PDA

View Full Version : Brain tumour, getting back in the air

bertha
11th Feb 2001, 03:40
I am recovering from treatment that has hopefully rid me of my tumour(anaplastic astrocytoma). I would love to hear from anyone who had a similar scare and had their class1 returned, cheers

eden
14th Feb 2001, 04:52
I know of someone who has just had a tumour removed and about to be treated with Chemo.

I can't go into anymore detail here but I could contact him and maybe introduce you both by email me - in the first instance please email and we can look into it further .....

I wish you a successful recovery
best regards

[This message has been edited by eden (edited 14 February 2001).]

shaymey01
19th Feb 2001, 07:04
Is it possible to fly Commercially with moderate hearing loss in one ear correctable with a hearing aid?

billswire
4th Jun 2004, 17:53
Hi,
I too have recently been treated for a grade II/III astrocytoma, and after talking to the CAA (who were actually incredibly supportive I have to say) I am classed as 'temporarily unfit to fly'. I'm just a PPL but am desperate to get permission to fly again...

I'd be extremely interested in any stories anyone has about getting a medical back after this kind of thing.

p.s. I never had a fit/seizure, should this make it easier? Anyone? Would it be easier to go requalify in the US and simply use a FAA PPL & medical? Are they less strict about these kind of things? I hear that they usually are...

thanks for any help in advance,
=bill

mad_jock
5th Jun 2004, 14:55
If your still allowed to drive apply for a NPPL.

It will allow day VFR flying only

MJ

billswire
9th Jun 2004, 15:26
Hey, thanks

Would a NPPL allow me to fly a complex single (CSU / retractable, etc.) given the right instruction?

ta for your help;
=bill

mad_jock
9th Jun 2004, 21:39
www.nppl.uk.com

I have been out of instructing for 9 months now so ain't as up todate as when i was instructing all the time.

Couldn't find it in the current lasors.

best place would be apost in Private flying.

MJ

Obs cop
10th Jun 2004, 11:16
Billswire,

Re: the NPPL,

For ab-initio NPPL issue, it is limited to simple single engine piston a/c. However, it allows more complex types with wobbly props and retracting u/c to be flown up to a max weight of 2000kg. Normally the licence would require that you did some differences training, but I wouldn't know about how it applied to your experience or previous training. Drop them a line on the link above as it may be you could swap straight to an NPPL for £132 and continue as normal with a complex type.

Regards

Obs cop

MACC 29 all the time!!!!
24th Jul 2004, 09:38
I am a controller in the UK and am just coming towards the end of chemo, after having also had radiotherapy for an AA grade III happy to say my last 2 scans now show me to be in Complete Clinical remission. Unfortunately I have been advised by the companys doctors that it is extremely unlikely I will ever control again. In fact since the new JAARS medical came in at the start of the year I am no longer even able to instruct in a simulator or examine. I know the question was posed by a pilot but thought I'd add my experience. By the way I too have been advised by the CAA that I am temporarily unfit. So likewise if there is anyone out there that has been through this and got a class 1 back, I too would love too hear it.

Re-Heat
27th Jul 2004, 16:35
A recently retired Concorde chap had a tumour or two removed, and returned to flying once sorted.

Best of luck

Airbus Girl
29th Jul 2004, 08:09
shaymey01
I have heard from a friend of someone who recently became the first airline pilot to be allowed to operate with a hearing aid.
He challenged a CAA decision.
So it would be worth a call to them.

bertha
3rd Oct 2004, 16:47
Just like to say thanks to those pruners who offered advice.Although not flying,I have beaten my cancer.

thanks
bertha:ok: