32
Don't give up - be determined, that's the most important thing.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
6th Oct 2004, 10:11
Soul Doctor, glad I made you chuckle, however probably a little unfair of me, couldn't resist.

Joking aside, Miss Manchester, just for your own benefit, it may be worth researching your chosen profession in some detail. If you are asked questions at the interview which are of a fairly simple nature, I don't think you will do yourself any favours if you cannot answer them. Just a thought.

Good Luck.

MissManchester
6th Oct 2004, 16:22
just because i didnt know a couple of aspects of the aviation industry doesnt mean i dont know the profession!!:(