PDA

View Full Version : Radio interference Scone CTAF 128.0

Ascend Charlie
4th Oct 2004, 10:48
Is 128.0 a frequency which picks up interference from your own aircraft?

I realise that very few of you would have had to dial up this frequency, whether at Scone or anywhere else, since the frequency change, but has anybody found that some part of your aircraft's equipment causes reception interference on 128.0?

****CAN YOU PLEASE do a test for me? Dial up 128.0 when everything is running in your bird, and see if you get electrical noise in your headset*****

Three of our machines, all completely different, have such interference. One we have tracked to the inverters - which can't be turned off to stop the interference.

One we tracked to the EFIS screens - which can't be turned off.

One is yet to be tracked.

A call to CASA and to AirServices resulted in the statement that "it just cost us a lot to change this CTAF frequency, and we won't change it again for one operator. You fix your aircraft."

Another response was "It went to the RAPAC meeting and it was passed." Well, of course there was no problem at that time, it is only after pilots have to select the new freq and use it that anybody detects a problem.

So, if anybody else out there has this problem, please speak up. I will also put this in the D&G forum, but because that one is full of moaning Ansett pilots, few drivers who are likely to use Scone or 128.0 would lurk on it.

Cheers:8

md 600 driver
4th Oct 2004, 11:31
we had it 2 weeks ago in a ht2 bloody awful and why do the call it scone why not its real name steve

belly tank
4th Oct 2004, 22:33
Charlie,

I will give it a go on the next flight, however from cessnock im not sure how it will go, im in NCL but next time im up that way ill let you know if we get the problem.

cheers

Ascend Charlie
4th Oct 2004, 22:58
You don't need to be in Scone to do the test - I am trying to see whether 128.0 is a frequency that just picks up interference from your own aircraft - not from anything transmitting on that frequency in the Scone area.

So anybody, if your aircraft has inverters, please try this frequency when everything is running, and report back?

Thanx
AC