PDA

View Full Version : Does Sim time count??

Capt BK
4th Oct 2004, 08:41
I know this may sound like a simple question but does Sim time (from the CPL/IR) count towards total time when writing a CV?? It was only an FNPT1 but there again it was an approved course by the CAA.

In the past i've always left it out of everything as it doesn't count towards total time in my logbook but just wondering what other people think about this?

While i'm on the subject, a lot of exaple CV's mention the ATC. Does any employer really give a damn that I was a cadet 10 years ago?!?

CBK

Megaton
4th Oct 2004, 08:57
You can put whatever you like on your cv: it's your document and there is not set format. However, sim time will look like padding. Frthermore, FNPT I's are usually fairly generic so including time on one of these is unlikely to impress anyone.

ATC from 10 years ago is also hardly relevant. They want to know about what you do now. Only qualifier to this are academic qualifications which obviously should be included regardless of when they are achieved.

Really don't wish to sound harsh but it sounds like you're trying to fill your cv out somewhat? Are you concerned that your recent hobies, interests and achievements aren't going to impress the airlines?

Capt BK
4th Oct 2004, 09:30
Thanks for the quick reply HP, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head (and it wasn't harsh:) )

I'm sure i'm going through the same stage as most wannabee's where they finish the course, put everything down on a CV and think "Is that all I've got to show for 4 years hard work!". That will be me in the "another low hours guy" pile:(

I suppose I am trying to fill it out a bit, but I'm not one to twist facts. I must do something because I hardly ever watch TV and only get to the pub once or twice a week (thats only due to financial restraints thought;) ) Back to the drawing board...

Megaton
4th Oct 2004, 09:36
Just been through same process myself. If you want I can e-mail you copy of mine. I'm low-houred too so have tried to emphasize different aspects of my experience. Feedback I've had is that the cv itself looks pretty good even if my age and hours don't! :( PM me with your e-mail address if you wish.

Cumulonimbus
4th Oct 2004, 20:57
In answer to the question; no sim does not count.

I'll qualify that, based on what I think was your real question. Do prospective employers wish me to include simulator time in my total flying hours? The answer to that question is a very clear NO.

Whilst Ham Phisted quite rightly says it's your CV and you can put whatever you like in it, but the objective of the exercise is demonstrating that you have the level of experience that the employer is looking for. You could claim that you were previously Commander of the Star Ship Enterprise if you want, but few would believe you!

Also to amplify this point, many First Officers claim P1 U/S as P1 (Command time). It is not and never has been. When an airline quotes it wants a minimum of 500 hours P1 time, it wants to know how many hours you have in command of the airplane, not when you happened to be actually handling the conrols as an F/O.

Experienced recruiters can see through all of the interesting ways in which pilots try to present themselves, but this can be time consuming to get to the real truth and actively work against you by causing them unecessary work to extract the real picture.

But, there again, as HP says, it's your CV and you are free to say what you want.

Rgds

Cb

Pilot Pete
5th Oct 2004, 11:09
Top tip;

Try to be objective with what you put on your CV. Think what the VIEWER wants/ needs to see rather what you think would be 'good'. This will help answer questions like including sim time etc.

Good luck.

PP

edited to add that there was a lengthy debate about this earlier in the year, I couldn't find it using search as it doesn't allow searches on words less than 3 letters long, so CV related subjects may be tricky to find!

scroggs
5th Oct 2004, 11:50
Don't include sim time in your total; your CV will be thrown out. Simple!

Do include references to ATC/CCF/Air Scouts (unless it's just to say that you were thrown out for stealling the charity money!). They may not be terribly relevant to your current search for employment, but they do indicate a long-term interest in, and commitment to, aviation. As many of your interviewers will be ex-ATC/CCF/Air Scouts, it'll give them something to talk about with you - and don't underestimate the importance of that!

Scroggs

YYZ
5th Oct 2004, 12:29
Ham Phisted

Your mail box is full?

YYZ

Megaton
5th Oct 2004, 12:41
Thanks, I'll delete some stuff...