PDA

View Full Version : Barbados to Bequia

SoftTop
4th Oct 2004, 05:58
I'm planning a trip to the area for late next year and would appreciate any advice on how to get from Barbados to Bequia (and - unfortunately - back again:sad: ).

Any comments on quality of service of the few small carriers would be helpful, as would any indication if any of them offer "deals" for travel industry employees.

I've also heard that there are "shared charters", but looking at a few of the offers on the websites, they don't seem to be any different pricewise, or in schedule times (charter, to me, equals flexibility).

TIA

ST

Autobrake RTO
12th Oct 2004, 09:18
SoftTop

Trans Island Air (TIA) used to operate shared charters out of Barbados to Bequia and the other islands but they ceased operations about 2 weeks ago.
You might check out Mustique Airways and SVG Air, they should do shared charters from Barbados. The other option is to fly into St Vincent on Liat or Caribbean Star and then take a short flight with Mustique or SVG Air to Bequia. There is also a ferry from St Vincent to Bequia if all else fails.

In terms of 'deals' for travel industry employees, TIA used to but I cannot speak for Mustique or SVG Air.

Hope this helps........

Autobrake RTO

SoftTop
12th Oct 2004, 21:41
Thanks for the reply Auto.

I'd already found one of the operators mentioned and asked them a few questions about the service. The "shared charter" seems more like a scheduled flight as there isn't anything in the way of flight flexibility compared with their schedule. I can only assume that it's one way of getting round some of the licencing rules.

I expect that if I wanted to have an entire aircraft to myself, or for my party, that the flexibility might creep in. I do realise that there are a limited number of aircraft and that they do have to operated a scheduled service in order to make efficient use of the fleet, but, what does "shared charter" ACTUALLY mean? Is there some change in the insurance rules applicable to pax, or is there some other benefit for either the operator or pax?

Just confused :confused:

ST