PDA

View Full Version : Which UK ISP for Broadband for MAC users please?

BusyB
4th Oct 2004, 14:51
Any advice gratefully received.

Daysleeper
4th Oct 2004, 16:01
pretty much any of them.

Just dont expect any support at all as no one understands macs.

What you want is one that is not bundling in a "broadband modem" as many of those dont work with mac. Just nip to Dabs or similar and buy a router.

Similarly a "wires only" service ie with no attached email is cheaper as a lot of the free software is not mac compatible. Get a .mac account £67 i think. It integrates seamlessly with your mac, and you can have a range of email addresses
with @mac.com on the end which is cool.

eg [email protected]

www.forum.macformat.co.uk/
and
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=mac

offer good advice.
I use bulldog they are ok as long as you never have to call customer service. My parents use nildram again no big problems. I use a Router (netgear) to connect to my ADSL line and as far as the ISP is concerned that could be connected to a PC or a MAC it makes no difference.
I then run a wi-fi network in the house for my powerbook.

12" G4 powerbook, 12" G4 ibook. iSight. etc etc etc.

Capt Chambo
4th Oct 2004, 18:04
I run a couple of Macs, and I recently chose Pipex for my broadband and absolutely no complaints.
They provide a Speedtouch USB modem and a couple of filters as part of the package. I will probably change to a wireless router soon but the present set up works fine. I initially had a bit of trouble setting it all up (it was finger trouble on my part!) but their tech. dept. were very helpful.

Be wary of Tiscali who will tell you after a couple of pages of signing in that they don't support Macs!

Otherwise I think Daysleeper has pretty much covered it.

Hope this helps.

Daysleeper
4th Oct 2004, 19:46
the nice thing about a router is that it can incorporate a hardware firewall. So with that to defeat hackers and the macs renown immunity to viruses and spyware (ie no one can be bothered to write any) its a fairly secure setup.
If you are going to be running a mac laptop with an airport card then I really do recommend a wi-fi base station. I'm lying on my sofa as i type this :p

BusyB
4th Oct 2004, 23:19
Thanks, much appreciated.

BEagle
5th Oct 2004, 07:29
Not a Mac user, but I couldn't agree more about wi-fi!

Having both laptops able to talk to my combined wireless router/modem from anywhere in the house, plus a bluetooth printer module allowing me to print from anywhere within 25 metres of the printer without having to mess around with plugs and wires is a real boon!